Liked: 232

Default "Lost Muscle Car" UPDATED 10/14

SEE UPDATES BELOW:

03/08/11 UPDATE #4 = New Paint

10/14/10 UPDATE #3 = Trunk and Quarter

07/01/10 UPDATE #2 = Authentication

06/12/10 UPDATE #1 = Body Off Chassis

This is a great car story – In 1977 I decided to remain in Fla following my finishing of grad school – I was driving a 1968 GTO Black on Black with a special engine package (factory 2bbl !!) BUT with NO air – So I found at a swap shop a 1972 GS 455 a/c car and Convertible that got about 8 mpg and gas just took it second price hike so got it for $2,300.00 - Gave the GTO to my brother in PA – I drove the Buick as a daily driver from 1977 through 1986.

However then with a FF in the garage (db-1) it was out doors and time took it toll. A client owed me $$ and a client owed him money so we (on a hand shake) made a tri part deal to restore the car - this occured in 1996 – He told me he would have to wait 6mos to start BUT he would garage the car in Miami -

One year later he called said he was ready to go and need Parts $$$ ( as agreed in the deal) - I gave him some cash - then NOTHING - number disconnected, etc – went to look for his shop and the building I found was gutted UGH ... then I heard he moved to another location but nothing.- after Hurricane Wilma I went looking again and the complex was gutted a second time.

Turns out I was in the wrong complex in Miami (it was one block over) and he was actually in the same warehouse shop BUT it was painted a different color - and he got a cell phone.

I was a rare car with only 126 GS 455 Ragtops built in ‘72. (Got letter from Buick in 1979) I could not watch Barrett Jackson or go to Muscle Car shows etc and not think of my GS.

Then OUT of the BLUE three weeks ago he drops by the original “third partner’ and asks if he knows where I am and do I want the car BACK!

I went the next day it was in bad condition - it has been sanded and not primed BUT it was all there ripped top - 2 ½ inches of body shop dust AND still in the same corner where I left it!

Flat bed’ed it home, put gas in the tank, hand filled the carb laid a battery in the rust front battery box (primed the oil pump) pumped the peddle three time and it fired and idled – the water pump was frozen so the belt slipped but it ran. Changed the pump, a set of plugs (had since 1996 AutoLite in the box) and now starts with a quick key turn.

I have been gather parts (fenders, door skins etc) - and just delivered the car to a long time friend (GT-1 Racer) who worked for a high end German/Italian car restorer and in now on his own and work has started. Buying parts at the end of the month from a resto shop near Road Atlanta (GS only Shop) so the trailer will have to share space between the db-1 and a new quarters. Will have to slow down the racing BUT I have to finish the car.

If interested I’ll keep all posted — That was me in 1977 and the Buick letter
    Last edited by Swift17; 03.10.11 at 7:03 PM. Reason: Update New Paint
    EJ

Swift db-1 (019-85) / Ducati Paso Ltd SS / 70 Triumph "Bonnie"
    Plantation (Ft.Lauderdale)/SCCA-Florida Region 37 years
    JGenerotti's friend, dad, mechanic, assoc. sponsor, etc.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default rag top

cool, would make for a rad tow car

Liked: 1417

Awesome story. I'm a big fan of that era Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Great to see you have it back and that you are going to bring it back to life.

Keep us updated on the progress!

Liked: 0

Cool story. Always nice to know the history of your muscle car!

Default "Lost" Muscle Car ... tow package

.... interesting the car was ordered with the F41 suspension "road hugging" suspension) which ment bigger springs, bars and harder bushings, required larger tires and wheels and a tow package with larger battery and larger radiator [three rows] (the original owner towed a boat - living in Fla go figure !) I have a copy of the window sticker !

EJ

Default "Lost" GS 455 (some pics)

I know, I know, I should have my head examined .....

some pics (yes I have the unobtainable hood, grill and bumpers (with rare factory N25 through the bumper exhaust) ...
    EJ

Liked: 1

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but have seen worse, I know of a man who rebilt a Cooper T34 ( I think ) from a 5/16 bolt from the original car, and even that was bent!!!
    Roger

Thanks for the laugh of the day -- the body comes off the chassis next week
    EJ

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

EJ,

Where do you keep this pig. i am a great garage rat.

