Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default General Question

I just attended the Bobby Rahal vintage event at Barber. Fairly good atlantic/F2 turn out if somehat eclectic. My question is why are not more vintage atlantics attending these events? Great track, extremely well run, fantastic amenities, organized events, community support, named drivers, lots of track time, etc.

I know there are more and more events asking for one's racing dollars and that must be a factor but one would hope for larger groups given the number of these cars out there.

Just asking.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 29

Default Charles' General Question

Charles:
    I'll take a stab at this one. If you're curious as to why not more F70 cars are participating in the Rahal events specifically, I would suggest that $850-$950 entry fees
    may have something to do with it. It certainly kept me away from Barber this year even though we had added the event to the Monoposto calender. I appreciate they put on wonderful events with great "amenities" but at a $300 premium over the typical SVRA event it just doesn't work for me. I'm fine with our Friday afternoon Monoposto socials.
    On the other hand, none of this helps to explain why we've seen such a dramatic drop-off in F70 participation at the traditional venues where the entry fees have remained somewhat constant. I ran a lot of events last season and seldom saw more than a small handful of Monoposto F70 cars. Lots of Indy Lites, RT41s, Swift 008, but damn few "vintage" Atlantics, with the exception of Lime Rock in Sept., where we had a full grid of cars. I've got a dozen theories as to what has happened but no need to bore you with my rantings.
    Thanks for bringing up the question, it's one that needs to be discussed.

Thomas Fraelich
    Monoposto Board Member/Super Vee Director

Tom,

Thanks for the response. The numbers you cite are a bit off as the entry fee for Barber was $700 with a $100 discount for early entry. I understand this is still a bit more than SVRA/HSR. Some may not feel the access to fully air conditioned and catered facilities, two fully catered evening parties and the excellent organization (far better IMO than SVRA/HSR) is not worth the difference. If we look at the facilities and amenities, plus the increase in the costs incurred by all sanctioning bodies, I can understand it. I don't like it but it seems this is the cost of doing business. I think there are too many racers who say "if there's an established class/run group I'll enter but not until then." IOW, they are not willing to get involved and provide the necessary initial support. I know it's not a cheap class but it is the class chosen.

Thanks again.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 29

Default Charles' General Question

Charles:
    The info I quoted for the entry fees came directly from the LOM website. I saw no indication there of any discounts for early entry. Is there an alternative program available that supports that $600 entry you refer to? Obviously, at $600, it's a bargain. I'm just not prepared to accept that $850 entry fees are the "cost of the class chosen"

Tom,

I agree it may be confusing. $350 for two annual memberships to LOM. Includes:

2011 MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS:
    • Legends of Motorsports' Annual Membership for two people-Driver/Member and Associate Member
    • Annual Hard Card credential for Driver and Associate for easier event registration
    • Legends of Motorsports Member Welcome Gift
    • Entry forms for all Legends of Motorsports events delivered as soon as they become available
    • $100 discount on Legends of Motorsports' entry fees (per event)
    • Discount on all Legends of Motorsports merchandise
    • Assignment of permanent 2011 race car number
    • 10% discount on additional guest credentials for each event
    • Access to event photos, videos, forums and other exclusive website content
    • Complimentary issues of Icon, Legends of Motorsports' Official Newsletter

That provides a $100 discount on each entry so with 3 events that almost makes up for it.

The entry fees do change per event. It is $850 for Tremblant. High, yes. I have expressed my concerns to Peter, Zak and Bobby. I don't know if the international nature changes the fee structure. While the amenities are usually pretty nice many are not willing to pony up for them. (Believe me, the air conditioning at Barber was a great thing!)

I guess we are just finding out what he market will bear. I know they want to raise the bar when it comes to these events, including good race reports (look at the website - all of the session times are posted) and other niceties.

Thanks for the comments.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Since we were discussing the Tremblant costs. It's now Saturday eve at Tremblant. Organization of the event has been flawless, including registration, parking, and organization of track activities. So far . . . . sessions have been on time with full track time available. The amenities are better than average. While the trackside catering is pretty much the norm, the sponsored party last night at the Westin was beyond the pale. Open bar, heavy hors d'oeuvres, and flowing wine. Normally these parties wind down pretty quickly when the food runs low. Party started at 5:30 and was still going at 8:00, with food still available. (They did run out of Champagne - the cretins!) Probably 200 attendees, including the principal owners, as well as Stefan Johannsen who is driving Zak Brown's Benneton.

HMP is trying to establsh itself as the primary force in vintage/historic events and I think they are on the right track. Next plan is to work up some sort of atlantic series. I've heard rumors of an atlantic reunion at Tremblant next year. For those who have never visited this track . . . you are missing probably the best track in North America. The Spa of the Americas.

And, NO, I have no connection with HMP, LOM, or any other organization. I just like to see people enjoy the sport for what it ius, and they certainly do that here.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 0

Default Atlantic Series

Charlie,

Peter McLaughlin and Murray Smith have established a Formula Historic series for 2011 with races at Mid Ohio, Lime Rock, the Glen and NJMP. We only had a few cars at Mid Ohio but the entry for Lime Rock is over 20 cars I am told. F2 and FA cars make up most of the entry.

I agree on the Mt Tremblant HMP event; very well run indeed. What a fabulous track that is!

David

Thread Information