Liked: 0

O.k., i'm brand spankin new to this... Just bought a car '96 VD and want to get some fuel for it.
    Searched the archives and found lots of complaints on the fuel Tee that needs to be added,
    but nothing referring to what flavor of VP1 to run. There are 30 different kinds..
    which is correct? (I am assuming I can run VP1 race fuel..)

I use 76 110 that I buy at the track.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

We normally use B32 Phillips, which as I look at the VP chart is like VP C12. Based upon the Octane consistancy, I would choose VP C12 from VP. You can find their spec sheets at VP Racing Fuel Spec Sheets and the Phillips specs are at Phillips Racing Fuel Sheets . I would personally just run the 110 leaded at the track...easiest to get and keeps you from some of the "fuel testing" issues.

Good Luck
    Dave Harris
    dave.harris@daveharrismotorsports.com
    http://www.daveharrismotorsports.com

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

My engine builder suggested I use 100LL avgas. Says the extra octane in the 110 I was running is actually costing me a couple of HP. Haven't done it yet, but seems like a lot of the small airfields have gone to unattended pumps, you just need to enter a N number (used to notify you if you got a bad load of gas) . I was told to just buy the fuel late in the evening (fewer people fewer questions when you're putting it in jugs and not a plane) and just use one of the N numbers from one of the planes on the ramp - or make one up. There is one obvious bonus - it's only $2.50/gal.

The coolest test port I've seen yet is found here:

www.jerrybickel.com/

on page 26 of the second half of their catalog. They also have some neat quick disconnects for guages.

I've never had anyone ask me about pumping fuel into a can at my local FBO. Self-serve no problems, $2.03/gal.

I like this fuel sample port.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafue...homepage1.html

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

I have been using 100LL avgas, from the local general aviation airport since 1979 and have not had the first problem with it. Tjhe cost is $2.35 to $2.50 a gallon.
    It is always the SAMe. At the track you don't know how long it has been in the ground or how much water might have gotten into it.
    Remember Avgas is made for airplanes and the quality control standards are much tougher if it is bad an airplane just might fall out of the sky.

Liked: 3787

I will someday smarten up and move to Av Gas.

For now I'm using VP 110 (actually 107 octane).

Why? Well because it's purple... and my sponsor sells it. But mostly because it's purple. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was going to try VP this last weekend and went to the local speed shop to buy some. They wanted $12.95 a gal for the stuff!!! 76 is only $5.00 at the track!
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

http://www.waterfordhills.com/results/fuel.htm

Here's a link to a pretty good series of articles about fuel. I found them to be pretty informative. I've personally heard a few horror stories about Av gas in the 2-strokers I play with. Maybe the 4-stroke is more forgiving.

Bob Gebhardt
    Still dreaming of wings....

Hey Dan,

CAM2 (110 octane) is in the fuel cell and is what I ran just about everywhere.
    Brian
    Ex '96 Van Diemen Owner

WoW! You guys are awesome! 9 replies in less than 24 hours!

I have a VP-1 Dealer for my area about 10 miles from my house... Looks like it's either C12 or VP-110 for me.

Thanks Frog, you helped me decide. Purple it is! (For the fuel, anyway).

I have bought fuel by the 55 Gallon drum when I ran then drag car.. cost was cheaper than the track prices.

Brian, I like the colors, going to keep them as they are on the car!

Contributing Member

110LL is all you need, especially if you're brand spankin' new. Save yourself some $$ and just tell your competitors it's rocket fuel when you beat 'em.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Liked: 1

Both of my engine builders dyno on 100LL. That's good enough for me. Quality control is there, it passes the fuel test, and best of all my local Chevron distributor provides free delivery to the shop. They sell lots of the stuff to non-aviation customers.

Thread Information