Liked: 0

Originally I wanted to get a Bell Dominator or Vortex helmet as I have been happy with my Bell MAG4 (open face) helmet that I have been using for AutoX.

However, I looked at a Bieffe F1GPV helmet yesterday and was very impressed by the quality and finish of this helmet. I assume I want a vented helmet, if not there is the F1GP.

I looked at the Simpson Speedway Shark a while back at SimpsonWorld in Torrance, CA, and was disappointed in the detail finish of the shell, especially around vent holes. I am going to go back there next week to look at suits, so I will take another look at the helmets too.

Anyhow, any like/dislike opinions or other brands to consider suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kristoffer

Bieffe
    http://www.bieffeamerica.com

Bieffe F1GPV $499

info

Bieffe F1GP $484

info

Bieffe Predator $354

info

Bell
    http://www.bellracing.com

Bell Dominator $875

(Can not link to info because of Macromedia Flash)

Bell Vortex $750

(Can not link to info because of Macromedia Flash)

Simpson
    http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com

Simpson VUDO $750

info

Simpson Speedway Shark $650

info

[size="1"][ November 23, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: kgjevre ][/size]
    Kristoffer Gjevre

Liked: 447

Try them all on and get the one that fits you best. Lighter is also better, but along with that comes more of an expense. Don't skimp on a brain bucket. I have a Bell M3, but it tends to move my head around at high speeds. The ones with the duck bill may be better at keeping your head still on long straights. Anyone care to confirm?

[size="1"][ November 23, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Keith Carter ][/size]
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1417

I love my Vortex, but if I had the chance to buy again, I'd get a Dominator or Fueling with more downforce.

They all have different shaped head molds, to pick the brand that best matches your head. For instance, Simpson fit my head very poorly, but Bell and Arai are perfect fits.

Try them all on!

I've been very happy with my Vortex. I have a very small head, so I had to experiment quite a bit to find a helmet that fit me well. The Vortex is very well made and fits me like a glove. Try on everything you can get your hands on and make sure it fits properly and that you will be comfortable in it. You will have enought to do during a race without the added distraction of an ill fitting helmet.
    Scott Pinkney<br />NER #53

Liked: 709

I don't care for my Bieffe F1GP for 2 reasons:
    -lack of vents makes it fog up on a clear day.
    -the "quick-release" tab sewn on the d-ring is on the wrong loop so it's useless. If it's cinched tight, it takes me a long time to get it undone-very annoying.
    My next helmet will be a Bell Dominator.

Keith, to reduce the buffeting on my old Bell M-2 (similar to your M-3), my crew chief put a couple angled rows of tape on the top as I was sitting on the false grid. It completed eliminated the lift and buffeting and stayed on my helmet for the next 6 or 7 years.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 1

You should add Arai to your list to try. They're highly regarded in the motorcycle roadracing world, and those guys get to 'test' their helmets regularly. I used to wipe out a helmet at least once a year, and one particular year I went through 3!! You haven't found what you're made of until you've highsided over the handlebars headfirst onto the pavement at 105 MPH and then tumble. No doubt that's an incentive to buy the best! Like was posted above, different brands fit different generic head shapes, Arai happens to work for me. Quality made in Japan.

Here is another tip I remembered when I was out shopping today. When faced with the choice of sizes, ALWAYS err on the slightly larger side, i.e. take the 7 1/4 over the 7 1/8 if there is any question.

Here is why; 1) in the summer heat where most of your events will take place, your head will naturally swell slightly when your body temperature rises, and a smallish fitting lid will be very tight on your head causing a lot of discomfort in the car, and 2) your belaclava or headsock, which is required, will take up a bit of space, as well. Yes, the liner will "break in" a bit with use, but it won't get too much slacker than your head's size.

In retrospect, again, I would have gone up a size in the helmet that I have currently. Live and learn...

doug

I love my Bieffe GPF1. It's light and suffers from 0 buffetting. I have to dissagree with Doug on two issue's first a hood sock is only required if you have facial hair. Second your helmet should fit very snuggly. I always wear a hoodsock so I bring it to try on helmets. The last thing you want is to have a helmet that is to large and moves on your head.

I have to second the Arai suggestion they are great helmets but are quite expensive. If you are looking in the $1k range the best helmet available is the Stand21 helmet. I've owned two and not only are they light they are incredibly well made. But like the Arai very expensive.

