Liked: 4

Default stohr aero update

quick sneak peak of the stohr aero update we have been working on. plug was built on car to minimize frontal area everywhere possible, and we have definitely reduced frontal area! engine air intake is now routed through the roll hoop and then back up and forward of current location in order to get above drivers helmet with out being all the way over the roll hoop. the overall height of the car is more then 7" shorter then 1st gen car. the entire cockpit, head rest surround etc have been reduced quite a lot. side pods are much smaller and accommodate the original setrab oil cooler and a new custom radiator. the undertray is completely under the rear suspension with no holes for a more traditional approach and a very tidy and easy rear end to wrench on. molds to be finished next week, and the cars first race scheduled for 4th of july weekend, but most concepts have already been tested on the first car we did, we just took frontal area reduction more to the extreme with this car. weight reduction was quite significant with the first car and should be even greater with this new car as side pods and engine cover are honeycomb cored and the whole configuration is simplifed with cockpit sides connecting via a head rest completing the cockpit surround like traditional tube cars. we also have new wings front and rear and are quite happy with the performance so far. we have been testing the low drag setup so far this season and have been seeing over 145mph at portland with adequate down force from the dihedral hi camber main plane with flaps as well as an efficient rear wing setup up. we will be testing seattle next weekend running higher down force and then ultimately both cars over 4th of july weekend
    Jesse Brittsan
    Brittsan Racing Developments

here is the first car we did. smaller side pods, air intake shortened 3.5", but still over roll hoop. new pods further narrow the car by 4" more. this car received quite a list of upgrades including dry sump system with tank incorporated into custom chromoly space frame spar which reduced weight 10lbs over the billet spar unit plus the tank is connected to the inlet of the dry sump via an o-ringed tube, plus taylor axles for a huge weight savings, and although they were a bit finicky in the beginning, scotty worked with us and now they have been very reliable. the space frame is quite a bit stiffer as well. many of the body pieces are still basically plugs and thus heavy, but this car still weighs 790lbs race ready with seat in radio, gallon fuel etc. anyway thats where we are
    Jesse Brittsan

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Fantastic work Jesse,

looking forward to seeing it in person.

Very impressed.

You already have two full customers converting their stohrs to your new bodywork and lightened chassis design dont you?

I am sure you will have many more calling soon.. especially 1st gen stohr cars.

is taylor going to make pacific end of this month with your new design at any possibility.

I assume 145mph was portland no chicane.
    Last edited by Nicholas Belling; 05.18.11 at 4:58 AM.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

ASRF1000

Excellent work! You should have many orders for this new bodywork. Always great to see innovation at work!!!

Liked: 0

Default BRD Stohr Project work in progress

For those that are interested in having thier older body Stohr continue to live and prosper, you might find the project that we asked Jesse to take on as a cost effective, functionally sound option.

As much as I like the Stohr approach, I could not afford their body. Jesse siuggested that we could collaborate on a project that would reduce frontal area, reduce weight, make working on the car easier, and ultimately extend our project to replace the stock wing package.

What we have come up with looks like the attached pictures. The car is substaintially narrower, lower, weighs about 40 pounds less, and on that point that weight reduction includes the additional of one of Jesse's dry sump systems. Without anything innovative outside of the body, car and our driver weighed 999, empty of fuel.

We have not painted the car yet so the pics are of the raw glass.

As you see in the pics, we used the original nose and shock cover, as wel as the original wings. We added front winglets, and a small lower third wing element on the rear. Jesse has already put the plan in action for a new wing package which we feel will provide downforce while not inducing too much drag.

Of interest the fit and finish of the body is very nice, clean and snug.

We intend to putin the new light weight batttery, and we may consider another BRD innovation of the rear housing. Right now we just want to get the driver into the car for seat time.

From a performance perspective, our back straight speeds at Portland last weekend were about 8 - 10 MPH higher than the original body.

I had no idea how long it took to do a project like this, but my sincere appreciation goes to Jesse and the various members of the race community who helped him with the project.

