Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosport F2000

Liked: 3787

Default For the Record

Glen, Matt, Nathan, et. al. took me serious and worked on the seat insert Saturday a.m.

OBTW: i didn't really believe Matt had anything in his eye, so we pulled out "rule 20" and made him start from the back for Saturday's race.

The test result:
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.26.11 at 10:40 PM.

Liked: 995

Default Congrats DW

Nice run up the grid!

Liked: 127

Interested to see if anyone puts up video of the start of race #2...lotta cars DNF

Liked: 19

Yea - too tired - but you can guess I'm wound up.....Get your popcorn and wait for it!! I'm going to bed....
    I don't know if you will see the video....I think two kids learned a valuable lesson though - or learned something about one another.....
    Hopefully Craigo isn't too bad as he got gonked on the head with an RFR nose.... Some update on him would be good to see...

Liked: 12

I heard Zach Craigo had a slight concussion but was otherwise okay. Definitely a scary incident, glad no one was seriously hurt.

Matt did a great job this weekend and we learned a lot about the car. Especially impressive since it was his first time at Mosport...which is probably not the best track to debut a brand new car.

Matt provides lots of good material, but the best exchange of the weekend was on the radio between Matt and race engineer Mike Talbott immediately after the first lap incident:

Matt: If you'd let me start in sixth [his qualifying position] I'd be winning right now!
    Mike: More likely, you'd be on the hook.

Second best, also on the radio as Matt came around turn 8: "Hey, look, I'm on the big screen!"

Nathan

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    Interested to see if anyone puts up video of the start of race #2...lotta cars DNF
    I have video of it, but copies are headed to Rand and the gang, per request, before it goes up on youtube.

With Craigo very clearly catching the nose to the head, I'm not sure it will even make it there. It was a fairly nasty wreck with a lot of cars torn up. I have been texting Craigo since yesterday afternoon after the race and have not heard anything back. Any updates will be appreciated. I will not put the video up until he's confirmed "ok".

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Some photos from Qualifying on Saturday

Some Paddock action

Some photos from the Race on saturday

Some of the carnage from Saturday, from turn 5's perspective. I hope everyone is doing ok, as you can see from these flatbed and hook pictures, lots of damage to the cars

I saw Zach and his parents in the corner of my eye as they were leaving medical and I was handing out champange bottles. Made it a bit easier to celebrate.

Liked: 1

I'm glad to report that Zack is OK!
    He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He was released and back at the hotel around 11:30 Saturday night. His parents told me he has a concussion, a big headache and the x-rays of his neck are negitive.
    The Craigo's get back to Colorado late Monday night.
    Dave

Liked: 9

Very happy to hear Zach is OK. He was having a great weekend.

Reading some of the discussion (again) on the safety issues especially with the near miss (again) side intrusion to Gustavo's car reminds me that there is a lot to work on. Sometimes driver safety ought to trump any bickering about competitive advantages.

On another note is was great to see the Radon team fine tuning their new car. Obviously great care has gone into the design both for speed AND safety. I just wish Matt would communicate a little more........

SMR

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Nice run up the grid!
    Thanks, John, but most of it was due to getting through the "big one" in turn 1 unscathed. I did pass two cars legitimately, but it was mostly luck.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 9

Dave,
    You are too modest. That 'luck' thing works both ways as we all know.

Having never been to Mosport it sure got our attention.

Rick
    SMR

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Thanks, John, but most of it was due to getting through the "big one" in turn 1 unscathed. I did pass two cars legitimately, but it was mostly luck.
    Dave, you ran me hard, close and clean, and I had a blast being wheel to wheel with you. The duel down the hill in turn 2 and through turn 3 was great. looks good on the onboard footage too!

Ok video of turn 1 is up. For now it is unlisted on youtube so it can only be accessed by the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsekjC9lfY

From my angle you can't tell much except for the amount of destruction that happened.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Looks like Connery hit La Rocca, but hard to see for sure.

Or maybe vice versa?

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Wow, that front wing definitely hit Craigo square in the head. Very scary.

Liked: 14

video is inconclusive as to fault imo. too many vehicles blocking the shot. Alot of torn up equipment.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 42

Medical updates on Craigo and Rizzo, Statement from F2000 Series, and the "Turn 1" comments from some of those involved at Mosport.

Post-Weekend Notebook is here: http://f2000series.com/news/497-mosp...-notebook.html

Liked: 296

Glad to hear my Colorado buddy is doing okay. Scary, scary, incident indeed.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by SMRacing View Post
    Ok video of turn 1 is up. For now it is unlisted on youtube so it can only be accessed by the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsekjC9lfY

From my angle you can't tell much except for the amount of destruction that happened.
    Another video has a good shot of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_-0SLPH6o

Outside white car looks like they came down pretty quick.

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by RPAUL6 View Post
    Dave,
    You are too modest. That 'luck' thing works both ways as we all know.

Having never been to Mosport it sure got our attention.

Rick
    SMR
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRacing View Post
    Dave, you ran me hard, close and clean, and I had a blast being wheel to wheel with you. The duel down the hill in turn 2 and through turn 3 was great. looks good on the onboard footage too!
    Thanks, I really enjoyed the clean competition, too. I'm done for the year - need to upgrade a few things to get closer to the pointy end. Hope we'll see you next year.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Another video has a good shot of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_-0SLPH6o

Outside white car looks like they came down pretty quick.
    A really cool high resolution video!

