Thread: Oil Temp Gauge

DaleC

If you have a water temp guage on your dash, what is the real purpose of an oil temp guage. Shouldn't the oil temps and water temps be relative to each other or am I missing something else? I don't think I ever noticed any variance between the two in all my years of racing. Thanks, guys.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

I think you might see trouble brewing in the bottom end more quickly with oil temp. Conversely, water temp might be more indicative of a problem with timing or mixture.

I'm curious too. How about it, engine-meisters?
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Liked: 0

For those cold starts from the false grid, an oil temperature up to the normal operating range would probably give a better indication on when it's safe to push the motor to maximum revs.

Liked: 33

I agree with Randy an oil temp gauge is a good indicator of when you can give the engine what for, from my resource list of magazines try reading Circle Track for the engine articles my favorite writer Smokey Yunick no longer writes engine columns in this rag but it is still a very good source.

Thread Information