Liked: 0

OK so I've decided to go racing. Was seriously considering CFC but have been rethinking that decision. DSR seems like alot of fun and might actually satisfy the tinkerer in me. Would love to go FC but I know that will be a little out of budget for a few years if I'm actually going to be competitive on a national level. I was never allowed to race as a kid or as a teenager. I'm 25 years old now so I have to face the facts that I will probably never have the chance nor the talent to make a profession out of this. Will be at least next season before I can get a car and equipment.

So why do you guys race FC and CFC? What about FF? Suggested reading or anything like that to get started?

Thanks
    Paul

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

I would reccomend starting out with a Formula Ford because they slide around a lot and help you gain experience with car control. Also any car with wings has a higer cornering speed so when you make the kind of mistakes that all of us did when learning the limit your repair bills are bigger! Any wing front or rear is expensive to replace and it's not a question of IF just WHEN you find out the cost of parts. It is easy to make the transition to a wing car after driving a FF first. Also the wings can mask a lot of both setup and driving weaknesses so that you may THINK you are faster than you realy are until you get to a point that you are not getting better because of that. Sure the wings make it look like a REAL race car but learn how to drive without them first. OK now someone will tell you I'm full of S--t and start out with wings! JMHO Darrell

Many regions offer a "Club Ford" or "Spec Ford" class for older chassis. Check out http://pub35.ezboard.com/bformulafordunderground for lots of discussions about getting started, the cost of racing CF, and chassis choices.

Liked: 1

Good advice. Please check out my website for some tips on purchasing your first race car. I have received a lot of positive feedback on the article. Hope it helps.
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

More questions then. Is there a class similar to CFC for FF? I would like to start out with an older chassis to cushion the initial cost to just get started. Is chassis selection limited to Mygale and Van Diemen? FF is 1600 correct? I agree it would probablt be best to learn the fundamentals first. Thanks.

Thread Information