The Old Fat Morgan

EJ, Keep us posted, its a bit different than what comes up here, but there are many who will be interested in how it all comes together, I quite like those old cars wouldn't own one now, but still like the looks of muscle cars of that period of time before everything went PC.

Bring back Leaded Fuel

Roger

Default Update 1 = body off

Well a friend of mine and I started taking the body off the frame last Saturday at 8:00 AM in Cocoa FL -centered the car in the back of the work space - We welded ( I held -- he welded) a temporary but "X cage" in the car (some bars bolted in to be remove during work) as convertibles with rusted floors tend to "bend" when removed. I took off the the last front fender (outer and both inners) bumper attachments, the HVAC system from the firewall etc.. (Saw a rocket launch from the Cape at lunch - always GREAT). Then started to disconnect all the other ancillary systems, fuel, brake master e-brake - fuel tank (darn the 'tank build sheet was too deteriorated to save let alone read) took off the top frame, etc. Next unbolted all the frame to chassis pads and (later) discovered that Buicks actually have slightly different mounting pads (durameter and height) than Chevelles, GTOs 442s. Engine hoisted the body off like a teeter totter and then built a final cradle with cinder blocks and 4x4s for the body guy - rolled the chassis w/ motor out. loaded the chassis in the trailer - swept up and all done by 3:30 PM -- chassis is now 150 mile closer to home and today and tomorrow start "stripping" the chassis -----

Parts update: found OUTSTANDING doors in Arizona and fender in all places Fort Lauderdale !!! - purchased a floor in Illinois and a new trunk lid in Cocoa -- quarters from Georgia - now start looking for original hardware and ancillary systems -- located an ORIGINAL 8 track player - trying to located and install all the original sound equipment per the window sticker ( i have a copy) - will look for the last "build sheet" when I strip the dash. The others came under the seat and on top of gas tank -- both effectively gone. Builds sheets tell you what the car came with [455 F-41 suspension, HD radiator, etc] when built at the factory - GM Ford Chrysler used these sheets during construction and left them with the car -- Ferrari, by example have a build 'Book' and one (it is rumored) has been kept for every car it has built.

Next update chassis stripped, painted (color match) -- researching paint textures and materials - Note: YES the unobtainable air cleaner was on during the process - only removed for pics
    Last edited by Swift17; 06.13.10 at 6:23 AM. Reason: Parts Update
    EJ

Just from the photos the chassis does not look to bad, are you going to media blast it? and there are some great paints now for chassis that will make it last another 100 years, or until the oil runs out!
    Roger

Default Chassis painting ....

... it is about 6:15 am here Sunday and I am just leaving now to strip the chassis -- (TiVo 'ing the GP to watch to-nite)* The chassis, all suspension components (front & rear) the live axle are going to be media blasted and then ... painted or powered coated - I am leaning to paint because that would be more correct probably a PPG product (satin black) but powercoating has its benefits - the shocks are gray, backing plates are part cadmium, the uprights ..... etc (you get the picture) My goal is return the car to how it was in '72 when Buick was putting out about 55-65 cars per HOUR from four (4) factories and NOT create a trailer queen ! as to oil, with the 455 it get about 8 mpg -- yikes !

*Spent all day yesterday "stripping" five (5) sets of three (3) piece wheels [18 nuts bolts and washers per wheel] and getting ready to soda blast 'em and re-paint them ....

Too old -- too many projects ... but still plugg'in along
    Last edited by Swift17; 06.13.10 at 6:25 AM.
    EJ

Default UPDATE #2 "COMPLETE" Accurate Authentication

As I knew (and obviously) with any restoration, the car and its options must be confirmed to establish the true id of the car - the system used differs by manufacture and in GM's case make to make -- code to code (Buick v. Chevy etc.).

