Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

For Sale FE new rear tires/Set of rains

FE spec tires
    • 6 new rear tires (never mounted) from Runoffs $150 each.
    • Set of rains fronts and rears (one session) $325
    Tires have been wrapped in plastic in a dark cool enviroment.

Buyer pays shipping from 42629

Michael Crowe
    270-585-2300

Liked: 16

Is that THE Michael Crowe????

Welcome to the class Michael, you are going to have a lot of fun with this car!!

Glad to have you as part of our group!!
    Mick Robinson

Default FE

Thanks Mick,

I sold my Stohr WF-1 and was looking closely at F1000/F2000/FF1600 because of the pro series opportunities. I decided to park myself in an FE as they are a very good value for the $, maintain there resale value and have a pro series as well.

The WF-1 is the most incredible car I have ever experienced and it was tough to part with it. However, I beleive I have a WF-1 lined up for the Runoffs so we will give that another try.

I acquired #24 from Lee Walther and planned on the double Nat'l Mid Ohio this week. Unfortunately the car is not that well prepared and I am going through it like I typically end up having to do anyway on my past cars.

I will give you a call as I have a few questions.

Best regards
    Michael

Default Revised pricing

Reduce pricing:

New rear tires $75 each plus shipping

Set of Rains $250 plus shipping

Michael
    270-585-2300
    mcrowe88@gmail.com

Liked: 10

Michael,
    We met a few times at road america, I drove the red Prince LSR. Nice to see you made the switch also. I haven't sold the DSR yet but moved to FE this season also. I was hoping to make the mid ohio event also but after destroying the trans twice at Grattan I wont be ready for a while.

See you at the track.

Mat

Default Gear box

Mat I look forward to seeing you at the track in FE. Two tranny crunches. Ouch! What were the problems so I might avoid the same?

I will definently down shift using the clutch and will closely inspect the gears every weekend. In fact I have my tranny apart right now inpecting it closely from information I have received from several FE sources.

Best regards
    Michael Crowe
    270-585-2300

The first time appears to be from the pinion nut backing off and pushing the stack rearwards, causing friction at the 2/3 shift fork. The dog ring and shift fork were smoked and completely discolored. The c clip holding the shift fork pin in place failed and the pin to came out. From there on the downshift it turned into a blender. My assumption is the clip failed from the heat. So check the pinion nut each time the trans is apart. It takes a special tool available from your CSR.

I haven't had the time to take the trans apart yet to figure out the second failure. As soon as I have an idea I will post what happened.

Mat

Liked: 79

Mat,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

On all of the Staffs boxes we have done, and the few FE boxes, we have turned the threads out of that nut and turned it into a spacer, no detrimental effects at all, the rear nut preloads the pinion bearing, and you never have to worry about it coming loose.

Any questions give us a call.

Lee

704 658 0940 - Shop
    858 220 0927 - Cell
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Lee,
    Thanks for the input. We were thinking about doing just that so I am glad to hear it has worked out.

Mat

The Trans is now apart and the failure was the new second gear, in particular it broke 9 teeth off of the large gear in the second gear set. Thankfully it doesn't appear any other gears were damaged in the failure.

Mat

Liked: 68

Mat -

You got lucky. I had a brand-new 2nd gear fail at the 2009 Runoffs, literally a couple of hours or so after we replaced the old one due to visible wear. In my case, part of the gear ventilated the right-hand side of the housing and turned the entire thing into a large aluminum paperweight.

I know it's not much comfort when you've had so much trouble, but believe me when I say that it could have been a LOT worse.

I have been told that down-shifting to 2nd too early can over-stress the gear, so I always try to wait as long as possible for the 3-2 shift. I don't know how much this difference this could make, but it's something to think about.

FWIW, I also had my pinion nut back off slightly at Grattan - it was only hand-tight when I checked it last weekend. Regular maintenance checks on these gearboxes are well worth the effort; I don't go more than two race weekends without at least pulling the gearstack and checking everything over.

Hope to see you back at the track soon.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Default Tranny tales

I took the pinion nut off and could see a thread in the nut had peeled off from the last torque. So I am having Lee (WRD) turn the threads out of the nut turning it into a spacer as he suggested.

I have run MK9's and LD200's in other classes and always bought the more expensive Hewland gears over the less expensive Webster option. I never had any gear breakage issue although the classes I ran had smaller tires FF & FC and had less HP than a FE.

Maybe Hewlands are the answer. Maybe not??

Michael Crowe

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by crowe motorsports View Post
    I took the pinion nut off and could see a thread in the nut had peeled off from the last torque. So I am having Lee (WRD) turn the threads out of the nut turning it into a spacer as he suggested.

I have run MK9's and LD200's in other classes and always bought the more expensive Hewland gears over the less expensive Webster option. I never had any gear breakage issue although the classes I ran had smaller tires FF & FC and had less HP than a FE.

Maybe Hewlands are the answer. Maybe not??

Michael Crowe
    I think Lee sells Hewland manufactured gears for the FE, but I'm not positive. He posted about this a while ago, but I haven't seen further information.

I don't know if this includes the new fourth gear.

Jon

Thread Information