Liked: 3

Default Alternatives to SafeRacer??? Never doing business with them again

I've picked up a bunch of stuff from these guys recently (i.e. 2 helmets, shoes, sets of underwear, visors, helmet hardware, and more). My most recent purchase was a helmet for my old man. I picked up 2 sizes to get the right fit. When I went to return the other, I was informed of being 3 days past the std return policy, so I'll be stuck with a $70 restock fee, and they won't budge.

I've been in sales my whole life, and I understand why restocking fees exist. I also understand customer service, and the guy on the phone pissed me off to no end today. I guess he's just doing his job. Now I'm doing my job in letting others know about my experience...

I know there are plenty of sponsors on Apex, and the people on here have been great, so I'd love to patronize those who support this place. I need to pick up new belts this winter, along with a set of shoes, and some more underwear.

Suggestions???

-Patrick

Liked: 0

I always go to OGRacing, not a sponsor here, but for my region. They thrive on their customer service. Shipping is free if you spend over 99 bucks, and they ship same day if you order before 2pm. I've had the best experience with them, while SR has screwed me over a bunch.

Steven
    SCCA WDCR
    Crew # 92 1986 Reynard SF2000
    Driver:# 92 1989 ITA Honda Civic Si

Liked: 6

Yep, I kind of had a similar problem with them, will never give them business again. I now use Apex Performance, they advert here on Apexspeed, and they offer 10% discounts for Apexspeed users.
    I have also used OG, good people too.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

This thread makes me really happy that SCCA has decided it's mandatory that I advertise this company on my racecar.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

On edit---my original post seemed to be a personal attack, rather than just something for others to consider before doing business with an Internet based company.

How about a brick and mortar place?

Being a business owner, consumer, and past safety equipment retailer (read: really small margins) I find it unethical to go to a storefront, try on a bunch of stuff and then place your order with an internet company to save a few bucks. I also find it unethical to order stuff knowing full well that you won't be buying both products just for the convenience, all while expecting to not pay anything for the return. You took their salesman/CSR guys' time twice. You will take their shipping and receiving guys' time twice. They paid a credit card fee on the first transaction for an amount you didn't intend on spending, and now they will pay a fee again for the credit. Yet you don't want to pay a restocking fee for their time and expenses?

If you insist on using an internet company for such transactions...why not be upfront with them and say "look, helmets are really something you should try on before purchasing. I'd like to give you my business but I would like to try 2 helmets with every intention of returning one. Is that okay with you?" If not, would you be willing to bill me for shipping x2 and include a prepaid UPS return label so that I may return the helmet that doesn't fit immediately? Let them make the call.

Liked: 50

Gotta agree with Quickshoe to some degree. We always take returns on helmets, etc with no restocking fees, but it can be painfull with some customers. Some shipping time, costs, and CC fees eat up your profit pretty quick. Don't know the full story on this particular case or how you were treated so I am not in it.

The only thing that bothers me about SafeRacer (besides the SCCA deal) is how they advertise "Regular Price" at a price that is 20% higher than the MSRP and then display it at their "Racer Price" of regular MSRP.

BTW, We sell SCCA stckers WITHOUT any advertising on it, and they are cheaper than SCCA. I bought quantities before they sold the name.

Jim
    SR
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Since I managed to run over my own helmet (don't ask how I managed that), I am in the market for a new one.

Does ApexPerformance have a coupon code or something for AS users? I don't see their ads in rotation on here, because if I did, I would give Mr. Carter a clickthrough.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

wine country motorsports. they are local to me so i shop in the store but wow are they awesome.

Liked: 128

I second Wine Country Motorsports. I never never did any business with the CA store, just the one in FL. I bought everything from Brad, and he hooked me up with some great deals. I had some issues with the fit on my gloves and nomex underwear, and he shipped me new stuff at no cost to me. They will get all my future business!

Brad at WCM

Brian Copperthite #31 FF

Liked: 611

Default Doing business

I agree with Quickshoe, particularly when it comes to helmets. That's why I've never pursued internet sales of a helmet.
    I know there have been some in the past, that stopped at our shop to try on helmets, that for any number of reasons, did not return to make a purchase, it's been that way for ever. But for something as personal and important as that, I always bought them (when I raced) at a brick and mortar location.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 3

Default I was very up front, and this was their idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    On edit---my original post seemed to be a personal attack, rather than just something for others to consider before doing business with an Internet based company.

If you insist on using an internet company for such transactions...why not be upfront with them and say "look, helmets are really something you should try on before purchasing. I'd like to give you my business but I would like to try 2 helmets with every intention of returning one. Is that okay with you?" If not, would you be willing to bill me for shipping x2 and include a prepaid UPS return label so that I may return the helmet that doesn't fit immediately? Let them make the call.

If I could buy this stuff locally, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I compete with internet sales in my professional job, and can appreciate having an expert to consult with, and being able to hold a product in your hands before buying. I buy my running shoes from a local running shop, they fit me, make sure the shoe fits my running style, and I have NO problem paying the extra 15-20%.

This was their idea, and I did the same process when buying shoes. I tried to get some advice from their sales guys about how the shoes fit, and they had nothing to offer. I had to go through 3 cycles of ordering before getting ones that fit, and they're still not right. I fully understand that this eats into margin, but I can promise you that I hate packing this stuff up, leaving work and going to the post office to return equipment at $15 a shot as much as they hate taking it back. I'm not trying to abuse a process. They suggested it themselves.

