Liked: 8

Default Necessity of having older HANS certified

When SCCA announced that H&N restraints were required for this season there was language that stated that older HANS devices had to be sent back to be inspected and a SFI sticker attached. In November of this past year Race Memo RM 11-10 was circulated which basically said that the SFI was requiring devices to be certified every 5 years, but because it was not in the current GCR it was recommended but not required. Can someone please clarify if I need to send my unit back to have a sticker put on? I remember it was a basic charge of $75.00 + any parts such as upgraded quick release tethers.
    Thanks
    Greg Kokolus
    NCF #30
    PRS RH-01

Liked: 41

If your HANS has an SFI or FIA sticker on it already you are good to go. If the HANS has a FIA sticker, there is no requirement for further recertification. The FIA sticker trumps the SFI sticker even if the SFI sticker is more than 5 years old. Basically, the HANS must have either a SFI or FIA sticker on it. The HANS usually has both. Mine is an August 2005 vintage and it has the appropriate stickers.

Some of the very older HANS do not have any certification stickers, they are the ones that have to be sent back to HANS for recertification. Basically, the HANS must have either a SFI or FIA sticker on it. They will probably charge you for the recertification and for new tethers. They are currently taking about 2-3 weeks to do this because a lot of folks waited to get it done.

According to a BOD member at our recent SEDIV Convention, SCCA is still figuring out what to do with the SFI pronouncement on the 5 year recertification. At present, the GCR does not require recertification.

Clear as mud??
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Default necessity of having older HANS certified

Ok, so it looks like by being one of the first to use the HANS back in the late 90's I'm having another unncessary cost added to my racing budget.
    Here's my next question:
    I went to the HANS site to send an email about the recertification and noticed that there is a supplier one town over from me that is "factory certified".
    Is there any reason why they can't do the recertification and supply the sticker.
    I know that this may be a question for Hubbard Downing, but if this idea flys then maybe it could help others from shipping to Atlanta and going local if possible.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF #30
    Last edited by PRS56; 01.25.12 at 4:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Necessity of having older HANS recertified

Just talked to Hubbard Downey.
    S--t out of luck! it has to be sent back to either Atlanta or Indy.
    Greg Kokolus
    NCF #30

Liked: 1

Default hans

I just did mine, the certification is the cheap part $15.
    I had to ship mine to Atlanta, another $15, and then new tethers were $100, I also upgraded tethers.
    I think its worth it kinda want to see old age.

Liked: 610

Default HANS and SFI

Greg,
    The reason that your HANS needs to be returned to "Hubbard Downey", is an SFI issue. SFI wants any work done or inspection for certification on an SFI approved item, to be done at/by the manufacture. They would like any alterations to uniforms, seat belts, fire system check/recharge, etc., done by the listed manufacture. That way later on, if there becomes a problem, they know who to talk to.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Default Neccesity of having older HANS recertified

Hi Keith:
    Thanks for your comments.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but why if a dealer is "factory certified" and can drill into your helmet to install the anchors, then why not re-certify an older unit?
    The anchors are a critical part of the system and no less important the H&N itself.
    I know that this recertification issue is a new one and perhaps the dealers will be allowed in the future, but I think you can see the point I am raising about the anchors.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01
    NCF #30

Liked: 99

Guys, if you are running in SCCA you do not need it recertified. SFI 38.1 is fine as is the FIA sticker. Only the tethers are an issue and you can order the kit online and update them yourselves. I just bought a used HANS and did all the research and spoke with HANS directly.
    -Nick

Liked: 610

Default HANS SFI

Greg,
    "SFI wants any work done or inspection for certification on an SFI approved item, to be done at/by the manufacture."
    We stock and sell the Vision+ strap system (I call it the slider) since it was introduced, for those who want to do their own update.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

If you have a very early model that was/is termed "FIA" you will not have a sticker but an FIA number stamped into the carbon fibre. This is the original version of the FIA "sticker".
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 02.01.12 at 6:14 PM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 307

SFI is nothing more than a money gouging crock!

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    If you have a very early model that was/is termed "FIA" you will not have a sticker but an FIA number stamped into the carbon fibre. This is the original version of the FIA "sticker".
    First I had heard of that. Can we make sure that the Tech guys are informed as well?

Anyone take that cause with National?
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Thread Information