Liked: 307

Default Road America race length

The GCR requires that National Races be at least 45 miles in length. All tracks except, Road America, set their race formats to cover this distance with fewest laps just exceeding the 45 mile requirement.

12 laps of Road America is 48 miles, which fulfills the GCR requirement. Why are the race distances for the Runoff's and June Sprints set at 13 laps or 52 miles...once one adds in the pace and cool off laps, the cars are on track for 60 miles, which is pushing the gas tank capacity for cars that are designed to the 45 mile requirement. I understand in the just completed June Sprints more than one car failed to finish when they ran out of fuel.

Liked: 146

Maybe it's because for high-speed RA a shorter race, for many of the classes, would be much shorter than even 30 minutes. Trying to give us (and the spectators) our money's worth, so to speak. I never realized some cars might be at the limit of their fuel capacity there, but there must be some. Add to the fact the RA is the absolute WORST road course in the world for fuel mileage, and you might have a problem.

Perhaps it's a Runoffs/June Sprints thing? A quick search reveals that the RA Cat National races have historically been 12 laps.

Dale V.

Liked: 26

Hmmm. I don't think anyone would struggle to do even a 60-mile race in FC. With most fuel cells holding 6.5 + gallons of fuel and averaging 11 mpg, it's really not a problem.

Maybe it would be a challenge for smaller formula cars with less fuel capacity...

You're the first person I know to be concerned with more miles

Liked: 68

Interesting question.

I know I put 6.5 gal in my 7-gal cell for the Sprints last weekend, and had no trouble completing all 13 laps, pace, and cool-down. I don't think I ever got close to the limit in my old Red Devil, either - but I never ran it at RA for a fair comparison.

Frankly, I would like to have had "just one more lap" at the Sprints....but that's another story.

It would seem a reasonable question, though, to ask how far our cars can go on a tank of fuel. I'm fairly sure it depends partially on the specific fuel being used - ethanol blends won't get as much on a tank, though they might make more total power.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 111

Even with a 5g track in my 500, sprints want a problem. Give me the FE enduro.

Liked: 210

Out here, our 'normal' sprint race length is 40 minutes. We do 19 to 20 laps of a 2.25 mile course with a LOT of elevation change (more elevation change then Laguna).

So, our 'normal' race length is 43 to 45 miles with a MASSIVELY long plus medium straights. We needed 4.5 gallons in the Pinto Reynard to do pregrid run, pace lap, race and cool down lap. NEVER ever ran out of gas except, the one time I didn't put any in the car.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 146

The FM has a whopping (comparatively) 13 gal tank, so typically you're calculating how much fuel to have left to make weight. Back when FM was Star Mazda, the RA races were longer (15 laps?), so with the rotary's horrific consumption and designer fuels, some guys were very close to running out--like spitting coming up the hill to take the checkered.

For my fellow history buff(oon)s...remember the '80s when it CART was racing under the 1.8mi./gallon consumption mandate? For a long time most venues were tough, but Road America was by far the worst. Guys missing their pit window, multiple last-lap lead changes as one car after another ran out on track. Made this year's 500 look like a picnic. How else would Hector Rebaque win an Indycar race?

Dale V.

Liked: 1

Dan Helman and I both have to fill the Crossle 25's again after warmup before we go to grid at the Runoffs. Last year neither car had enough fuel to crank upon return to Houston. Dan ran out in 2009 on the last lap because we didn't top it off before going to grid. Yeah, I know we aren't on the pointy end of the stick and the cells are old style.

James R.
    FF #92

Liked: 72

I ran out on the cool off lap the year I won the Sprints. Embarrassing but I was full at the start. Had to spend $1200 for a larger custom tank for the Runoffs.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Thread Information