Thread: advice

Griff

I need to purchase a new racesuit. Can somebody please explain what type of suits I should be looking at. All that I know is that I think I need a 3 layer suit. I prefer to just wear shorts and a t-shirt underneath so I can strip down and stay cool. It's my understanding that a 3 layer negates me from having to wear underwear. What does the 2.5 sfi abreviations mean? I checked out a site that has Simpson, Sparco, Racetech, and a few others. I also looked at a leaf racewear suit at a show over the weekend. Never heard of them but thier whole line looked like Simpson knock off's. Of course I would love to go blow alot of money and buy a killer helmet and a Stand 21 suit but I need money to race not just look like I can. I also have my Simpson shoes and gloves. But my shoes are alittle large. Should I consider getting a smaller pair?

Thanks for your advice.

Liked: 0

I don't know what your budget is but I wear a Stand21 S2000 suit and it's awsome. It exceeds all FIA standards and breathability is fantastic. All the seams are flat stitched which is a real plus. I use all Stand 21 safety equipment (gloves boots and underwear) and really can't say enough good things about the product. Check out

winecountrymotorsportsc.com

for prices and info.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Stand 21 definitely makes a good suit. My first one was Stand 21 and it feels really light. Sparco makes a good suit as well. I used that in 2001 and felt that it was able to breathe very well. I am going to Extreme suits now and they feel very comfortable and it looks like they will breathe well, just haven't been able to try them out yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Griff:
    [QB]I need to purchase a new racesuit. Can somebody please explain what type of suits I should be looking at.All that I know is that I think I need a 3 layer suit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anybody clarify on the 3 layer question. I have not received my GCR yet (dont even know if it will be in there) but I was under the impression that a 2 layer is only required. I was about to go out and buy a 2 layer Sparco, but now am questioning as well. Griff, I have tried on the Sparco 2 suit (2 layer) and it is extremely comfortable, just an FYI. Thanks.

Robert

Liked: 78

I have what Sparco calls a 3 layer suit. The tech squad at the Runoffs determined it to be a 2 layer suit. I then had to go and buy a set of undies to pass tech.
    3 layers were required. If you want to wear the undies, then a 2 layer suit is all you need.

That stuff is really nice and so's the price.

Any suggestions for something in the $400-$500 range.

What about the suits from RaceQuip or the NASA suits from Bell?

Liked: 1417

Just for clarity, 3 layers of Nomex are required by SCCA. That means 2 layer suit + 1 layer of underwear or a 3-layer suit.

Myself, I prefer a 3-layer suit with a layer of Nomex underwear. Its cheap insurance for my skin. Plus, I can use all the extra padding I can get.

doug

Dave,

Sparco makes a 2 layer suit called the Sprint. Its 400, however it is a bit bulky and uncomfortable. Thats one of the reasons i was thinking of bumping up to the sparco 2. Much lighter/ thinner and more comfortable. It doesn't bunch up on you. Does anyone know of a Stand21 or Momo dealer in the Northeast?

Liked: 19

The nearest dealer is in Indy (I forget the name)
    I called them direct in Cali:
    Helene Jonsson
    stand21@gte.net

There website is http://www.stand21.com

But there are no prices lited there [img]redface.gif[/img]

Liked: 611

Underwear is not required with three-layer suits OR with suits carrying an SFI 3-2A/5 or higher certification patch. If you have a two layer uniform, and had to buy nomex underwear, then the suit must not of had the patch. This has been and is the current SCCA rules in the GCR.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Go to www.winecountrymotorsports.com for products and prices on Stand21,OMP, and Sparco. If you want a great deal on Sparco go to www.nascarplace.com these guys are slightly less expensive than anyone I have seen and ship free with an order above $250.00
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Keith, my Sparco has that rating on it. It was sold to me as a 3 layer suit. But it was defined as a 2 layer suit at the Runoffs. I have SCCA 2000 rule book, not a new one. I will check myself when I get home. The SCCA had a new rule book at TECH. I woulg go and check myself, but I am lazy. Anyway, you need 3 layers.

Liked: 611

jtovo,
    I spoke to SCCA before I made my last post, just in case there had been some rule change that I did not know about, and, as long as you have the SFI 3-2A/5 label (or higher), even if it is a one layer suit, you are not required to wear the nomex underwear.
    Keith
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

I got a nasa suit from Bell last year and just love it. it is the most cool suit i have had in 25 years of racing, custom made, tpp rating of 30, about 500 bucks and sfi certified so you can go withour underwear if you want. they advertise in sports car and

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

oops last part got cut off talk to bob booth

Keith, they seemed to be in a huge dilema over it at the Runoffs. I was just not in the position to argue. Thanks for clarifying that. I will get that section of the rules for future use. (if I ever find a new car)

Anyone have experience/ comments on the Momo suits. I tried one on last night, comfortable and the price is right for a 3 layer. Dont know about quality and durability. THanks

Liked: 1417

Keith and I both have 3-layer MOMO suits and they are really nice. They clean up well, breath ok, and look good, too.

I have been very happy with mine, and I am pretty sure my brother has the same opinion of his.

Liked: 1

I also have a MOMO 3-layer suit and really like it. My sentiments would mirror Doug's. AS far as the fire rating/layer/need for Nomex underwear goes, I was told that if the suit has the FIA information stitched on the back collar, it is considered to have the highest SFI rating, regardless of the layers. The Nomex III fabric is very thin, so sometimes the Tech Guys question if the suit is three layers or not. This information wasn't in the previous GCRs that I looked at.

Just happened to read this old post.
    Keep this in mind. Is it better to be cool in the past with the minimum amount of required Nomex, or be more than protected if you're stuck in a car that's on fire?
    I'm glad that I chose the latter.
    Look for a feature on this topic coming up.
    regards
    Jack
    RosenRacing
    p.s.
    One good thing about the fire was my wife insisted that I buy all new outer gear, which I reluctantly did. Suit, gloves, shoes, and even new underwear; the best that Sparco makes!!!
    jr

[size="1"][ February 17, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Jack Rosen ][/size]

Liked: 2

I used to wear a Sparco 2 and found it light and pretty comfortable. It's a 2-layer but SFI 3-2A5 rated. Last year I wore a Sparco Prima. It's a 3 layer so slightly heavier but still very comfortable. I found that the stretch panels all the way around the arms made it more comfortable than my Sparco 2. I've always figured that you've got to wear something under your suit so it might as well be Nomex. Sparco makes some really light underwear including t-shirts and boxers.

As far as shoes, I would replace them if they don't seem to fit. One less variable to worry about.
    Raj

Liked: 447

As Doug had mentioned, I like my MOMO. It's less pricey than the Sparco ones I saw. Remember, I said less pricey (but not cheap). I think I paid $750 for mine. But as Jack has experienced above, now isn't a time to be thrifty when you're trying to prevent yourself from being a KFC oven roaster!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Thread Information