Liked: 1

Default Does anyone from SCCA ever answer their e-mails?

HI
    I e-mailed: NY region:
    Regional Executive - Alan Nusbaum (wnytechman@yahoo.com)
    Assistant Regional Executive - Jon Wolff (autocrosser@gmail.com)
    Secretary - David Potocki (david.potocki@gmail.com)
    Treasurer - Karen Frieder (kmfscca@yahoo.com

All of these folks looking to see what information the NY region may have information on the PSR Formuls Vee I just purchased, it has a NY code of 043 on the log books, and I was told that was NY.

All I want is some answers about the history of my car... is that too much to ask. If you dont have the answer thats cool at least e-mail me back, tell me you cant help, I'm cool with that too.
    Last edited by racecarguy1968; 05.17.11 at 9:22 AM.

Liked: 3787

The SCCA keeps no history of the cars. The only "SCCA history" is that which is written in the logbook, which should stay with the car.

Maybe with the frame number, Topeka can research if it has been homolagated or not. But that is the extent of their records.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Is this an April Fool joke?

While SCCA may have alot of issues worth criticizing, calling out the Executive Committee of a distant Region because they did not jump to respond to your inquiries about a 35 yr old FV ..... come on.

These people are volunteers for a Region that has made an incredible effort to organize club racing events despite having a small base of active racers. They are also very active in solo and rally. They organized a solo event past Sunday and were probably quite busy with that, among other things.

If you belong to the Region, or even attend a Region event, then you may be warranted in offering criticism, but this black flag is misplaced.

The Frieders are one of the most active motorsports families in this area. I am not a member of this Region but they have helped me numerous times only because I was a racer who needed help. I am sure that Karen or any of these people would have responded if they had information for you.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by racecarguy1968 View Post
    All I want is some answers about the history of my car... is that too much to ask.
    No, it's not too much to ask, but your expectations and reaction to not getting what you want seems too much. What did you invest, a couple of minutes sitting at your computer, typing an email?

Liked: 11

I would start with the previous owners. Like Frog said the race history would be in the log book, but if you knew the names of previous owners maybe a web search would come up with some of the history.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 307

Unless the car is a one off 'home built', contacting the manufacturer is a legitimate source of information. All the FV builders I know have encyclopedic knowledge of who the cars were built for and most all the people who have owned a particular car over the years as well as a number of war stories about the car.

Liked: 8

Default Another source

Is other cars of similar manufacture. Did you post anything on the FV forum to check with other owners of similar cars?

Another source would be the vendor. Unless you bought the car in the back of a WalMart parking lot on a thursday night you might get some information there.

My best suggestion would be to try to get hold of a few other FV guys. Especially if you could trace a little more info about the car...even old paint might be a clue.

If the car has a NY log book, then try looking back through entry docs back in the day when the car would have been new. There are sources, but you need to ferret them out yourself.

Remeber, you bought an old Vee, not the F-1 car that won Monaco....so you will have to work hard, and a little bit of "thank you" goes a long way

Good luck.

Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 29

Default pics and info

Try posting some pictures of the car and what information you do know on the forum. Someone may recognize the car and be able to tell you something about it.

If I've learned anything in my short racing career, the fv guys go out of their way to help one another.

Liked: 5

"All of these folks looking to see what information the NY region may have information on the PSR Formuls Vee I just purchased, it has a NY code of 043 on the log books, and I was told that was NY."

FYI, 043 is Western New York Region; "NY" Region (the NY City metro area) is 023.

Another idea: If you can tell from the log book, what/when were the last races in which this car competed? Many regions, or regional series, post race results online; some (like the NARRC series) also have an online archive. You may be able to find some of your car's history that way.
    Maureen Harris
    FF crew (Joby Graham)

Liked: 1

Default Thanks

Thanks for the Help and I have found that FV guys are very helpful!!
    Here are a couple of pics of the car if anyone knows any history, it would be great
    Thanks!!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

The SCCA re-numbered all the regions in the mid-70s, so if the car is older thaan that the region might be different.

I couldn't get anyhelp on what the old region numbering was 15 years ago.

Liked: 353

Are you sure about that? The club renumbered memberships.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    The SCCA re-numbered all the regions in the mid-70s, so if the car is older thaan that the region might be different.

Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

well, that's what Peter Hilton told me when I tried to get info on my supervee, and he was the club historian.

Contributing Member

Default SCCA-stamped roll hoop number

When issued a log book, the issuing region is to stamp a number in the roll hoop. The first 3 digits are the region's number. The next digits are (usually) sequential and chronological. Regions usually keep a book that indicates who the original owner was when the hoop was stamped.

Oftentimes during the winter rebuilds the stamped number gets ground down or filled our painted over. I would urge everyone to ensure that this number remains visible, as it makes life easier for all involved.

Inside the back cover of the log book is a place to indicate changes in ownership. Most of the time no one bothers to fill this out. This makes determining actual chain of ownership nearly impossible. It's also the reason that famous drivers seem to have owned every third car in SCCA at one time or another.

To find who was the owner when the car was first issued a log book, I would contact the region's chief tech inspector. He probably has the book, and could look it up for you.

Here's a tidbit--on some cars, the roll hoop is worth more than the chassis (not formula cars). We've had instances when a roll hoop was "recycled" into a new chassis, and therefore the roll hoop number doesn't agree with anything in the log book until such time as an inspector notices the problem and then sets about to rectify it.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post

Joby Graham and I have been New York Region members since 1976 and 1979, respectively. New York Region was #23 even way back then.

I think the region numbers may have later changed for computer formatting as the total number of regions exceeded 100 - which may be why NYR is now 023...
    Maureen Harris
    FF crew (Joby Graham)

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by racecarguy1968 View Post
    Thanks for the Help and I have found that FV guys are very helpful!!
    Here are a couple of pics of the car if anyone knows any history, it would be great
    Thanks!!
    Car, from the bodywork alone, appears to be either a Lynx B or a early Caracal C. Contact C. Fred Clark the owner of Caracal Cars at (904) 234-5603 with any information you have. Fred may be able to fill in a lot of the blanks. The basic difference between the Lynx B and the Caracal C is that the B is a Z Bar rear suspension set up and the C is a Zero-roll set up. Bodywork on the two are the same.

Liked: 72

Since the bodywork is still on it hard to tell if it's an original B car. There were many clones made of this brand. The roll bar has been modified and it looks like Zinc zero roll has been fitted. The forward facing trailing arms are pure B car, the C car had rearward trailing arms. The tail section is a later C model Speedway tail. The B had a different tail section.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 4

I was a card carrying member/competitor with SCCA member for 31 years. I didn't pay my dues this year. I didn't get a letter,email,phone call from anyone in the SCCA why I didn't renew my membership for the 32nd year.

I feel, much like the our Federal Government, the people in charge of the club don't give a **** about the members, only about their personal agenda and ego stroke.
    This is why the membership ranks are dropping and the rule book is getting fatter.

If you want to question me on this subject, feel free to Email me at stgallagher33@gmail.com.
    I will answer all Emails.

Sean Gallagher

Why the edit for ****?

Contributing Member

Default Similarities between SCCA and Mother Fedgov

Government is not reason force. It is not eloquent. It is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. --George Washington
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information