47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard HANS padding

28 59.57%
  • Gel HANS padding

4 8.51%
  • No padding

15 31.91%
    Liked: 8

Default Do you use the padding with your HANS/HNR?

I noticed a few weeks ago at Gingerman that my HANS (30-L) was moving around about 1/2 thru the race... The belts weren't loosening as much as I was getting more loose and "spaced out" in the car I think.
    It caused the HANS to feel a little more loose when I pulled in than I'd like.... I'm thinking the pads are getting compressed (stock pads, a few years old).

Do you wear the pads? Does it hurt without them?

Anyone use the gel pads? http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9586

thanks,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 42

I didn't use them. Fit better without the pads for me.

Gel pad weren't much of an improvement.

I have some from zoombang which were the best out of all the ones I tried (I still felt most comfy with none of the pads though) with the device. I can send them your way if you want to try them out.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Good idea

I will have to try using my without the pads. With them I just don't feel held in as tight as I did without the Hans. Did I mention I hate the thing, but once on the race track never notice I have it on. Only driving around the pits is it a pain.

Liked: 42

FWIW the HANS folks have said the pads were only for comfort and that they are not required if that's holding anyone back from using the device without the pads.

Liked: 492

Get the sliding tethers. With them I don't have any problems in the pits.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 956

Default Without pads

I found that removing the pads gave me more clearance between the helmet bottom edge and the belts over the Hans. Easier to see the things I want to see within the cockpit.

I don't notice the hans at all once I have tightened my shoulder belts.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 20

I do not use pads as I would not have enough clearance Hans told me same thing "pads are only there for people that need them Hans was designed without pads." I feel it's more comfortable without.

Mark
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Not only do I use the pads, I cut mine open and added more padding. Helped me a lot, not with comfort just with driving position.

Liked: 3787

When DaveW had his massive crash a few years back he had large bruises on his chest even with the pads, (But, he did survive.) Same with me in 2005.

Kummer had a massive off last weekend (head on, tire wall, moving Jersey barriers). An hour later he was helping us shovel Curveo into his trailer.

Pads, no pads, pink, purple, or black....Wear a Hans!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

A dual shoulder harness system, 3" belt with the Hans on top of it captured with a 2" belt might be the answer.

Brian

Liked: 9

Default Hans Pads

It all comes down to how your body is shaped, how the Hans sits on your shoulders and chest. As others mentioned, pads are there for comfort only. Some of our larger drivers don't use the padding, others bulk up the padding if they need it (especially thin guys or kids that need the extra padding). We don't sell much of the gel pads either - I think they may help if you've had a broken collar bone and are senstitive in the neck/shoulder area.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Contributing Member

I use the standard pads due to pressure on my collar bone(s), and yes, one has been broken.

I noticed this morning watching F1 quali that Mark Webber does not use padding on his.

Mark
    Mark Filip

Liked: 113

I use very thin padding just at the aft end of HANS closest to my neck. It is actually laminate floor underlayment - not the cheap foam stuff from home depot - but more of a rubber like padding. Closest comparable thing is a mouse pad. It makes for a little give where the HANS sits on my sholders - but it still keeps the HANS from moving around - unlike the base foam which is horrible.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 2

Default gel pads

been using the gel pads with good luck. Did find the straps loosen, but think that is more a strap issue. Once tightened a second time they stay in place. Anohter improvement was to relocate the shoulder strap attachement points closer to the center. That and dog boning the shoulder straps have imporved keeping the straps in place and tight.

Broke my collar bone due to a shoulder strap in an accident a number of years ago. The edge of the bone pokes out and the pads help with comfort. Transfer of load over a broader area should also help in a mishap.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    ... <snip> That and dog boning the shoulder straps ...
    Can you elaborate or show a picture of this? Thanks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 2

Default More details

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Can you elaborate or show a picture of this? Thanks.
    Russ,
    I had the shoulder straps that are 3" wide narrowed in thearea of the HANS to a 2" width, They do it by folding the strap over on itself and sewing in place. It allows the strap to stay in the groove on the shoulders. I had this done by Crow when I had the belts recertified. Found they are the most cost effective and will make these various changes for the same price as rewebbing.

Made these changes on an FM. The two shoulder mounts have a threaded mount welded to the tube behind the seat. It was found with taller drivers, like me, that the straps slid off the HANS. Welding in a new threaded mount 1" closer to the center on each side has solved the problem. Will see if I can get you a photo.

Liked: 111

Do you not typically retighten your belts while driving? I have this loose belt paranoia and crush them tight every few laps anyway.

Thread Information