Thread: VIR video

Liked: 3787

Default VIR video

I have spent the last 12 hours trying to create two videos from the many clips I took on Sunday. One for F1600, and one for F2000.

Unfortunately, I am at wits end.

I took all the video with a JVC Everio (GZ-MG330) HDD camera. Evidently it records in some proprietary JVC format. In the past years I have only been able to use some JVC supplied software to edit and produce video to download to Youtube. The software is something called PowerDirector 5 NE Express. Today i was able to edit all the F2000 race and add titles, etc. with the PowerDirector...(about 5 hours of work)

But... I can not for the life of me, get PowerDirector to 'produce' (compile) a file in mpg format so I can ship it to Youtube. I have reloaded the software three times. Major frustration. I used this s/w in '09 and '10 successfully. Now, when i try to 'produce' it just sits and spins telling windows it is "not responding".

I can view the raw video on the camera, and on my TV, so I haven't lost the raw footage yet. About 40 different clips. For F1600, I have video of everybody on grid, every car leaving grid, all the laps past S/F, and all the podium ceremony. But I can't get it to youtube.

I'm ready to throw this $$ JVC camera in the Gulf. It's a shame, the clips look good on my hi-def TV. But getting them from the camera to a youtube acceptable format seems to have become an impossible task.

Being that i am obviously not tech savvy...

My question to fellow Apexspeeders: What camcorder can I buy, with what s/w, that has an easy method to edit the clips, merge, and get out to Youtube? (The JVC has a 35x optical zoom, which was nice for catching some far away action.)

Anybody know an editing s/w that will take in the JVC raw footage and get it in a format i can ship off to youtube.

I just don't have another 12 hours to waste on this effort.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

And the State of Florida paid you to do what? Warms my heart to see a pro annoyed by this kind of BS.

Liked: 36

Screw youtube. Can't you just put it in .wmv and put it on the F1600 site?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 3787

PowerDirector has been the tool I have used to convert the edited .MOD files (from the JVC camera) to a web device format such as .wmv. Now I can't get it to work. Unfortunately it is the tool that i have been using to edit the clips, add titles, add music, etc. Now I have fully edited 'projects' that I can't compile into web device compatible formats.

I found a "MOD converter" that converts JVC/Canon .MOD files to formats such as .wmv. But then I need to buy a new video edit s/w that is Vista compatible.

Turns out my expensive (to me) camcorder was built before 2008. Since then most companies now build a .MOD to .wmv converter right into the camera's internal s/w.

Maybe my plan will be to buy a "modern" camcorder (instead of one that is a whopping 3 years old), and new editing s/w. Those are buying suggestions I may be looking for.

Liked: 23

Have you tried renaming the file from .MOD to .MPG? On my panasonic camcorder it saves as a .mod but I can simply rename it and it works in QuickTime with the mpeg plugin.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 111

Agreed that simply renaming .mod to .mpg often works.

Afterdawn is a fab place to go to find out about video conversion of anytype. The guides there are awesome. First link I clicked on was here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/654892

Suggesting this opensource program:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au.../dvd_flick.cfm

Hopefully that helps. If not, there are dozens of other multisource editors. I use Handbrake for Windows on nearly every file type, but it is just a processor, not editor.

Jim

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

It's called built-in obsolesence to supposedly keep the economy moving!
    Last edited by Mike Scanlan; 04.17.11 at 11:59 AM. Reason: clarify

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    Screw youtube. Can't you just put it in .wmv and put it on the F1600 site?
    This is not a wise option if you plan to have your hard work be experienced by more than just Windoze users. Keep in mind smartphones/tablets don't often play .wmv. This market is the fastest growing consumer of such media. Youtube unfortunately dominates this market.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Thread Information