Liked: 7

Default Trailers on Taconic State Parkway

It's been over 20 years since I've been to Lime Rock. Is it Legal to tow a trailer on the Taconic State Parkway?

SteveO

Liked: 1

Default Ask them

I tried to read the rules for the Garden State Parkway (not the Taconic) on their web site. Couldn't understand them, so I e-mailed them.

I described my truck and trailer to them. They sent an e-mail back saying that I could use the Garden State. I printed that as a 'get out of jail free card' and carried it in my briefcase in the truck.

The Taconic might be a problem, though. This is from their web site:

The following type vehicles are not permitted on the Parkways within the Parkway system, unless authorized under an agreement with the New York State Department of Transportation:
    (a) bicycles;
    (b) buses;
    (c) commercial;
    (d) golf carts;
    (e) hearses, except those operated by or for a licensed funeral director or undertaker while traveling to or from a funeral, interment, cremation, place of death or other destination for the acceptance and shipment of the body or remains of a deceased person;
    (f) house coaches;
    (g) motor-driven cycles;
    (h) school buses;
    (i) semitrailers;
    (j) snowmobiles;
    (k) tractors;
    (l) trailers;
    (m) trucks.

Liked: 157

Default No

taconic, saw mill, Hutch, Sprain are all a no no for trailers. garden stae in NJ is ok

Use route 22 to go North south in NY in that area. 18 wheelers use it

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Wow, I had no idea. Are the roads you can't use marked with clear signage? What is the penalty if they catch you on the wrong road with a trailer?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

steve- try either of these:

NJ turnpike to the George Washington bridge, east on I95 (Cross Bronx Expressway) to I287 to I684 north. That bleeds into Rt 22 north (at I84) and follow to Amenia; right on Rt 44, then right on Rt 112 to the track.

Slightly longer, but avoids the GW Bridge and Cross Bronx which can be very crowded: NJ turnpike to Garden State Parkway north (exit 11?) to I87 South/I287 east across the Tappen Zee Bridge. Follow I287 to I684 north and follow above.

Longer still, but avoids most of NYC: Garden State Pkwy to I87 north to I84 east to Rt22 north.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member

You get a ticket and thrown off at the next exit onto whatever surface road happens to be there. Ask me how I know....
    ----------

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default Trailers on Taconic State Parkway

The answer is NO. I tried it a couple of years ago with a 40' plus trailer. First a lady in a minivan flipped me off. I made it about another 1/4 mile before I met a very unhappy NY State Police officer. My last comment to Bobby before getting on the Parkway was " What are they going to do , arrest me?" The answer is yes. The officer tried to classify my truck as a commercial vehicle, log book, DOT, etc. I finally got him to release me, but he sent me on a road with 10'6" bridges. I am pretty sure he did that on purpose. The short distance that I was on the Parkway was like driving on a cart path at your local golf course. Go around.

Thanks,
    John

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Wow, I had no idea. Are the roads you can't use marked with clear signage? What is the penalty if they catch you on the wrong road with a trailer?
    Josh, the Parkways for cars only will be marked: "No Commercial Traffic." It is not only the ticket you need to worry about. On many Parkways in NY they intentionally built the overhead bridges very low to ensure that trucks and trailers would never be allowed on these roads. Some are as low as 8 feet. Every few months or so a semi from out of state will wander onto a Parkway and strike a bridge, making a big mess.

Liked: 3787

The problem is most consumer GPS units put you on it. It's pouring rain, at night, you're dancing with semis, Garmin says turn... on the ramp is the sign saying you are not allowed.

OBTW, Garmin sells a trucker version of their device, which routes you based on being a semi. About $400... i don't own one.

Also, that wasn't the first time John has had intimate discussions with the law. Shucks, it probably wasn't even the first time that week.

Being totally ignorant, I have to ask, "Why?" I can understand a weight limit if the roads can't handle tractor-trailers, but what is the reason behind not allowing any trailers at all?

Liked: 29

i wish they let you off at next exit... i was one away before trooper stopped me, he made me turn around and go back to previous exit, then had to figure out how to get there on side roads.

