Liked: 101

Default Theft recovery...sort of

Hi Guys,

Some of you may remember that I had my trailer, Rt41 spares, and Jennings Cosworth BDSS stolen from Comprent parking lot over a year ago.

Last weekend, a gentleman showed up at Road Atlanta trying to sell my engine. I offered $1500, no questions asked, but after law enforcement enquiries, he hired the local f. Lee Bailey, and said they would take $4000 to sell me my motor.

Fast forward....the police have seized the motor, but like many custom block engines it does not have specific numbers to use. This motor is easily identifiable by 50DCOE/SP Webers, SWIFT cast cam cover, Jennings intake manifolds, etc, etc, etc.

All id have been ground off the exterior of the motor, but I have detailed pix of the motor on computer files, plus the engine builder has described in detail the unique features of the motor......not good enough.

I have to fly the engine builder in from Utah, and he has to disassemle the engine on video tape for the gentleman in question and his lawyer.......no "theft by receiving " charges pending at this time, and no leads to the rest of the $100K of missing spares.

MORAL: Insist that your engine builder engrave ID on the inside of some component that is easily identified, but not on the exterior of your engine.....please save yourself this misery.

Regards,
    Bill

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Can this guy explained to the authorities where he purchased your engine?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 8

One other tip I learned from the ricer-car-guys I knew in college was to print out your name and phone number, and tape it to the rim when you get your tires mounted (so the paper is inside the tire).

It is hard to prove someone stole your rims and tires until you request the authorities to pull a tire off and there's your name inside.

I tend to engrave my drivers license number or phone number on things in hidden places - my bikes, guns, inside battery cover on my cell phone, etc.. Helps even if lost..
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Default super

The new racing engine was purchased from an Athens, Ga salvage yard for between $100-600, depending on whose story you buy. The carbs were worth more, and it was obviously a new, complete Cosworth racing engine......the engine was stolen in Nov07, and the grind marks removing ID were fresh.

Bill

Liked: 8

Bill - I recall in Florida if you salvage or pawn anything, you have to provide your thumb print and drivers license. Not sure about GA, but worth a shot to call the salvage yard and see what records they have.

good luck.
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post
    Bill - I recall in Florida if you salvage or pawn anything, you have to provide your thumb print and drivers license. Not sure about GA, but worth a shot to call the salvage yard and see what records they have.

good luck.
    Yes this could be a fact because I know if you take any metal to a recycle yard in Ga. you have to show your divers license.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Yes this could be a fact because I know if you take any metal to a recycle yard in Ga. you have to show your divers license.
    But what if you don't SCUBA? LOL
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 87

Default Ground off #'s

I have heard that even when serial #'s are ground off guns they can still be identified through special means. Steve does # all the motors so I think that some authorities should be able to perform this task even if fees could apply... this should be much cheaper than the $1500 no questions buy back.
    I definetly would not lay down on this.. the squeeky wheel.....I would totally assume that the seller is not on the up and up and get a kick a** attorney.

Mike

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Acid Etch

Bill,

That's correct the numbers can be enhanced by an acid etch of sorts. If your dealing with a smaller PD ask if they have an equivalent of our CHP here in California. Many larger departments have a "vehicle theft task force" who can really work their magic. Also ask the seller if he is willing to take a polygraph to clear his good name. I could go on and on, but start with the basics. If you have the need to talk to a task force agent here in California for some tips send me a private message.

Eric

Liked: 33

Default Good news

Hello Bill, long time since I talked to you I hope like hell you get your equipment back and the thieves get what is coming to them! There are methologies that can recover the serial numbers even though they have been ground. Give me a call, you have my number I will research some of the technologies through my contacts for you if you need help.
    Rick

Liked: 11

All I can say is that you are a very patient person... if I was in your position I'd grab Butch, Tom, Russ and a few others and the motor would be in the back of my car. Some non-racer shows up with MY stolen race motor trying to sell it less than an hour away from where it was stolen? Freshly removed numbers?! No reciept of purchase! F-that!! He is not getting a dime and I'm getting my motor back.

Tell you what... I'd also be going to his house and looking for other parts!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the suggestions and support of the forum members. I have my motor back....didn't pay a dime. .......on the winding and devious trail of the rest of my stuff.

many thanks,
    Bill

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default More details?

Tell us how it got settled? No gun fire or broken knee's?

Liked: 309

That's really good news, Bill. Good luck with the rest of it.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the suggestions and support of the forum members. I have my motor back....didn't pay a dime. .......on the winding and devious trail of the rest of my stuff.

many thanks,
    Bill
    Hey Bill, glad to hear about the engine, but inquiring minds want to know....
    "I have my motor back....didn't pay a dime."
    What happened? This is like reading a mystery & finding out the last two pages of the book were torn out!
    Scott Woodruff

Default whodunit?

Guys,
    There was a "meeting".........last chapter not yet written concerning $100K of ralt spares......I'll finish the story as soon as it unfolds completely......who would have ever thought that crooks would double-cross each other !?

regards,
    bill

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    ...who would have ever thought that crooks would double-cross each other !?
    Happens every day, Bill. That's how prosecutors get many of their convictions.. In agreeing to testify against suspect A, suspect B received a lighter sentence...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

Glad half the stdory worked out!

But yes, in GA you cannot sell parts to a junk yard. You need the entire vehicle plus title. I would imagine his story didnt check out or the yards in trouble...

Thread Information