Liked: 0

Default VIR dbl national role call

Hey guys, anyone plan on going to the dbl national at VIR April 15? Would like to go but so far only two guys are signed up. Don't want to truck it all the way from Orlando if the number of FE's is low.

Liked: 53

I will be there !
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

Liked: 29

Justin Huffman and I are planning on being there

Liked: 11

I'm planning on being there as well. Figured we'd have a big turn out??

Jim

So who's gonna be there for the test day? $325 if you sign up by 4/1 and $375 after. No mention of money back if you decide not to run. Anybody think it makes sense to sign up ahead of time? Guess I'll wait to see the weather.

Jim

Liked: 9

Regretfully, I can not make it. However, this is THE double to go to. A ton of racing talent comes to play. The FE field is professional, courteous, fast and FUN. I count 7 so far and most of the Southeast regulars have yet to chime in.

Jim - As for the practice day, it is worth whatever they are charging. The track is challenging if you want to compete near front. Pucker up and pray when you decide to go through South Bend at full tilt. Long straights and fantastic braking/passing zones make it fun as all get out. Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel though. FA, CSR, DSR and some other group occupants make your mirrors a necessity. Thankfully, the straights allow all to get some separation.

Have fun!

Zambo

Liked: 2

I`m in.

TK

Liked: 14

I'll be there
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 6

We are looking to start the season there w/ Shaun Miller driving the former Mike Pope FE

Bruce Work

Liked: 59

I'm registered now...from 10Kmi away on an iPhone. Ain't technology wonderful? My "role" will be impersonating an actual driver. Hope not to impersonate a pilot this year Coming in from 14 time zones away, I just hope I can wake up for Group 1. See you all there!
    Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Default useful things

What it used to be isn`t what it is anymore either. Any chance they will let us run one race out of a double weekend the opposite direction? Maggie says this is the way roundy-rounds should run, with the final direction(lefty-lefty or righty-righty) decided with a coin toss 30 minutes prior to start time. What do you think? It would kinda be a double standard if Nascar addopted this cutting edge margeting concept before FE. Don`t ya think??

Later,

TK

Not this weekend, of course. I have not properly prepared for Turn 1 backwards

Liked: 53

While that's a novel idea , you have to think about runoff room and tire walls . They're all placed based on cars travelling in a certain direction. Obviously the circle-jerk boys can get away with this idea much more easily . However, I think Houston Motorsports Ranch is run clock-wise and counter-clock-wise. Maybe this is something they can try down there if they already don't for a double weekend.
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

Liked: 14

They do that with the bikes at little talledega and I think at gingerman. Although they usually pick one direction for the entire weekend.
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 42

'End' of the back straight being Oak Tree would be interesting. 20 feet of runoff room if you go counter race.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy Kinloch View Post
    What it used to be isn`t what it is anymore either. Any chance they will let us run one race out of a double weekend the opposite direction?
    Hallett apparently runs backwards occasionally.....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 16

TK, are you crazy??? With only a 30 minute notice, I would only get one wheel castor set!! I would need 2 hours notice, and that is if everything goes right the first time!!

Go the wrong way, holy shamollie.....
    Mick Robinson

Liked: 4

Well that's what would make it most interesting: decide right when the pace car pulls out, so you pick your setup ahead of time. Gamble on left, or gamble on right. Then see how many laps separate the lucky from the unlucky.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Sorry everyone, I am a bad procrastinator. I meant to post this 4-1.

Liked: 59

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]WTF Kinlaw??? I’ve seen you go through T1 at VIR (well, name the track…and the corner…) backwards more often than frontways! Of course I’ve gone [halfway] through in ways I’d wish on no man.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I’m drunk in Tokyo, and absorbed enough REMs for today…launching East in an hour. I’ll be at VIR on Tuesday. Can’t wait.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Best regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Eric[/SIZE][/FONT]
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Eric,
    What I really meant was to actually race the course backwards. I guess some tranny changes, but other than that?? We could call it "The Grand Prix of Mirrors" It could really help the development of the young guys. I personally been getting too deveoped for 10 years or so. Come on Mick, I know you are thinking how to do it!

Looking forward to "track times", see ya

Maggie, ooops I mean TK

any results from VIR?

Schneider, Gallagher, Wolfe.

Rettich gambled on rain tires and it dried out too quickly.

thanks where was/is
    the info located?

Quote Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
    thanks where was/is
    the info located?
    I was there. Not sure where it is online.

Liked: 9

Ok. It's Tuesday Morning and I have YET to hear the skinny on both events. Inquiring minds want to know!!

Did Air Marshal Cruz and his amazing flying machine stay close to earth?

Did Tilden remain pointed in the correct direction?

Did Scott gain at least 20 or 30 lbs so he can't just run away and hide on everyone ?

Did Jamison take over for Justin and march that car to the front of the grid?

What in God's green earth is Jay putting in his cars?

Where is Mick?!?

Let's hear it; what is the scoop?

Hey, Zambo. I have taken over Tilden's account temporarily. We missed having you at VIR. The field was great!

