brando611

I'm just getting started in club racing and I'm not sure which class is best for beginners. Formula Ford is a good class I hear, but should I go 1600 or 2000?...Do Formula Fords have front and rear wings or are those the F2000 and FC cars?...Is it difficult to find a team to race with?...Is it too late to race anytime this season?...If anyone can answer these questions please post below or tell me where I can find out more. Thanks

Liked: 0

Formula Ford is the 1600 cc motor without wings. Formula Continental is the SCCA designation for the Ford 2L OHC motor with wings. [Take a look at the FC photo's in the "Gallery".]

No problem getting started mid-season, we did. Our first SCCA racecar was also an FC, a '94 van Dieman. Don always thought it offered the best performance per $ of any SCCA class.

BTW, you should find much of what you need to know by just browsing thru the old messages in this great forum; and if you don't, just ask.

brando611

Thanks for the clarification....

I've been looking for a car but I don't know which manufacturer builds good chassis or reliable engines. Some people have complained that their car is too small. I'm about 5'11', 170 lbs so I don't think I'll have trouble squeezing into one. Should I look for a smaller car or does it really make a difference in performance?...

I would like to keep the entire package under $14K (is that a reasonable figure?) From what I can tell, that will buy me an early-mid 90s FC or F2000 (whichever I can fit in my price range.)

Any advice will be a huge help.

Thread Information