Where can I get to see more of these? The only ones on YouTube are from previous years and nothing new has been added.

second video was pretty clear with what happened. From the website sounds like rob and I have missed some interesting racing this year.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

KFAST, We miss you guys! Get with the program.

will be back for the Glen.

Great!
    I think finishing the season up at the Glen is going to be really cool. Fall weather (not the 100 we saw at Mosport), fall color, season end banquet in Watkins Glen... not to mention two great races.

Not to say there was anything bad about Mosport. The crowd there appeared to be the largest we've ever seen. And they love their racing. The track is one of the greats, as long as you stay on it.

Liked: 19

Where do I start.....First off, thanks to the series for allowing me to come back (again)... I was informed that double secret probation never really expires - so made my best effort to stay out of trouble (on the track....). Being in Canada I almost laid down 1-2 hip checks - but I didn't want to get called to the sin bin.... But they would have deserved it if I did....
    </p>
    I still would like to know how a person can file an appeal for a so called rule 20 violation. And so what if my attire offends people - If the series owners weren't so cheap - maybe I would have some new threads on....

Now - the thing in my eye....... That was a direct result of reading this thread while I was away - it just made me so upset I was crying.... And at that moment I was trying to get the tear out of the corner of my eye - because I wanted the few friends I have left to not see me in such a state..... Like the finger, I'm just misunderstood.... thats all.

The Radon went well - ran cool in the heat and responded to the changes we made. We had some issues - we ran out of shock so it was a bit of a handful to manage. Leaked just a little oil......The guy who made the thing hung around in crocks and black socks all day.....It took me some time to get used to the track - but once you realize the problem in lap time is all driver - you take your beating from the engineer and get on with it...Mike Talbott, the Engineer, had the unfortune luck of having to deal with me all weekend......... The last guy he had was Justin Wilson....who only has credibility with me because he drove for Minardi... Mike had his hands full with such a talent....like me....

I don't think I will race that car again - it should be sorted by the next pro-race but it was definetly an unexpected honor to debut such a unique car.... Thanks to Nathan, Darrin and Glenn (and investors) for allowing me to thrash it around the first race weekend...

According to my calculations - I would have won race two starting 6th - no doubt. I did win the Radon class anyway...

I will depart with one story (most of what happens in Canada stays in Canada)....... As we sat on the grid Friday- some kids (15-19) came along... They loved the car - asked all kinds of questions.... The kid said - Does it have a paddle shift? Nah............ Does it have a sequential stick like Atlantic did? Nah............. What does it have?? An H pattern.......... A what? H pattern......... You know 1-2-3-4 in the shape of an H.......... Oh, thats old, said the kid ~ I think it's time for the next big debate to get started........
    Last edited by Matt M.; 07.26.11 at 8:29 PM. Reason: What the hell - the format is gone!!

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    I will depart with one story (most of what happens in Canada stays in Canada)....... As we sat on the grid Friday- some kids (15-19) came along... They loved the car - asked all kinds of questions.... The kid said - Does it have a paddle shift? Nah............ Does it have a sequential stick like Atlantic did? Nah............. What does it have?? An H pattern.......... A what? H pattern......... You know 1-2-3-4 in the shape of an H.......... Oh, thats old, said the kid ~ I think it's time for the next big debate to get started........

I knew it would happen sooner or later...

I think the seed was planted back in about 1980 or so when the Sega Pole Position had a 2 speed sequential - Hi and Low.
    These kiddies grew up on simulation "games" with force feedback steering wheels, and actual pedals, so it was about time that this scenario played out.

I guess the car was so sano, the kid mistook it for an F1000?

Liked: 1880

Next time just tell them that the driver has to actually know what he is doing instead of having technology do it for him.

This was talked about at the FC round table discussion at last year's Runoffs.

If we destroy enough LD200 cases... we will be forced to go sequential. Hewland wants us to replace them with sequential boxes. They have even already changed their price structure to disadvantage the LD200. In their catalogs it is now sold in the vintage section.

Back when i was serious racing, "real drivers" were only able to race and change their spark advance by moving the lever on the center of the steering wheel.

Technology marchs forward.

Liked: 25

Default More Choice

More choice - up, down, and sideways, too. Four gear choices at each shift! Not all good, though.
    - Frank C

Liked: 120

Naah Coop, couldn't have there were more than 2 cars there!

Liked: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    This was talked about at the FC round table discussion at last year's Runoffs.

If we destroy enough LD200 cases... we will be forced to go sequential. Hewland wants us to replace them with sequential boxes. They have even already changed their price structure to disadvantage the LD200. In their catalogs it is now sold in the vintage section.

Back when i was serious racing, "real drivers" were only able to race and change their spark advance by moving the lever on the center of the steering wheel.

Technology marchs forward.
    For what it is worth ...... I have a Hewland JFR in a VD already !! all the parts to use OEM wishbones all that is needed is to take out 2 gears and put in 2 spools instead .. 4 speed squantional in a 2003-2011 VD car DONE .... fits very nice ... lots of details are really nice about that BOX and install is pretty clean and it was pretty cheap as well!!!
    easy UPGRADE !

stay tuned for more .........
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    congrats to Kyle and Chinky another solid showing.

HAHAHAHA Thank you "life coach" !!!! We needed that lol

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ha! Good one DMC

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McCarthy View Post

Naah Coop, couldn't have there were more than 2 cars there!
    Umm, yeah, I guess I did set myself up for that one, thanks for stepping up to the plate and nailin' it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information