The moulds are ready if you think that this is a project you would like to do. Please reach out to Jesse.

ASRF1000

Did you make the underside of the diffuser smooth? That's one area we noticed caused quite a bit of turbulance and drag on the 1st edition Stohr bodywork.

the diffuser is now a left and right side flat floor section with a one piece rear diffuser similar to the original car, only the underside of the diffuser is molded rather then the top, and there are no holes in the diffuser as no suspension runs through it. this makes working on the car a breeze and the diffuser can be removed in minutes. the fit/transition from the flat floors to the diffuser is very smooth, almost seamless. this setup was seeing 145mph on the back straight of portland hitting the rev limiter a ways before the braking zone. we will be adding new wing components similar to the ones on the first car we did for miller to bring more downforce, as we can obviously afford the drag that may come with it. all and all i dont think a 1.11.8 out of the box is too bad considering we finished mounting body work at the track at 3pm on thursday after working all through the night, and had no idea where setup was and no test time, plus a driver that had not driven since this race weekend last year! plus a burnt wire harness that sent the boys and the car up to seattle to have george rewire it causing them to miss all of friday, big thanks to george! plus i had to leave for vacation, so could not be there to help develop the setup. so there is our list of excuses, but still very pleased with its performance. taylor lead most of the sunday race, and we couldn't be happier with that. looking forward to getting taylor up to speed and coming back to play with the fast left coasters! we do have molds for all parts of the car, and the weight of both cockpit sides, both side pods, head rest, and engine cover comes in at 29lbs! estimated weight reduction of 50 +lbs including the undertray, as the dry sump adds about 12lbs. looking forward to collaborating with any other 1st gen stohr owners that may be interested in a cost effective revival of an otherwise quick car.
    Jesse Brittsan

F1000champ

I guess my only question now is how much for a complete kit to change it over (minus the dry sump of course)?

Liked: 8

Default body redux

Having done a lot of projects over the years, I fully understand the amount of work etc. involved with an all new body development,,, and you guys have SIGNIFICANTLY cleaned up th e former design,,, kudos !
    Dave Craddock

Liked: 80

You might do well marketing the (lighter) rear spar replacement to the WF-1/DSR guys as well - they/we are always looking for weight reduction opportunities.

I know you talked a bit about doing this last year - would be interesting to see the final product

-Jake

you mean this guy? we have been running it for a little over a year now, and are quite pleased with it. this is just a pic i have of it after finishing, not sure i have a pic with it in car with the oil tank installed, but it all fits beautifully. kinda stopped marketing it as it would be quite pricey! it did shave 9-10lbs off the car and houses the dry sump tank which is direct plumbed into the dry sump pan at the back. wayne has stated that the spar is not interchangeable between the d car and the fb, something about engine placement??? shouldnt be too tough to mod to fit a dsr car. also not sure how the "ears" would clear the tunnel, as i run the lower part all the way down to the lower motor mount bolt to increase strength and uncapture the chain. chain now runs right through the middle of the upper and lower portions of the ears. anyway, not trying to turn this into a marketing/for sale thread, as we want to keep this thread open as a development thread of the fb car.
    Jesse Brittsan

Liked: 80

Very cool stuff. If it's anything like the BRD dry sump, I bet it's a really nice bit of kit. That thing was really sweet.

Fun projects, and a neat car. F1000 is pretty exciting right now!

-Jake

Liked: 59

Great work! I like what I see!!

Default new front wing for miller

new front wing all finished up just in time for miller. we have kind of changed the direction we are going for now. we are now focusing on improving performance as inexpensively as possible. the new front wing is simply the stohr main plane(narrowed on this car as it was too long) with new flaps and end plates. if we can pull off good down force while maintaining low drag with the use of the stohr main plane, then a potential customer would have to spend less to bring there car up to snuff to compete with the best of the best. of course we have our own main plane on rods car and it works great, so if someone wanted out right best performance, they could opt for the whole enchilada. the new rear wing will take a similar approach...
    Jesse Brittsan

Default BRD Update

Wanted to take a moment to blow Jesse's horn for the work that he has done our car.