I would never ever wear a Simpson helmet and here is why. I went shopping for a helmet with a friend of mine and he decided he had to have a Simpson. So we went to the Simpson shop in LA and he found the helmet he wanted to purchase. As it was sitting on the counter the salesman bumped it and it fell on the carpet and cracked. I scares me to death what could have happened if that had been my buddies head on a roll bar.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Actually, Michael is right, they are only mandatory with facial hair, but we have always had "goats" so I didn't even think of not wearing one. I still wouldn't race without one, facial hair or not.

As far as the sizing goes, if one eighth of an inch in helmet size larger causes your helmet to wobble, the helmet design itself is probably not the correctly fitting one for you. That small of an increment up from "tight" should not affect the performance of the helmet. And trust me, your head DOES swell in the heat.

It's like buying shoes, you don't test them standing up in the store when all of your weight is on your feet, because they are supposed to fit you as you are seated in the car with no pressure on the feet, and they should fit tightly. But I digress...

A tight fitting helmet when you are in the store will be a REALLY tight fitting helmet when you are pumping full heat, full throttle in the race car in the middle of August. I'd still always err to the larger size in a choice of two consecutive sizes. I have made the mistake once already. 1/8th inch size increments are small enough that the single increase should not still allow the helmet to move or swivel.

-d

Doug your right 1/8" won't make much of a difference. My personal prefference is to go a little tight when new. I just didn't want to give the impression that a helmet should fit to loosely. I wear a balaclava goat or no goat 100 degree's or 50 degree's. I tend to think ole Freddies pretty scary looking. The sad thing about my goatee now is that it's 90% white

One more comment on Bieffe. In Europe these helmets are about 50% more expensive than they are here. Bieffe has tried very hard to break into the U.S. market. Part of that was to sell the helmets at much lower price than the more established brands like Bell and Simpson. OMP (which is manufactured by AGV) has the same marketing plan. I have had some fogging problems with my GPF1 but I understand the new vented version (seen at top of page) is a muched improved design. For the money this helmet is one of the best buys out there.

[size="1"][ November 24, 2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: BrooksHall ][/size]
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 190

When looking at a helmet purchase, whatever brand and model, go to a place that you can try them on. It amazes me with the difference of fit within a manufacture (let alone different manufactures). For example: a Bell 7 3/8 M2 will fit differently than a Bell 7 3/8 Dominator. The best bet is to try them on for fit, you will always be much happier. BTW: We stock over 100 Bell and Simpson helmets including custom painting by Mike at Razors Image.

----------------
    Bill Bonow
    DRE/RaceCarSupply.com
    (630) 213-1010

[size="1"][ November 24, 2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Bill Bonow ][/size]
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Mike rocks. He did Keith's and my helmets and he's only about 5 minutes away from me.

Liked: 447

I thought balaclava's were mandatory.... Facial hair or not, you'd have to be an &lt;insert bad name here&gt; if you didn't wear one. Unless you think Freddy Krueger is one handsome dude.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 68

K-Man, all of the above advice is good. One thing not mentioned. If you wear glasses to drive, take them, as well as your balaclava (or as my old teammate used to say "baclava") when you go to try on brain-boxes. I have owned quite a few Simpson helmets, but now refuse to do business with them. I have a Bieffe F1GP, which I love. Alex at Axcel Fastgraphics in Arcadia hooked me up with a package deal for helmet and paint. They are also dealers for No Fear and Alpinestars. Even if you are bald (if so, that's a nice wig in the photo) and clean-shaven, you'd be nuts not to wear a balaclava. Take your time and get the right thing. Good luck.

EG

Liked: 13

Nick Lundgreen at http://www.lundgreenmotorsports.com did a great job for me painting my "Skid Lid"(first used by Fabian in Fireball 500(I think)). Highly recommend him.

Quick comment on the Bell Dominator... I've got one and overall I like it. It's definitely a lot lighter than my old M3. It's definitely a lot tighter as well... maybe that explains the blurred vision near the end of a race...

anyway, the one thing to keep in mind with the Dominator is that the Shell is HUGE... I actually had to add padding to my back to move my head and shoulder forward to make room for the back of the helmet to fit in the car.

I would also check with the manufacturer on fit. Bell recommends a pretty tight fit to comply with the latest regulations. You definitely don't want to be able to roll the helmet forward off your head when the chin strap is on. . .

