Liked: 0

I am looking at buying my first FC car. I have raced 125 Shifters, Run Corvette's and Vipers in Solo II, and most recently raced motorcycles. My most recent bike crash has left me with a severly broken left arm. So I am ready for a new race toy that I can't fall off of at 120MPH.

It looks like I am going to be limited by my budget to a CFC car, maybe 88 or 89. And want to make sure I get a good car, I would like to know if the Swift SE-3, Van Diemens, Or Reynard, are the way to go.

And what about the motorcycle engine conversions I have seen? Do they still compete in CFC or are they going elsewere for classificatio?

So any advice as to what to look for, how to make sure I can race it Regionaly, and still run some Solo II. As well as making sure I don't buy a pile of S$%^&T!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

On any of these cars, it's real important to get the thing up in the air and look at the condition of the pan. A beat up pan with lots of sheared rivits will mean you'll soon be doing a frame-up rebuild.

Other than that, there's an article on "how to buy a used formula car" elsewhere on this site. I also have an extensive checklist for inspecting a car prior to purchase I can E-mail you.

Of all the early cars, the 90 swift SE-3 is probably the sleeper. Rocker suspension but pretty slippery, easy engine maintenance, and a LD-200 gearbox - none of the reynard gearbox/bell housing problems. I think there's only 3 or 4 in the country though.

Not many early cars for sale on the west coast currently - but several 94-97 Van Diemans

Liked: 11

Hello.

FWIW- Justin's (Jattus) 94vd is a very nice car at a great price. Its close in $$ to what some are asking for the older Reynards.

Good luck!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thanks Sean. It's amazing the endorsements that 20 bucks will getcha.

Good news for me bad news for A J.. I sold it & the new owner is coming to claim his prize on Sunday.

Good news for SARRC is it is moving to Raleigh NC and he will run it in the SARRC.

Bad news for SARRC is I buying my fathers sweet A** 96..

This may be the only way to keep up with C-Nut

Liked: 11

Congrats!!
    You are right- it is the sweetest 96 I've seen!
    Between you, Court, Cecil, and myself we have a great group of fast 96s.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Don't forget Pops.. He is going to buy the sister car.. We just need to show him where to plant the right foot

5 regional regulars driving 96s is impressive

Liked: 605

FC? call my buddy Bill Herscher at Formula Cars Inc. 352-383-5217. He has two very good Reynards for sale ('84) in the realm of $7,000 and a '89 Swift SE-3 for $10K or try terry@iag.net The Swift had a second place [CFC class - of 4 cars]at Daytona this past weekend for one race and was leading in the other but ran out of gas [not my fault!] The Swift won CFC regional points last year.

Hard Rock Motorsport also has a car on the market. You should keep your eye on this website under "FC: For Sale or Rent", third link from the bottom of the forum's page.

Most participants on this site can tell you about almost any car you will find for sale. Although they may be somewhat biased (like me ), you will get some good information!

Good luck w/your search!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Eyerace, is this Richard Matthew's car?

Justin,

I don't think so. Ths car has been running in the CFR for awhile. I think Richard still has his.
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

The Swift won CFC regional points last year
    Sorry, I thought he meant Overall regional points

Contributing Member

Front Range in Denver has an excellent 89 Swift for sale, winning in points for Club Continental this year You can ttalk to Dave or J.D. at (303) 781-4059, good honest people!

Liked: 1

Junkie,
    I've posted a 95 Van Diemen roller just today. The price is right. Don't wait too long.
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

1. not matthews 2. the Swift won the Cent. Fla. Region regional CFC points for 2002......ahem, cough-cough, eye was the driver.

while sitting around with Bill from Formula Cars inc. - lots of bench racing and beer drinking - he said he was concerned that he'd priced the Swift and both Reynards too low such that people were perhaps scared off by the low price and thinking "uh-oh, what's wrong with 'em?"....if the truth be told, the cars are fine...it's that he bought two Formula SCCA cars for the business and simply would care to sell the Reynards and the Swift

Thread Information