Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Hey everybody,

The sidepanels on my RF97 are held on by a few small bolts which screw into threaded inserts in the chassis. I have been looking in the Pegasus catalog but can't figure out what size these things are.
    Pegasus only has 10-32 and 1/4-28 sizes. Both of those are too big.
    What size are these things and where do I get them?
    Also, I'm not sure if they are "insert nuts" or "rivet nuts"? Pegasus has both.

Hello Ennis,

I haven't seen you in a while, how have you been? I don't know which thread size you need but I have the insertion tool with 4,5,6 & 8mm mandrels. Since I know you I will be happy to loan it to you if you need it (I think it cost like $100 or something so you don't want to buy one if you don't have to). Let me know.

I think the difference between rivet nuts and insert nuts is that insert nuts mount basically flush with the surface while rivet nuts have a lip, sort of like a big rivet with a threaded core.

Talk to you soon,

Daniel Dobson

Hi Daniel,

I've been ok. Ready to race!!

I'm thinking that these might be 4mm. The insertion tools for the 10-32 and 1/4-28 in Pegasus are under $10. Sounds like you got the fancy model! I might just take you up on the offer. Do you know of another source to buy insert nuts? Or do you have some?

How's your car? And what's up with Eric leaving us? Has he sold the 92?

Contributing Member

Ennis:

Any fastener supply house should have rivet nuts. McMaster-Carr has them both in metric or English, with both open or closed-end types. The tool to set them is a little pricey, but the creative mind could probably fabricate one out of a cheap pop rivet gun.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 923

Funny thing about this question...I just replaced all the 4mm inserts on my '98 with 10/32's (from Pegasus). The 4mm's fell out on a regular basis and no one ever had any at the track- everybody has 10/32's and they're larger and stronger. the little insert tool (pegasus part #659-3 on page 75)for $10 works great.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

For complete details on Rivnuts check out: http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/intro.html

You might also want to head over to: http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/

and order their free catalog, tons of good stuff. Pages 100 and 101 are the Rivnut/Nutsert pages.

Ennis,

Yeah, this kit was a bit pricey. I checked with Snap-on and got a price right at $100. Then I checked with a local tool house and got a price around $80 for the brand they sold. I figured I'd spend the extra and get the Snap-on, you know, quality reputation and all. The one Snap-on sent was the exact same one the tool place had. Ain't I smart? Anyway, there are twenty four 4mm steel nutserts in the kit. You are welcome to them. (The kit is made by Marson by the way.)

My car is fine. It is just waiting for some routine maintenance and a good driver . I found the source of some of the handling problems I was having. I put heavier springs on the front to stop the excessive roll I was having. I also found my shock bump and rebound settings were way off of where I run them. I had not checked the shock settings in a long time and it seems someone somewhere reset them for me, each one being completely different. I ran a test day at Savannah a few weeks ago and things were much improved.

Eric wants to go to the Run-offs in a car that can compete for the win and he figures he can better do that with his budget in an S2. I do not think he has sold the FC yet but he is trying.

Thanks guys!

I have 3 catalogs on the way. Aircraft Spruce, McMaster-Carr, and a Bollhoff-Rivnut design guide.

I think I'm going to copy Bob and replace them with 10-32's. I'll get my insertion tool for $10 instead of $100 and then go tell everybody that Daniel has ten times the racing budget I do. hahahaha

For what it is worth, McMaster-Carr has their catalog on line at:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/

Have ordered from there many times and internet service is great.

Chuck
    Chuck Lessick

ZATgraphics.com
    2006 Top Private Team Cooper Tire Series

Thread Information