Thread: Nomex

Liked: 7

Everyone,

Does anyone know a good source for sheets of nomex? I want some black nomex to cover my custom foam seat in my FF.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA
    http://www.chrismore.com/

Liked: 0

Pennon (Bead Seat) sells it.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Yea, Pennon will sell you the material and a can of spray adhesive for $100.00 as least, that's what they charged me. If I was you, I'd call TrueChoice first and see if their material is nomex. In their catalog, the kit is $29.00.
    Bill Hetzel

Bill,

I checked out truechoice.com and this is what I found:

https://secure.vbcomm.net/store/deta...EX+CLOTH+BLACK

I will have to measure what I need but that would probably be all I need. 60" x 36".

What kind of adhesive do I use?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

That's a much better price!
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

I just bought the nomex from Truechoice and I am glad I found it cheaper. Does anyone know a good adhesive to use for the foam and nomex?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Chris, page 53 0f the 2002 Truechoice catalogue, their part number 3m08074. It worked great. You can also get it at your local NAPA store. I will try and get the 3M part number tonight.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

Take the seat and get it sprayed with RhinoLiner. It will NOT come off, it will not burn until well after you do, and it is easy to clean, impervious to fluids, and gives the seat more mechanical integrity.

Contributing Member

Chris, The 3M p/n is 051135-08074 and it is called Spray Trim Adhesive. It worked great for me. It has a long tack time, so you can adjust the cloth multilple times. I like the idea of the rhino lining, I was just wondering how it affects the crush rate of the foam. One reason I went with the beads over the foam was that the beads seem to have a more progressive crush rating than the foam, and the foam will not return to its former density once it has been crushed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

True.... I would rather have a bead seat too, but I have just ran out of money trying to get the car done. When I need to replace this seat I will go with the bead.

here's pictures how my seat turned out along with the latest pictures:

http://www.chrismore.com/graphics/ff_042803/default.htm

-Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Chris, use the 3M spray. You can get it at any automotive store. Be careful when you apply the spray and try not to have any small "pools" that will still be wet when the rest is tacky. These can bleed thru the fabric. I know this from experience. My seat has some of these spots that won't come out. Use spray adhesive the same way you would use a can of spray paint. Make sure the adhesive has time to become tacky before you apply the fabric. Start in the middle of the seat and work your way out. Do about 1 square foot at a time. Don't hurry like I did. Good Luck.
    Do they still ski at Blue Knob ?
    Bill Hetzel

Thanks for the tips... i will take my time. I think it may get kind of tricky around my cut-outs for the seat belt.

Yeah, Blue Knob is still around. I haven't been there but some of my friends go there in the winter.

Chris
    Chris More
    Palo Alto, CA

Contributing Member

On the seat belt cut outs, use the scraps from the outer edges as fillers around the edges of the cut outs. Apply these first, then cut an X in the cloth over the open area. Spray some glue on the flaps you created when you cut the X and fold them over. You will end up with four seams in the seat belt openings, but they won't be that noticeable. If you can sew, I can't, you could also make a pattern around the seat belt openings and sew the pieces together.

Thread Information