Thread: Masten Gregory

Liked: 319

Default Masten Gregory

M.G. would have been 80 tomorrow, Feb. 29, though as a leap year baby he would have only had 20 birthdays...

He was my first racing hero, to the point I named my oldest son Masten Gregory Hollowell.

R.I.P. Masten. You were the THE MAN!

Kip

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default The Kansas City Flash

Masten Gregory was as fast as any other F1 driver on his best days and was, at one point, highly praised by none other than Jim Clark. He was the first significant American driver to move to Europe and ran in F1 before Hill, Ginther or Gurney. He won LeMans along with Rindt in a worn out NART Ferrari. Anyone with a serious interest in this amazing character and in that incredible racing era will truly enjoy reading his biography MASTEN GREGORY: Totally Fearless by fellow Kansan, Michael Cox. By the way, Gregory was also a key member of the driver contingent in McQueen's film LeMans.

Liked: 210

Masten was one of my really true boyhood hero's because, he was the ONLY F1 driver wearing glasses. That meant I too had a chance LOL
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 1

I remember the article in Sports Car Graphic, (anybody remember that mag?) in 1965 of Masten Gregory and Jochen Rindt winning Le Mans. I must have been in 6th or 7th grade at the time. Seeing that he wore glasses gave me hope that I too could drive a race car when I grew up.
    Robert

Liked: 94

If I would have read this two days ago, I would have celebrated. I'll have to wait another four years......MG was cool before it was cool.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default sometimes a bad boy

anybody out there know how he ended up losing a ride with Drummond Racing (?) in the mid sixties.........this was probably in the USRRC driving a McLaren MK. whatever, (the Group 7 car that had a nice little rear wing ala the Chaparral 2C) alongside teammate Skip Scott

Liked: 319

If I recall correctly, he overslept/got caught in traffic/whatever on race day one time and missed the grid call. The team was not amused.

The bigger question was why he never got another decent ride at Indy? He went from back of the field to 5th in 30 laps the only showing he had. 1966 I believe, so a third of the field was wiped out on lap one. I never figured out why he didn't get another shot.

Liked: 353

Driving a BRP no less and there wasn't much less than a BRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    If I recall correctly, he overslept/got caught in traffic/whatever on race day one time and missed the grid call. The team was not amused.

The bigger question was why he never got another decent ride at Indy? He went from back of the field to 5th in 30 laps the only showing he had. 1966 I believe, so a third of the field was wiped out on lap one. I never figured out why he didn't get another shot.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Thread Information