Thread: VD Fit Kit

Liked: 0

Default VD Fit Kit

I just talked to Douglas Brenner. He is getting ready to go pick up his VD/Fit conversion.

Anyone that knows Douglas (and his car), knows what a stickler he is for details. His car is arguably one of the most sanitary cars I have ever seen.

Douglas was very excited about the work HPD had done on his car for the development of the Fit Kit of the VD. He said the attention to detail was remarkable, he was very excited.

I guess the VD Kit is now available from HPD.

Here is a picture taken at HPD with Douglas' VD. Sorry for the lack of detail on the install, Douglas said he would post more pictures when he got back home.

Liked: 22

Congrats, Douglas. Looks great! Get it out there soon so I won't be the lone "FH" in the paddock and on the grid like I was this past weekend. We had a great time, though, did well, and the car and engine package worked super and drew a ton of attention as you might expect.

The 29mm restrictor is a definite improvement over the 27.5, but to be truly competitive against the front-running Fords they will need to give us more, like probably a 30 or 30.5. We'll see what they do at the June Sprints or thereafter.

Looking forward to seeing your car!

That is quite the audience checking out his car. I wonder if they are all thinking about getting a fit.
    Ken

Default More VD Fit pics

Assuming I'm doing the attachment-thing correctly, here's ours, in the final stages of assembly. We should debut at the Sprints next week.

Default Still more VD Fit pics

And some more VD Fit pics, taken today at Quantum Mechanics:

Liked: 553

Looks great.

Dan, if/when you get a minute, can you tell us what Aim system you have and if it had an easy (CAN?) interface with the Honda?

I looked into it very briefly and it appeared the Evo4 logger system might be needed if you wanted plug & play (using inputs available from the Honda sensors/ECU).

Thanks

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Looks great.

Dan, if/when you get a minute, can you tell us what Aim system you have and if it had an easy (CAN?) interface with the Honda?

I looked into it very briefly and it appeared the Evo4 logger system might be needed if you wanted plug & play (using inputs available from the Honda sensors/ECU).

Thanks
    AIM has an easy interface in with the Honda ECU. I've sold one to a DB6/Fit conversion and he easily installed it.

EVO4, XG Log, MXL all can talk to the ECU.

Default AIM support

Douglas had a CDS system in his VD when he ran the Zetec. He switched to an AIM system when he decided to go the Fit route. I think it was a very straight forward switch.

I exchanged emails with Sara at CDS last week, no word on Fit support (intgerated ECU support) as yet.

Default AIM Dash

It's an AiM MyChron3 Gold (kart) and came with the car when I bought it.

As others mentioned, it was a relatively straightforward match to the Honda. The only downside was the lack of an oil pressure readout because it was originally intended for karting. The analog oil pressure gauge gets us around that issue.

I don't have experience with other dash systems (Pi, CDS, etc). I'm an old fart and my first FF was full of Smiths gauges.<g>. I've been racing "tin-tops" in recent years (a tube-frame, rear-drive Honda CRX) and the most sophisticated telemetry on that car was a Tach-Tale axle speed indicator....

So I'm looking forward to joining the 21st century with this setup!

Hope that helps.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZ View Post
    Congrats, Douglas. Looks great! Get it out there soon so I won't be the lone "FH" in the paddock and on the grid like I was this past weekend. We had a great time, though, did well, and the car and engine package worked super and drew a ton of attention as you might expect.

The 29mm restrictor is a definite improvement over the 27.5, but to be truly competitive against the front-running Fords they will need to give us more, like probably a 30 or 30.5. We'll see what they do at the June Sprints or thereafter.

Looking forward to seeing your car!
    Have Dave, sorry I missed you this weekend. Congrats on getting the Fit out and running well. Did anyone get any pictures of that beautiful Piper at Laguna?

Liked: 955

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
    Have Dave, sorry I missed you this weekend. Congrats on getting the Fit out and running well. Did anyone get any pictures of that beautiful Piper at Laguna?
    Bill, I didn't get any pics, but I saw it and yes, it was indeed beautiful, as all the Pipers in the paddock this weekend. Sure missed you.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default A picture is worth a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Bill, I didn't get any pics, but I saw it and yes, it was indeed beautiful, as all the Pipers in the paddock this weekend. Sure missed you.
    Man, with millions of iPhones and such around, you would think someone would snap a few pics.

Bill -

My friend, Steve Knoll of www.laprecord.com shot a few of the car on-track, and I'll post them later, soon as I can figure out how to shrink the file sizes. Unfortunately, he didn't get any of the car up close w/ engine cover removed. Will do that soon. Stay tuned.

Dave

Liked: 553

soon as I can figure out how to shrink the file sizes.
    I usually use Microsoft Paint, then Image - Stetch/Skew, then replace "100%" with something less.

Liked: 709

I'll post them later, soon as I can figure out how to shrink the file sizes.
    Try http://www.irfanview.com/

It's free and easy to use.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Default Pictures via Irfanview

Thanks Mike B.... Converted the 3 pics to <350KB each w/ Irfanview, but still won't upload from my computer. Getting an error message saying the ApexSpeed server can't presently accept files...?

Liked: 23

------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thanks, Tim!

Liked: 212

Default Hey Ric!

dave,

nice car, ric baribeault was there and has a picture of engine bay w no body work on his i phone

Default More VD Fit pics

Taking the thread back to VD land (btw, the Piper looks great!), here are pics of our car on the pad at Quantum this week, along with two different tail treatments: the interim tail, using the original (orange) Kent bodywork modified to clear the taller Honda intake and our long-term solution, incorporating the HPD air scoop onto a Zetec tail section.

Dan

Default A few more pictures

Douglas sent me a few more pictures of his VD after he got it back from HPD.

He said he was pleased with the quality workmanship and attention to detail. He said other than a few slight re-routes of oil lines and wiring, he was good to go.

BTW, check out the shocks, wow!

Dan and Douglas, nice stuff, guys, very nice. Hope to see you both on the track soon. Looks like you're ready.

Dave Z.

Liked: 78

Default Welcome back, Douglas

Douglas, the Fit conversion is looking good. Will be great to have you back at SF Region events. -- Michael

Default A few more pictures.

Here are a few more pictures from Douglas. He has it fired up and the plumbing pretty much complete. First test days can't be far away now.

Updates!!!

Default More VD Fit pics

Here are pics of my VD from the Sprints, our first time out with the car. We'll be running again this weekend at Gateway.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 648

I'll have a bare RF-94/95 chassis available soon. The right rear suffered minor damage from a Jul 4th shunt.

Iverson

msengineering@q.com

Thread Information