Good point on the eyeglasses as well... I don't think glasses would work with a Dominator. At least without some modifications to the padding...

tdr
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I'll second Axcell Fast graphics they do awsome work and are very reasonable with their pricing. They will definately do my next helmet.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 3319

I am trying to sell this helmet:
    BELL VORTEX, SA2000, ORIGINAL WHITE, SIZE 7 ½; Used only two times, excellent condition.
    Reason for selling: It just doesn’t fit me very well.

Helmet w/ #1102 clear shield, normal cost ~$600.
    Plus:
    New, unused shields for above:
    1 #1102 clear, normal cost ~$42 each.
    1 #1103 smoke, normal cost ~$45 each.
    Good Used shields for above:
    1 #1103 smoke, normal cost ~$45 each.

All for $500.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Just picked up some helmets today at Bell in Rantoul, IL. Got some advanced copies of their 2003 product catalog. They will be introducing two new helmets at the PRI show in Indy on Dec.5, 6, 7.

The new models are the T5, a step up from the Dominator for ultra high speed open cars, and the K-1, a Dominator look-a-like for a whole lot less money.

Anyone going to PRI can check them out at the Bell Racing booth...see you there.

---------------
    Bill Bonow
    DRE/RaceCarSupply.com
    (630)213-1010
    Bill Bonow

Contributing Member

In the "for what it's worth" category, I had a serious crash at Road America 5 years ago when I backed a Lola540 into a tire wall at considerable speed. I was wearing a Bell Sport II and hit the roll bar hard enough to cause a short term memory loss (not to mention the car loss). I sent the helmet to Bell and they tore it apart and sent it back with a clean bill of health. Next helmet I buy is another Bell.

Bill,
    Do you know if the K-1 "Dominator look-a-like" will be a lightweight helmet?
    Kristoffer Gjevre

Kristoffer,

Can't say as I have not held one yet. I can tell you that it is a fiberglass helmet and is most likely similar in weight to an M2. I have this feeling that if you want the lightweight of a Dominator, then you will need to buy that model.

Bill
    Bill Bonow

I have a Bell Dominator and love it for its fit and well defined and tested protection. (Before that, an Arai which was nice too). Don't be fooled by the new Bell "look a like" they actually already have one of these available called the Kart Pro (A lot less protection but looks almost identical). This new helmet coming out (the look a like) is designed to be a middle of the road helmet for "overall value." I did not consider overall value when determining what I wanted my head to look like after a serious crash. IMHO it is the best insurance money can buy.
    Norman LeClair

Godspeed,

The Kart Pro is just that, a karting helmet with a K98 rating. It is not for road racing. The K-1 looks to be off the same pattern/mold as the Kart Pro but carries a Snell SA 00 rating, the same as a Dominator.

As I stated before, if you wish to get a Dominator for the features it has (less weight and better aerodynamics), spend the money and buy what you want. But if you think that you are safer with one over the other, then you need to find out from Snell why they rate them both SA 00.

----------------
    Bill Bonow
    DRE/RaceCarSupply.com
    (630 213-1010
    Bill Bonow

I'll give the nod to the Bieffe F1 ventilated. Very comfortable and well made.
    Any time you solve one problem you invariably create another. Hopefully this one is easier to live with.

Liked: 605

I ly got it rightike to buy helmets at the Circle Track show in Daytona held a couple of days prior to the Daytona 500. There are many vendors there and I can try on the helmets. Some Pontiac dealer from Indy was there with a wall of helmets and they were a huge help.....they custom fitted me and when they couldn't get it small enough they customed shaped inserts as a special factory order [no extra charge]....i'd have never thought to consider that....love the helmet, simpson shark. i had to wait about ten days for shipping but it was darn well worth it.I'm familiar with people that bought them off the internet and then exchanged them three times before they got it right. We drive open cockpit cars.....buy only carbon kevlar not fiberglass - ten times stronger. Think if you don't need a nose strip to help you breathe through your nose when you're wearing the helmet, it's not fit tight enough.

Liked: 605

well damn them typos......read - I only like to buy helmets......

Liked: 282

I have a Bell Vortex and I couldn't be Happier with it, but always try on helmets before you buy because different manufactures have very different shapes for their helmet molds.

Fred

Liked: 2

Trying before buying is a must. A couple of years ago, I was one of those guys that had to return a mail order helmet twice to get the right fit even though I had tried on the exact same model at the store. I've had good luck with Shoei for fit and quality.
    Raj

Thread Information