Liked: 0

Default Traveling with safety gear

Hello, hello...

I am looking for some advise, or shall I say info. Does anyone have any helpful tips about flying with a helmet, Hans, suit, etc... Really need an insight to the expected hassles from going through safety checks at the airport, and how to avoid them, and how to protect what protects my boy. Thank you forum!!

Jon

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Carry on

EVERYTHING.
    I have a large canvas tote bag that holds the helmet stuffed w/ balaclavas, tearoffs, gloves, and arm restraints, all in the helmet bag.
    Boots to either side, HANS alongside, folded suit on top, all in one bag.
    Works every time, no drama ever.

On the flight back from Seattle a few months ago, I was told that my bead seat could not go on the plane. I informed them that was not acceptable, I flew out here with it.
    Large items on Delta's website shows "Car seats" as the first thing.
    Notice it does not say infant, child, whatever, only Car Seat.

She tells me it's styrofoam (kinda funny as it was in a lg blk plastic bag) and was a flamable type hazard, and I informed her it was most definitely NOT styrofoam. I then added that her supervisor better show up pronto so we could get this settled as I had no way/time/options of shipping this thing back to ATL.
    A bit of a runaround, but it showed up at baggage claim at home, so be warned.

Stand your ground, be polite but firm, quote the carrier's website, or better yet have it printed out, just DO NOT check the racegear - too much of a chance of weirdness happening if you let it!

Liked: 146

You could just wear it all, and be ready if it crashes. Freaks the other passengers a little.

The few times I flew I only carried on my helmet bag, and all the entrails (gloves, hoods, arm restraints) I could stuff in it, which probably wasn't the best plan. I didn't want my helmet jerked around. Marking something "fragile" means that the arc through the air can't exceed 12 feet vertically when it is thrown onto the cart.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 9

I have carried on my helmet, HANS and extra shields with no problems. Just watch for the chuckle-head who tried to fit the Frigidaire with a taped on handle into the overhead compartment. Normally it will "kind of" fit underneath the seat (i.e. no but you can cover it). I have tried to carry on all of the equipment and it worked fine as well. You will usually get the inspection at the metal detector section but, most are pretty cool about it.

Wearing the entire suit and helmet on the plane; probably not advised but, it would be funny as heck. Especially if you had 5 or 6 doing it.

I can see it now, "Is there a problem Sir?"

"Well, I have heard stories about the pilot, and you never can be too careful. I don't like to take too many risks. By the way, could you get me an Orange juice with a straw, a blanket, pillow and how about we get this show on the road."

Last edited by Zambo; 08.24.11 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Liked: 0

I fly back and forth with my gear quite a bit. I have had zero issues carrying on all of my gear. Keep in mind, if you fly on one of those lovely "commuter" jets, your lid may not fit in the overhead. I've given up my laptop bag (minus computer) to keep my helmet with me inside the cabin. You don't want it dropped, crushed or fumbled by the baggage handlers.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 280

I've flown many times with my helmet, no issues, including overseas. Only time I've been hassled was on the commuter prop plane - they insisted it wouldn't fit... which was BS... as stated, stand your ground, know your rights, and no worries. Reminding them that it'll be $2k+ to replace that new custom helmet tends to clarify things for them...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information