Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 0

Matt

I am familiar. I have crewed some for an older Ralt. My question was mostly because of being out at the HANS sight and it said a typical formula seat 30 degree from upright and therefore uses a 30. I believe most people are using a model 30 in formula cars, but do not think seats are nearly that upright. I expect most people would be 45 or greater in your car. I was just curious. I have a model 30 and sit in my car at 45.

Liked: 1

Default Seat Angle

Todd,

I use a 30 Hans and that is what we recommend for drivers of our car. Don't get caught up with the exact angle of the seatback...for example....my bead seat has 6" of material between the bottom of the seatback and my lower back....but only 2" at my shoulders...thus I am in the car at a much lower angle...probably around 30 degrees.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Default Updated Computer Images

It's probably time to give an updated view of what the car will look like...based on changes we've made since the original images posted months ago. Here's an image straight from Solidworks that is pretty close....

We'll post some others fairly soon.....

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Default Rear Diffuser Mold

We're now putting the final touches on the rear diffuser shape. There's a few areas where it gets very close, so we've set the chassis on top of the mold foam and we'll now shape it to the exact contour to just barely clear the lower suspension arms. One benefit that you'll notice to our narrow rear chassis design is that we can really maximize the size of the diffuser. No need to remove a-arms to remove the diffuser.

For reference, the total width at the rear opening is 92cm with a small flange at the bottom to add a little strength...just under 95cm as we believe the rules allow. The height of the tallest point is 9" above the reference plane. There is a center section, but it is not as tall and we have to shape it seperately.

Here's the foam stacked and glued...just starting to shape....

...and with initial shaping done....

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Last edited by Matt Conrad; 02.05.07 at 2:40 PM. Reason: typo

Contributing Member rcrockett69's Avatar

Matt,

Does the front of the undertray provide a splitter for additional downforce on the front?

Thanks
    Richard

Default Undertray

Richard,

Not to be over-simplified......but......Yes it does.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Default One last one for the week.....

A few last images for the week....

Front Chassis Fully Suspended....

The chassis is coated in paint (production cars will be powdercoated) and you'll also notice the aluminum pedals are installed. The floor isn't riveted yet (see the clamp) as we don't want to do that until we're 100% ready...removing one of them fully bonded and riveted is no easy task. Off to get some sleep....more of the rear and the fully suspended chassis later in the week.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Hi Matt, would your engineer possibly expand on "Using the computer" and perhaps send a how-to link on generating template slices for cutting? I'm somewhat versed in Skeinforge which he may have used.

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conrad View Post
    As I stated last weekend, the plan to use a large format 5-axis CNC machine for the body plug didn't work out. Our back-up plan was to do it the old fashioned way and start cutting profiles out of wood and filling the gaps with foam until we had the shape of the car.....but our engineer had a pretty good idea for a different plan of attack.....

Using the computer, he took 155 (or so) "slices" of the car (see below) which we could then have waterjet cut out of 1" foam. Each part has the number cut into it as well as pilot holes for PVC pipe to be used to perfectly align all the parts when they are assembled.

Yes, we'll still have some sanding to do, but I'm confident we've shaved several weeks off the build time doing it this way. The cost? About 10% of what the 5-axis CNC process was going to be, and probably not a whole bunch more than if we were to have used the plywood and 2-part foam.

The parts are being cut today and we should be able to post some photos of the nose section by the weekend.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Cars, Inc.

Liked: 7

Default Hey Bro!

Dustin Wright's your contact, now both Engineer and Owner of Phoenix Race Works.

Send him a PM here

Rick Kean

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information