Liked: 5

Default Two Part Seat Foam?

Ron Z of Discovery Parts told me that his supplier went out of business and he does not know where to get two part seat foam.
    Anyone here have a good source?

TIA,
    Jim

Even better source for next time:

Wicks Aircraft has an outstanding price: 1 quart each of resin and catalyst, $26. I used this for my seat and was happy with it.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...259/index.html

Chris Eckles

Thanks, Chris.

Liked: 9

Default Urethane Foam Seat

My son helped me pour a seat for the first time a month or two ago for my FC. It looked pretty rough, but after spending about 30 hours on it filling and sanding, I got it to a decent shape to cover. All I have it covered with at this time is gaffers tape I bought at the local computer/electronics supply store.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Shaping the rough foam is the easy part (hack saw blade for big shaping and wood rasp for final shaping works great).

The hard part if finishing the raw foam. I've found that good old spackle paste works great for the inevitable big voids. Then plain old household rubber caulk (not silicone) can smooth out small creases and all the open cells (from final shaping. Spread it with a spatula and even use a wet cloth to smooth out. Drying between applications does mean it takes a few days to get it done.

I would avoid duct or gaffers tape. Get's sticky in the sun, etc. Buy a spray can of either truck bed coating or Plasti-Kote (for tool handles) and apply several thin coats, drying between each. Works great. My seat is over 20 years old and still in good shape. Occasionally need a fresh coat of the spray stuff to keep in good shape.

Liked: 9

Robert, rubber coating sounds like it might work for me. I have a can of the stuff in garage. I was thinking about covering seat in nomex fabric.

I had to make a few extra pours into bag to build up back of seat. Oh, one other suggestion that worked for us; we poured foam onto seat area and smoothed it around into corners and let if expand to build up the seat base about 1". Then we did another pour onto seat area and let it expand before I climbed into car and sat on that to give it some shape. I also mixed up small portions of foam to fill in gaps and voids. I also applied foam in areas I wanted to build up before shaping.
    Last edited by jdp526; 03.09.11 at 4:29 PM. Reason: add

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

You're lucky. My experience is that once that stuff expands, there no pushing back. I've used carefully taped in place trash compactor bags (heavier material, easier to neatly put in place, and less inclined to tear). Once it's in place, have the driver assume his/her "racing position" and to hold on to the wheel and dead pedal firmly so as to not move. Then have the second person pour in the activated goo. The driver has to stay in place and resist the expansion so it only oozes up and out around the shoulder opening in the trash bag. If padding is needed directly under the butt. that might better be a separate permanent pad. Then the formed seat is only from the butt upwards and maybe around the rib cage a bit if needed.

The less you have to cut and reshape the expanded foam the better. The nice "natural" surface (formed by the bag when it is removed) is stronger and easier to cover. Plus it's simply more form fitting to the car and your backside.

The real trick is to get the trash bag to lay smoothly with as few wrinkles as possible before pouring. Double sided tape, duct tape, whatever. If there's any art to this process it is just that, getting the bag nicely in place.

Thread Information