Liked: 295

Default Reynard starter adapter for datsun

My 85 Reynard starter has been acting up. It has a mid eighties starter from a datsun that has an adapter plate to mate it to the reynard plate. It has a bunch of cracks in it. I can get it welded and rebuilt for 300 or I can get it mapped into a computer and cutter and have a whold new one made for 300. While the're at it they coudl make six for 600.

anhybody need an adapter for a datsun starter to 85 reynard (probably other cars and years might be able to use it as well.

the datsun starter including adapter weighs 10#.

tom Walgamuth
    765 490 0275

So I had the starter rebuilt and the adapter welded and put it all back in the car. After about a dozen tries to start the engine the starter was back to grinding and making horrible noises just like before.

So I pulled the starter and found the gear all chewed up. I also measured the distance from the nose gear of the starter to the ring gear and found that the starter was only able to engage about a third of the face of the ring gear, so something is needed there.

And the ring gear will need to be replaced so my next project is to pull the rear end off the car to replace the ring gear. So I will at least do the pilot bearing and the throw out bearing too.

Is there a recommended clutch and pp setup? Of course I will want very light and very cheap and very strong. Heh heh!

Liked: 123

For club ford I would recommend a simple 7.25" Tilton or Quartermaster clutch, the correct flywheel for the class you run in, and a annular throw-out slave cylinder. Which slave cylinder will work may vary depending on what car you have.

The Datsun starter motor is just a Nippondenso unit, many sources for race-modified versions and someone may make the adaptor you need.

Brian

Liked: 127

See this thread, hopefully it'll help you resolve your starter problem. I was in the same boat not too long ago and I finally got through it.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45048

Thansk guys!

Thread Information