Liked: 0

Default 2011 Runoffs Top Three Engines Graph

At this scaling there isn't much you can see; but the result, for the third of the three times we have taken the Runoffs top three engines, is less than 1%.

http://sccaenterprises.com/updates/F...11%20graph.pdf

Two of the three years the best motor did win, but in only one year was that even a 1 HP advantage over 2nd place. 1/173 is not much!! In one case the same motor has been back twice and has improved since the original build to return #1 and then return #2...aging like fine wine?
    Last edited by Erik Skirmants; 12.16.11 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added detail
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 391

Erik,

Just curious where you picked the 1% value from? Looking at your graph, at 6100 RPM Engine C is at 168 and Engine B is a tick ov 173ish. That's almost a 3% spread near the upper RPM range. I know which motor I'd want. I'm not involved in this class but I've spent so much time looking at dyno graphs lately I couldn't help but to notice!

I'll check the raw data....I do see what you see on this graph...I may have focused on the peak values, not at the same RPM...which is not fair...the data hasn't been on my desk for 2 months. (I forgot to post the data sooner).

Yup, that was it... 173.6, 173.2 and 171.8...which is 1.04% However, the 171.8 went on to win another Pro race...after the Runoffs. The top of the window is 174.0...over that and we detune, period...the 171.8 was originally 174.9, so it was detuned and the tiny change we made dropped it to 171.8....SO>>> after they left the track the difference was 0.98%

That is much more than I normally share...but since we are splitting hairs...and only have one dyno, one builder and a maximum window of 1.5% new...the data only makes us look good.
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 391

Got it...I understand how you came up with the 1% now. I've spent a lot of time working with 60hp FV motors where 1% is such a small number it takes some serious effort to make sure small changes aren't lost in the noise.

Absolutely...no system is perfect, but the Mazda MZR is a terrific starting point and with the initial work by Quicksilver on our program, and later consulting we did with Elite Engines; we are about as good as we can be for the cost...a complete new long block, with freshly rebuilt Fast Forward oil pump and everything else cleaned and inspected, then dynoed and sealed is $6350...just to buy one outright complete is $7300. With the typical customer forgetting how many years / hours they ran the math is pretty good (to be fair: so are several of the newer engine programs around). Having one builder in a spec community is what I think works best.
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Skirmants View Post
    Having one builder in a spec community is what I think works best.
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Thread Information