They've got a clear 30 day return policy. I was at 33 days (if you go from the time I received it the product on my door, it was 30 days). If they don't want to bend at all on the restock fee, that's fine. I'll just take my business elsewhere. Hopefully somewhere where people know a little more about the product.

-Patrick

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Since I managed to run over my own helmet (don't ask how I managed that), I am in the market for a new one.

Does ApexPerformance have a coupon code or something for AS users? I don't see their ads in rotation on here, because if I did, I would give Mr. Carter a clickthrough.
    Their website is http://www.apexperformance.net/

Doug has a "sticky" thread about them at the top of the "Safety and Racing Gear" forum. It says, "We offer ApexSpeed subscribers a 10% discount on most all items over $75. We also have free shipping on almost everything over $75. Just enter ApexSpeed as a promocode on checkout or call us toll free 866 505-2739 or direct at 843 299-0997 and mention ApexSpeed."
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 1417

For the record, Apex Performance sponsors the Safety Gear forum (which I moved this thread to), and does have a banner rotating at the top of the forums. Great people to work with.

Here's the thing with brick-and-mortar racing gear stores—if you have one to utilize, great. Most people don't. They are few and far between, because there are so many online stores that sell product much cheaper. And most people today aren't looking to spend more than they know something is worth to them.

I bought my first Arai at Northstart Motorsports, which was about an hour from here. We took a drive up there a week before my daughter was born in a snowstorm (my wife won't let me forget it), and they were very helpful to me in trying on different brands, models and sizes. I bought my helmet from them that day, even though I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere if I tried. They spent the time to help me and to me, that was invaluable.

But, if you don't have access to a real store that specializes in safety gear like that, you're left to the internet and mail-order catalogs. Real stores have over-head and generally higher prices on product like that with little room to be competitive. When you are talking about a $1000 helmet or a $1300 price tag, it's a BIG difference. Worth the extra $300 or not? That's for you to decide.

Check the ApexSpeed banner links when they roll through, or look through the banners on the Advertiser List if you have a chance. It's always a good place to start when trying to support the site.

Banned

Patrick,

No personal experience with any of these shops. They appear to have a brick and mortar location that sells at least 2 helmet lines. Found through the Bellmotorsports dealer locator.

JR Motorsports in Duluth (seem to market to the local dirt track crowd)
    Apex Performance Tech in Oakdale
    Stockholm Karting has a pro shop that sells Bell. Make certain the helmet you are buying is SA rated.

Might consider going to a local circle track race on a big night, or drag races...these types of events usually have a trackside vendor selling safety equipment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Real stores have over-head and generally higher prices on product like that with little room to be competitive. When you are talking about a $1000 helmet or a $1300 price tag, it's a BIG difference. Worth the extra $300 or not? That's for you to decide.
    Agreed. We ALL have to decide where to draw the line. I do buy tires from tirerack from time to time. But I don't expect to return any. I don't expect to have the CSR help me decide which tire to buy, and I don't need to try them on.

As far as the retail prices on helmets---about 15 years ago, company X's margins were in the 18-25% range depending on the model. They were launching their own stores where they would sell at "racer net" prices to Joe Racer, they also put all their dealers, regardless of volume, on the same pricing level. It's no coincidence that a huge internet retailer quit selling company X's helmets that same year. When every dealer is paying $800 for a helmet that the manufacturer will sell to anybody for $995 all day long---nobody gets $1300 for that helmet, but I understand your point.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Continental Motorsports

I have had good luck with them on my safety gear, he can get the helmets to you to try, he works with them helmet vendors to get the bare shell so your painter can paint them and then send it back to be assembled. He carries the major lines of helmets, gloves, suits and is an authorized HANS dealer too. He also advertises on Apexspeed. And great customer service. 513-459-8888 ask for Jim or Jennie.

Liked: 6

Default theres also pegasus

try pegasus,
    they have an enormous inventory and helpful staff too. phone, online, or in-store sales, your choice.

Liked: 14

Default Driving Impressions!

Do not forget Driving Impressions by Bob Zecca, located in Dover New Jersey. He has had a second shop at Limerock for years, and now has a second shop at New Jersey Motorsports Park. Bob truly owns his merchandise and apparel. He travels extensively to the manufacturers factories to inspect the product. if he doesn't like what there is available, he commissions factories to make Driving Impressions brand. His gloves are by far better than OMP. We have bought all of our racing equipment for me, my wife and daughter from Mr Zecca for over 20 years, and have been treated like family every time we go to his shop. He persomally helps you try on apparel and equipment to make sure all fits correctly. He also has a great web site, with different sales. Not to mention he also supports an enduro series here in the northeast, and comes to many events with available merchandise. Check out his web site tonight! His prices are very competitive, and quality is second to none!

teamdi.com 1-800-275-4667

Sam Ryan
    FM 70

Liked: 96

The last time I was at Lime Rock the Driving Impressions store was closed and LRP staff were remodeling it.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    The last time I was at Lime Rock the Driving Impressions store was closed and LRP staff were remodeling it.
    Yes, he's gone from there. He now runs a store onsite at NJMP where CDOC used to be.

Thread Information