Liked: 0

I'm new to the sport, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I want to purchase a new driving suit but I'm confused about the layers issue. The only suit I've had on so far, was the single layer suit the driving school gave me. Thin and worn out, my jeans offered more protection than it did. I did however buy nomex underware, socks and hood. I know the more layers the more protection but I have been questioning a couple of things. Will all of me fit into my 95 Van Dieman in three layers? Do I need to wear the underware in a three layer? Is a two layer suit a better way to go? What fabric is best? I was thinking about a Simpson suit. They offer Nomex III (stiff), Filamnet (a knit, soft and stretchy) and Sateen nomex (soft but tight woven). I'm not concerned about price too much. I figure the skin on my ass is worth it.

Are there any rules governing this issue? This season I expect to attend mainly RCCA events to get the needed seat time and just a few SCCA events to keep my regional license alive. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks

Liked: 0

First go to the home page of this site and read "My Hottest Lap" then decide. I personally wear a 3 layer Stand21 suit and underwear with a balaclava. My feeling is it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The GCR requires 2 layer suit and underwear or a 3 layer suit without. I know the summer months for you easterners can get a bit humid but if you hydrate and work out a bit the heat wont be a factor. Many of the newer 3 layer suits breath better than 2 layer suits did a few years ago.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 1

Only use a 3 layer suite you don,t need proban underwear with a 3 layer suite.But you must have socks,a SNELL 2000 hemet,arm restrainths,and fire proof shoes ,check out Racers Wholsale they know the SCCA rule book. And get a GCR!Good luck!
    Mark H
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 709

Actually, you only need an SA95 helmet this year, but they're getting harder to find. If you do find one, you might get a great deal on it. However, don't expect to be able to use it for more than 5 years (possibly less.)
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Thread Information