For those that knew the McDonalds car, it was one of the original chassis' from Stohr, and quite frankly, as much as we tried, could not get out of its own way last year.

Jesse found a few things in the chassis that we resolved, updated front rockers to a more compliant ratio, we revalved the shocks, updated the engine, and as you have all seen did an innovative re-skin of the car.

A point of economical interest is that we are still using the original Stohr wing package front and rear, with the addition of various front winglets. Jesse has some darn good ideas on other wing profiles which we may try going forward, but this was interesting to take wings which were deemed to not work, and find that that are doing a good job at this point.

What we have now is a pretty darn good race car, we are still learning about what we can do with it and how to set it up to take advantage of the changes we have made.

Our car with Taylor in it dry is 999 LBS, right now ... we have a couple of other projects which might lower that a few more pounds.

To put it into perspective, we put Taylor into the car in Portland after a year of school and no driving and he did a good job. At Miller Taylor was able to stay in the top 2 or 3 of the charts in most sessions and got a second and a win. We had missed wheel size selection (I ran Taylor on 6 and 8"s, I think that Miller was an 8 and 10 track) and I did not get as good of mechanical grip set for us to qualify with Russ, but we were getting closer.

It is my feeling that Jesse's efforts can take any first gen Stohr F1000 to the front of the pack, or at least help the driver get closer.

So now we need to paint the racer as it is still in out of the mold epoxy black.

Talk to Jesse or if I can answer any question, ping me.

And finally, thanks Jesse.

Default Alternative front wing

Take a look at the alternative front wing we developed for the Stohr FB from a current F2000 winning profile. designed to work with F2000 flaps and probably would work best with F2000 rear upper elements for balance: roadracingoverstock.com/wings
    Ross

we are pretty confident in our full front wing package, we were just looking to test a low budget approach to improving these cars. a customer can buy flaps and end plates and install in a short amount of time and have a dramatically improved car for relatively low out of pocket cost, and never remove the original stohr main element from the car. these flaps have been a constant development and produce huge gains in down force with a low drag penalty. we will be running our full front wing package for the runoffs, but would be more than happy to test yours. send me that wing, i will test it, and if it out performs what we are running, we will be happy to purchase it. if not, i will send it back. that offer stands for anyone else with a wing package to offer us. we have a great car and a top tier young driver worthy of testing your products..... we have tested several setups on rods car, low drag, high downforce and everything in between. at the end of the day, lap times are all that matter. top speed means nothing if the lap time is not there. in terms of low drag, taylors car at portland was hitting 145mph on the back straight on the rev limiter. that was with original stohr wings and small simple flaps added to the front. great for low drag, but the car needed more in the front to get through the corners, and the high top speed proves this. you just cant have it all! still, the low drag worked pretty good as taylor lead all of race 2 at portland until a flag confusion at the end. so many options, now we just have to pick the best one for road america!!! contact me for address to send your wings in
    Jesse Brittsan

Default BRD body update progress

First, Happy Thanksgiving to our Southern Racers (ok south of the 49th) Best to you and your families.

Wanted to post a couple of pictures of the BRD Stohr with a coat of paint.

It gave me a chance to go to the storage location and get a race fix during the crappy, raining weather in the Pacific Northwest.

Now that we are no longer Epoxy resin black the racer is looking pretty good. Now we need a bit more personality for the body. Although I did not get many of the body fasteners in, you can see the fit and finish is some kind of nice.

Stuff to think about over the winter.

Again thanks to Jesse for his commitment to this project.

Sorry about pic quality, big Barn not much light!

Craig

Liked: 43

Well done. Thanks for the update. Us Northerners need a some inspiration. The ground is white and it is snowing here on the shore of Lake Superior.

Default a couple of other iPhone pictures

found a couple of pics from the iPhone

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I like

how you guys even got the 2 eyeballs in the cockpit just right.

Nice job Jesse!!!
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Thread Information