Liked: 5

Default Looking for an FB to get my feet wet

I'm looking for an FB car that is ready to race so I can get my feet wet in this calss. Some spare parts and rims/tires would be nice too. Funds are limited so nothing over $15k please.

Thank you,
    Greenfieldmotorsports
    Grant Greenfield

ASRF1000

I'd be one of the first to welcome you into the world of FB, but I have to be realistic. It's going to be extremely difficult to find an FB car for under $15,000, say nothing about being "race ready". There was a VD conversion on here a while back for $20K but it's been long sold.

If you're looking to get your feet wet, the best opportunity may be to find a team with one that may rent out the car for select events, test days, etc.

Don't forget, the cost of the car is just the tip of the iceberg. Operating costs can eat up your budget faster than you anticipate.

So, my suggestion would be; find a team where you can rent the car as needed. You'll most likely get a better bang for your buck.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Hi Grant

Welcome to FThou.
    Very recently one of our ranks had put up for sale a homebuilt that was right at that price point, and was sold somewhat quickly.
    I think you might have a bit of trouble meeting your price point mentioned, but having said that, one of the F1KFF's recently sold an earlier self converted VD for something around that figure.
    A few years ago an even earlier self converted VD was sold, again by one of the F1KFF's, for around that price, iirc.
    It's just that those prices and this class do not come up that often.
    Quite possibly THE deal (I never actually laid eyes on the car) was a Novak/VD conversion that was advertised for 20k iirc, so you might not be that far off from getting yourself onea these rockets.
    Good luck.

PS Have you gone back through the classifieds? Some of the older ads could be good candidates...

Liked: 126

Mike B's RF93 Van Diemen Yamaha was listed for sale for something like $12K from the next owner in New Hampshire. I'm sure you can find it here.

Liked: 713

Quote Originally Posted by ASRF1000 View Post
    I'd be one of the first to welcome you into the world of FB, but I have to be realistic. It's going to be extremely difficult to find an FB car for under $15,000, say nothing about being "race ready". There was a VD conversion on here a while back for $20K but it's been long sold.
    I know of four F1000 cars that have sold in that price range in the last year or so. There are a couple more that I know of that are not actively for sale that I believe could be had in that price range if the owners were to let go of them.

My RF93 has been resold and is now being driven in Time Trials.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I know my price range is low but I have see a number of cars sell for under $15k and have just been to late on the deal. I am in the process of selling my current formula car so once that happens I hope to have more funds to put down on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    Mike B's RF93 Van Diemen Yamaha was listed for sale for something like $12K from the next owner in New Hampshire. I'm sure you can find it here.

I have been dealing on that car for about month or so but someone else was able to put money down before me

Liked: 0

Sorry Grant,
    I've had it for about a month. I was lucky Mike put all the time and $$ into it. That said 15k is still on the low side. It didn't have spares and had one set of wheels that were good for keeping it in the air. I spent a couple of weeks going over it and trying to get myself to fit in it and have put some money into it.

I did take it to Summit Point last weekend for a TT because I couldn't help myself. It was pretty awesome and took about two session to get comfortable. I'm not to keen on doing open session TT's with 800hp winged Vettes, which is what I did. I'll be racing it around here next year, with a few PA hillclimbs and some Cumberland Airport AX's.

These things are everything I'd hoped, I can't believe everyone doesn't want one.

Be patient and you'll find one.
    Fredk

Quote Originally Posted by fredk View Post
    Sorry Grant,
    I've had it for about a month. I was lucky Mike put all the time and $$ into it. That said 15k is still on the low side. It didn't have spares and had one set of wheels that were good for keeping it in the air. I spent a couple of weeks going over it and trying to get myself to fit in it and have put some money into it.

I did take it to Summit Point last weekend for a TT because I couldn't help myself. It was pretty awesome and took about two session to get comfortable. I'm not to keen on doing open session TT's with 800hp winged Vettes, which is what I did. I'll be racing it around here next year, with a few PA hillclimbs and some Cumberland Airport AX's.

These things are everything I'd hoped, I can't believe everyone doesn't want one.

Be patient and you'll find one.
    Fredk
    No apology needed! It was a great car for a good deal and you were able to pony up the cash before me. I'm in no hurry. I have a car to run for now so I will still get my racing fix, I just hope to be able to step it up to F1K at some point.

Thread Information