Saturday's race was a a big weather gamble. There were several last minute tire changes. Those who went out on slicks made the right choice. Paul S, had a great start, jumping several positions. Not sure what happened to Jason, but mid-race he had dropped back. Both Patrick and Justin drove very consistently. Scott and Andrew were on rains. Rettich stayed out but could not keep up. Andrew pulled in so he would not cook the tires. Tilden was P1 for drivers over 26.

Sunday's qualifying session was impressive. Great times were turned. Joel Janco in Mick's car had another bad incident. He was collected by a DSR at Road Atlanta. This time it was an FA that punted him. They were able to get the car back together before the race. The finishing order was Rettich, Gallagher then Wolfe. Paul blew his engine in qualifying and did not get to start. Lee Rackley ran Kevin's extra FE car and unfortunately submarined it in turn three. That is a shame since he turned a very nice qualifying time that morning. Prior to the race, Richard Grant's corvette broke and there was a question about oil on the track. After about lap six everyone fell off the pace. Tilden was having a great run until a small incident in turn one (no damage, thank goodness.) Justin got around him and opened up too much of a lead for him to catch up. As usual with the mixed group, there were many incidents of cars being held up.

Eric (on the anniversary of that terrible accident last year) ran very clean both days. He has put the new body work on his car. It looks great.

Are you planning on coming to the Pro race? Mick indicated in Atlanta that he would be running the FE that weekend. There will be lobster and bbq to look forward to.

I don't know what Jay is putting in the cars, but I would love to know!

Liked: 111

I don't know what Jay is putting in the cars, but I would love to know!
    A full tank of youth...

Damn kids.
    jim

Liked: 29

combined age of the podium on sunday only beat my age by a couple years....

now if i can only exercise my butt into knowing turns are more fun if taken faster, i could move up to being a mid-pack runner instead of tail end charlie all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post

What in God's green earth is Jay putting in his cars?
    Pat and Jason are just quick. And they're only going to get better as they get more used to the cars. In the paddock they'd just jump in and drive. No drama, no obsessing over setup changes every sessions, etc. Plus they sure looked like they were having fun too.

Scott never really ran away and hid from them on Sunday. He kept a gap but it was by no means comfortable. I think at one point he misjudged some traffic and Pat was right on his gearbox. Both Pat and Jason were very consistent and quick late in the race as well.

You are right about the kids. It was both sad and funny to see the young podium. They did give them non-alcoholic champagne, right?

You are right about the kids. It was both sad and funny to see the young podium. They did give them non-alcoholic champagne, right?
    Yep, they got the Martinellis bottles. Kudos to SCCA for having some around.

Tasted like apple juice
    Thanks to JAY Motorsports for a great car and crew all weekend!

I went by Jay's space several times that weekend and saw what he puts in the cars....nothing but good hard work!! The cars were perfect every session and the kids, errrrr young drivers did a great job. However, Scott Rettich and the Hippie crew did not let anyone down and showed that there is some work to be done by the new guys to beat the National Champion!!

Congrats to Paul Schneider who won on Saturday and held off the Jay challengers, Jason Wolfe and Patrick Gallagher. Again they both got right on the leaders tail only to have the leader pull out a small lead.... How about Scott Rettich running on rains and finishing 4th! Do you know rains will turn into slicks if driven long enough in the dry??? Justin Huffman was running him down and in one more lap might have caught Scott.

Cruz looked great for arriving from 14 time zones away. I wonder if he came home the "short' or "long" way. Rackley showed up and got into Kevin's spare car and did good for being out of a car for 6 months. New guy (he is did his 5th weekend in an FE and this is the last referal as "new guy") Patrick Linn improved every session and is now getting the handle on the car.

Good job by all. Unfortunately, Joel in the RMS car had another incident that was not his doing. At Atlanta, he slowed to miss a spinning CSR and got hit from behind and pushed into the sitting CSR. At VIR he got run over by an excited FA driver that was trying to set his qualifying time in the 15 minute session in the morning. There were a couple of drivers looking for the FA guy......

A great weekend with 12 cars there and lots of good racing.

Some day I'll make it out on track, I promise........
    Mick Robinson

Hey Tom, isn't 12 cars enough for you to tow from Orlando??? You missed a great weekend.
    Mick Robinson

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Robinson View Post
    At VIR he got run over by an excited FA driver that was trying to set his qualifying time in the 15 minute session in the morning. There were a couple of drivers looking for the FA guy......
    Details??? Hope it wasn't me!!!!
    You have to agree that Sunday morning the track was at it's best and any improvement in lap time was to be realized in the short session.

Compared to 2009 I'm sure Eric will agree that this event went much better with the exception of two sport racers trying to mate at turn 6 on Friday. The flagging was outstanding and most of the cars that I experienced in overtaking were aware I was coming through. With a 10-15 second per lap difference an FA driver must use patience and an FE driver must use his mirrors, with that being said there are some corners at VIR that overtaking should not be attempted.

Mick, I had every intention of going to VIR but my brand new trailer had other plans. After loading my kids (into the truck not the trailer) I watched hydraulic fluid poor out of the bottom of it. Not what you want to see before a 12 hour haul. But thanks, I had almost pulled myself out of my depression for not going!!! Looks like it was a really good turnout. Now that the trailer is fixed I am ready to go....what could possibly go wrong!

Thread Information