From my VIN number / body tag (and as a '72 , lucky) the vehicle is at least authenticated as a true " ... Buick - '72 - A body - convertible -GS - 7.5L/455 motor..." But the rest of the car can only be confirmed (or so I thought) from the broadcast/build sheet used at the factory during construction - GM "A" bodies (Skylark/GS, Chevelle/SS, Tempest/GTO and Cutlass/442) had at least two "build sheets" which after the car was done in certain stages were left with the car. It is the "DNA - birth certificate" that ID's all options and equipment [A/C - F41 Suspension - HD cooling etc] 'Vette owners really NEED/WANT this for a Bloomington Gold Certificate indicating 100% correct (.. and then BIG bucks on resale!)

For "A" Bodies, one was left over the fuel tank [hence the well used phrase "tank sticker"] when the motor and trans and then the body was attached to the chassis and the fuel tank installed, a second was left under the rear seat after all the interior was installed; and SOMETIMES a third existed inside the A piller the when the "Body by Fisher" was completed. My tank and under rearseat were so deteriorated they were useless. I cannot get my hand up and inside the A piller (maybe a child could help) UGH -- I do have a "very poor" 38 year old photocopy of the window sticker and that is pretty good indication BUT I wanted more.

By chance I called Buick (yep .. they answered the phone) and they said some production records were held by the Sloan Museum in Flint -- So called and spoke to a great research assistant "Sara" who stated that for $50.00 I could get the VIN researched and if any info about the car is on file, it would be sent w/ an authentication letter ! So off goes the $$ and sure enough today arrived the FULL history of the car -- Ordered in Jacksonville, id'ed the dealer -- all options -- date ordered received (9/24/71), etc. EUREKA -- Dealer paid $4.6K on a window sticker of $5.9K --

So the project continues ......

EJ
    Last edited by Swift17; 07.02.10 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Correct spelling ugh!

Its great that Buick offer that service, and that you can verify its "DNA", Buick has made many great inovations in automotive history, but I don't know if they are still a brand now? its not one that was ever sold over here after WW2, but there are many 60's 70's cars brought in by guys like yourself, it also must be remenbered that they gave us the alloy S/B V8, a true classic engine.

Roger

Default Removal of Trunk and Quarters

This is a Body Update -- the entire truck and stringers have been removed and as have the quarters -- the pics below will show the truck with NO floor and the quarters remove -- and then the new floor in the truck and a pic of one new quarter both are on -- actually all the floor of the entire car has now been removed -- the doors and fenders are done -- (pics to follow soon) now working on the passenger compartment floors and the cowl -- see the pics -

Ok .... well actually I have also spent the last two months working on finishing the chassis and motor etc. ---- mechanical update and pics next
    Last edited by Swift17; 10.16.10 at 8:19 AM. Reason: Add pic
    EJ

Default Mechanical Update

Installing the cleaned & painted rearend, and suspension today ...........
    EJ

Default Update 10-19-2010 -mechanical & body

Chassis - motor - suspension - trans are all -cleaned and painted -- Motor and Trans are in - all front suspension on -- all brakes and NEW stainless steel lines (gas and brake) installed and connected next will be pics
    EJ

Default Bad on the updates -- 3/7/11

..... there are about four (4) updates missing (and I will get them posted ) BUT - the engine, trans, suspension are done etc. in/on the frame, the body is back on - located all new body (Buick specific VERY difficult find) chassis mounts - new power window motors and buffed and cleaned side glass and .... TA DA !!! --- new PAINT !! (see posts 6 - 11- 16)
    EJ

Liked: 1417

Stellar! I'm glad you went with the original paint color. It looks fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

Default Bad on updates -- paint

As best as can be investigated, there were only two GS 455 Convertibles in Burnished Copper (Post #19 does NOT do the color justice) and one GS 455 Stage 1 Convertible- the most popular colors on the GS 455 convertibles were [FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]Flame Orange, Stratomist Blue and Cortez Gold, all metalics. [/FONT][/FONT]
    Last edited by Swift17; 03.07.11 at 6:08 PM. Reason: ID Post #19
    EJ

Its looking good
    Roger

Thread Information