Thread: getting started

Liked: 0

I am one of those guys that is trying to sort through tons of great info and make as intelligent a decision as I possibly can. My first decision is that I'm still confused and need a little extra direction. So any advice or direction you can give would be greatly appreciated. My situation is that I am looking for a car that is going to competitive, at least at the regional level and not get left in the dust at a national race. I have a couple years in a formula vee and have spent the last couple years doing driver's eds with the PCA clubs. I would like to come back to formula cars, race on a more consistant basis, and certainly do it on a budget. I have read the boards from the FF site and this site, and have seen there are varying opinions on where to start and even more controversy regarding the type of engines and even a new formula. There are a couple of 90-95 FCs that are on the site and within my price range that I would consider. However, when you dig into the boards, some of you suggest that you start at the FF level. I'm not opposed to that at all. (although wings are pretty cool) I'm looking for a good reliable car that I can go out with and at least have a chance of finishing well. I certainly realize that there is still alot to be learned about driving and my limitations. So finishing and having fun are my hot buttons. Finishing well would be the icing. If any of you have any advice and or advice on a particular car that would be great. Thanks for you time. Fl.

Hi Fellow Newbie,
    This is a great time to be in the market for a used FC race car.
    I noticed that your are out of Florida...
    You should contact Purple Frog, member of this web site.
    He is very active in the CFC class in your area.
    These CFC cars can be no newer then 1990.
    There is a '89 VD on this web site for sale for asking price of $8,500.
    If you want the FC car then a '91VD out of Falmouth,MA is a great buy...
    Lots of updates on a '91 VD, two motors, spares and radio's for asking price of $15,000.
    This is a competitive Regional car.....

I'm also planning to race in the FC class next year....
    These FC guys are really helpful and really welcome new competitors.

The FF guys are also a great bunch of racers but they all have "Wing Envy !!!".

Skunk Butt...we don't have wing envy... when you learn to ride a bike you take off the training wheels when you get better right? That's all we did, take of the training grip....

Seriously...both groups are fantastic people and I would encourage you to look first at your budget and then, when you are done, add 100% to it for the things you aren't going to plan for and then decide how much you want to spend on wing repair your first year.....Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys don't mess up many wings, but I know quite a few have spent a lot of money on wing repairs when they just went off the track, whereas with a FF, no wings to break means less damage to repair.

Good Luck in your search....
    Dave Harris
    dave.harris@daveharrismotorsports.com
    http://www.daveharrismotorsports.com

Hey there-- welcome to the open-wheel club---
    Before buying a car you should go to a couple of races & hang out in the paddock looking at cars with their bodies off. that way you can see some of the technical things you will have to deal with like gear changes, susp. adjust, extra support equipment needed etc. talk to drivers from both FC, CFC, FF, CF & whatever to get an idea of different chassis, parts availability & so on. Volunteer to be a gofer, car polisher, anything to get involved. after a couple of races then you will have a better idea of which types are competitive at your budget level. Then rent one for a race to see if you fit & also get an idea of the work that is spent on/off track.

Good luck in your search & hope to see you at the track
    Rick Johnson. Crossle 45F (CF)

Thread Information