Liked: 5

Default How to make a headrest?

I need to make a headrest for my car and I was curious how others have done it. I have bought a piece of the SFI high density foam and was going to laminate two pieces together so it is 2" thick total. I'm not sure what to cover it with. I called up a local leather store and they sell some oily leather that would stand up to the occasional rain race. However they only sell it in half cow sides and I really don't need a $80+ entire side of leather for a the 2 sq. ft. or so I need for a head rest. Any other ideas? Is velcro acceptable for attaching the headrest? My headrest would cover a couple of screws that I occasionally need to access.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 48

Buy a yard or less of thick black vinyl from JoAnn Fabrics (think of old car seats from back in the day). Create a backing plate out of aluminum or wood and drill a hole a hole and place a bolt that fits your mount and secure with nut on the back side so the bolt doesn't spin creating a mounting stud. Then hot glue your foam to the backing plate and then then wrap with vinyl and hot glue it to the backside of backing plate. When wrapping the vinyl to the back, cut some of the extra material out so it glues nice and flat to the backing plate with out any bunching. Hope this helps.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

I was trying to stay away from vinyl and other synthetic fabrics that would melt and burn. Is that necessary?
    Chris Ross
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Call Trackside Tim

He sells, and I used in my last F1000 car a NASTYCAR steering wheel center cushion.
    It's about 6-7" diameter, 2-2.5" thick foam w/ an embroidered cover.
    I'd do as described above w/ the ally backing plate; sounds and would most likely look much more sano than my Sanford and Son approach.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

^^^ great suggestion!

Something like this:

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=25

I'm looking to make one that is wider and fills up the area on the rear bulkhead where my helmet could hit instead of just a small one in the center. What about getting some of the Nomex fabric that is used to cover beat seats with? Would that hold up on a head rest?
    Chris Ross

Liked: 111

Nomex holds up for seats, so headrest should do okay. I use wide electrical tape and it comes out decently well.

Liked: 59

I use the foam cut to shape, and stack layers necessary to get the desired thickness. Then I cover it with gaffers tape, and glue it to the fiberglass behind my head. I really wouldn't be concerned that the heat generated from the burning of the covering for your headrest is going to be a significant portion of the threat to your health in a car fire....

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 159

Default Nomex

I have had nomex over foam on mine for about 10 years now. Fades a bit, but does well in that application

Thread Information