Thread: Tach Jump

Liked: 0

Another question today ...

I've got a Elliot electronic tach in my 96. In fourth gear, going as fast as she'll go, the tach needle jumps around a bit (+/- 200 RPM) (quite annoying when trying to tweak top gear and makes me worry about over reving). I have a Crane X700 ignition with the optical pickup in the distributer. I thought an electronic tach would be rock steady. Bad coil (tach gets its signal from here, I think)?
    Brian
    Ex '96 Van Diemen Owner

Liked: 68

You might want to try something I wouldn't live without. At the beginning of this season I installed a sequential shift light (green, then yellow, then red) which sits atop my Pi dash. By the end of the season everyone in our region with a Continental had one. Basically, you don't even need to look at the dash, except to check tmp. & pressure a couple of times a lap. Looking straight ahead at the road, you will see the lights in your peripheral vision. The lights are programable (you set what rpm's you want each light to go on)and also come with a little digital rev counter. This really beats having to peer at the dash every gear change.

This sounds like an outstanding idea. Is this a commercially available product or something that was fabricated. It it was a store-bought piece, where can we all get one? If it was hand-made, can you give us a rundown on how we can duplicate the piece?

-doug
    GREEN means GO

They are commercially available. If I remember correctly it is made by SPA, although I'm not sure if it is the same SPA who make side mirrors. I ordered out of a catalogue. I will have to go back and look through to see which one I ordered from. Could have been Pegasus, but I'm not sure. Having these shift lights really makes life a lot easier.

Found it! Truechoice (go to links above to find ther website) has it. It is called a SPA three-stage shift light. Retail price is $199.

For any of you interested in the Spa Shift Lights you can find them among other products at SPA's USA website located here: http://www.spatechnique.com/. I'll post it on the LINKS page.

------------------

Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen

keith@formulacontinental.com

"Somebody call 911!!! Keith hurt himself again..."

Thread Information