Liked: 3787

The road is meant to be a "scenic parkway", so you can peacefully commune with nature. Think "Skyline Drive", or "Blue Ridge Parkway"... except those two allow pickup trucks and motorhomes.

Bob Wright thinks it's New York's gift to him to have his own private race track into the City.

Pickup trucks nor full size vans can be on the Taconic, even without a trailer.

For the record, it is a pleasant, scenic drive... with heavy heavy speed enforcement.

Never again compare Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Parkway to anything in New York or New Jersey.

Liked: 111

Default pickup

Well, that is not totally true... Pickup trucks ARE allowed as long as they have passenger plates on them, not commercial plates. In NY that means 5500# or less. My F150 has passenger plates and I use the parkways a lot, except when I have a trailer..

Good luck

Us RT 22 from 684.. best route.

Bob

Liked: 238

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Never again compare Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Parkway to anything in New York or New Jersey.
    There are places in upstate NY that do indeed rival those places.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    There are places in upstate NY that do indeed rival those places.
    I know. But you may want to put fresh batteries in your sarcasm detector.

Liked: 238

Well thanks. However, there was no indication.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    steve- try either of these:

NJ turnpike to the George Washington bridge, east on I95 (Cross Bronx Expressway) to I287 to I684 north. That bleeds into Rt 22 north (at I84) and follow to Amenia; right on Rt 44, then right on Rt 112 to the track.

Slightly longer, but avoids the GW Bridge and Cross Bronx which can be very crowded: NJ turnpike to Garden State Parkway north (exit 11?) to I87 South/I287 east across the Tappen Zee Bridge. Follow I287 to I684 north and follow above.

Longer still, but avoids most of NYC: Garden State Pkwy to I87 north to I84 east to Rt22 north.
    Bob, thanks, however I am by-passing the turnpike in favor of 81 to 84 etc. I have heard talk of $50.00 tolls to get from the Washington DC area to Lime Rock via the turnpike.

I knew there was a reason I had not been there for such a long time.

SteveO

Contributing Member

Steve-

I81 to I84 is really a long way...I've never had much trouble coming up the NJ turnpike to the Garden State and I go that way with a trailer all the time. I87 to I84 makes some sense and completely bypasses NYC area. Tolls on the Turnpike, GS, and I87 are there, but not terrible. I guess we've just learned to live with them.

Also a slight shortcut at the end of the trip is take a right off of Rt 22 onto Rt 343 in Amenia then left onto Rt 41 and right on Rt 112 instead of going up to Millerton before turning right on Rt 44. Very scenic and two lane-ish...you'll be right in Rand's back yard.

Edit: After looking at google maps...take I81 to I84; its only about 15 miles farther. :-)
    ----------

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default why no on parkways in NY

The parkway system in NY was originaly devised and designed by Robert Moses to make it easy for the wealthy to get to their summer homes. So he made the overpasses low to keep buses off his parkways and the riffraff off beaches. Expressways came later messing up his master plan. The first parkways, I believe, serviced the Long Island beaches and Robert Moses State Park.

Liked: 14

Stve the fastest way from our area is to get to Scranton then head east to New Bourgh and take 9w north to Poughkeepsie. CR-71 east for about a mile to US-44 to RT 44a to RT 343 to CT 41 make a 90 degreee right onto ct 112 track entrance will be on right.

from poughkeepsie its about 31 miles but it a slow pain in the ass. Its still the best way to go
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

On my racing vacations my wife insists on the scenic route. I have noticed restrictions in the NYC area but no where else in general.

Roughly speaking are you talking about restrictions on ALL roads labeled Parkways in New York state?

Brian

Liked: 151

Default Taconic

Don't do it--they are serious. The Taconic is nice, not crowded but loaded with NYS Police who have nothing much to do.

Lots of good things in the area. Great mansions along the Hudson. I like Frederic Church's near Hudson its called Olana I think.

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Correct, parkways in NY means no trucks or trailers. SUV's w/o a trailer are allowed.

Thread Information