Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Watkins Glen Honda In-Car Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQBx2njgVP4 . This is a link to one of the Friday qualifying sessions at the Glen Double 2010. No race video, I must have a union camera and it just refuses to work on Sat or Sun.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQBx2njgVP4No race video, I must have a union camera and it just refuses to work on Sat or Sun.
    Surprised it works much at all

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

It probably needs double batteries on weekends...
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default What make of camera do you have

that it does not actually work 100% of the time?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... does it start with a "G", is 2 words, and ends with an "O"?

Just wondering.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

On that note I have a Sony and I'll never buy one again. Google "Sony" and "re-insert media, disc, or tape" and see what you come up with. First time it happened to me was about 5 minutes before my daughters' graduation. Fortunately, a few other family members there with cameras.

I just bought a Flip Video HD camera today....have two buddies with them and they are happy. Not very much money for the picture/sound quality....we'll see.

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Video

It's a POV system and I'm real happy witht the quality when it works. We just can't figure out why it's shutting off when it does, making it hard to fix. We've got it padded, isolated, you name it, we've done it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 261

good video and nice drive. looked like vee fest 2010 for awhile

Liked: 0

Awesome vids

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    It's a POV system and I'm real happy witht the quality when it works. We just can't figure out why it's shutting off when it does, making it hard to fix. We've got it padded, isolated, you name it, we've done it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I went through two POV-1 systems that would shut off. The problem would become progressively worse over time - when the units were new, they'd stay on for 15-20 minutes; after one weekend of use, they'd shut off in 5 minutes; after two weekends, they'd shut off when I pulled out of the pits. It's the excessive vibration - after a lot of haggling with POV, they admitted it was a problem and refunded my money. I bought a Stack DVR as a replacement (which I haven't had a chance to try yet).

Liked: 0

Default POV 1

I have used a POV 1 for a couple of seasons. I have never had a single problem, other than forgetting to turn the recording on when leaving the pre-grid.

I made a cradle for the main body out of two part foam. The camera was always mounted on top of my roll hoop with one of their tubing mounts.

The video and sound quality is terrific.

Liked: 157

We have used a couple of different systems, none are perfect and all have one issue or another. We are now also using the P.O.V. Initially we had our share of problems, recorders turning off, invalid clip" messages and so forth. We now have the system working about 90% of the time.

Some things that helped a lot in reducing problems:

--use only Extreme III SDHC video cards. If you use a normal card, the write speed is too low and the card cant keep up with all the data coming in from the recorder and the system will shut down with loss of video.

--make sure the connections between the recorder and camera are tight (but dont over-tighten them). And dont have any tension on the cables where they go into the camera or recorder. Any movement of the wire at the connection causes a shut down and loss of video.

--make sure you are using the POV 1.5 camera. This is the orange/red color camera and it eliminates one of the connections since the camera end of the cable is hard-wired into the camera on this version. Switching from the black 1.0 to the red 1.5 camera eliminated a lot of our lost video.

--as Jon said, vibration is a big issue with the recorder (true for all systems). Dont hard mount your recorder or if you do make sure it is heavily padded. We now just lay our recorder on its side wedged inside a big piece of foam.

--make sure you "lock" the camera in record after starting to record. If you dont the buttons can get pushed inadvertantly during the race and shut off the recorder.

The bottom line is that none of the systems are designed to work inside a formula car and will cause soe type of headache. But I like the POV better than any of the other ones we have tried. The ChaseCam was good, too, but once we wanted to run two cameras it took up too much room which is why we switched.

HTH

Tom

Liked: 112

I am so glad I switched to a chase cam recently. Tired of failure with other things.

Liked: 157

Chasecam is nice because you have the option of hard wiring it into your car battery, no more messing around with AA batteries. But is is very expensive, about twice the cost of a POV.

Liked: 22

Nice drive, Mike, and good finishes as well! Been reading you guys' posts about the weekend, and sounds like a good time was had by all. Watkins Glen is still on my bucket list, and someday I'll get back there. Watching your video makes it look pretty inviting, especially for our cars....looks fast and lots of rhythm.

Towards the end of the video, who was it that spun in one of the RH'ers right in front of you, coming to a very abrupt stop against the armco? Bet that hurt!! Hope he's ok.

Keep posting those videos...fun to watch especially when you can't be there.

Dave Z.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZ View Post
    Towards the end of the video, who was it that spun in one of the RH'ers right in front of you, coming to a very abrupt stop against the armco? Bet that hurt!! Hope he's ok.
    That might have been me,

Didn't hurt, actually didn't hit anything, but found myself rolling toward pit lane, about 10mph, backwards. Luckily saw a little gap in the barrier, and rolled back into that, but it left me about 90 degrees to track, and very little visibility, but was able to just see a gap, and get out,

OR

maybe that was my secret plan to wreck Scanlans fast lap !
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Chasecam is nice because you have the option of hard wiring it into your car battery, no more messing around with AA batteries. But is is very expensive, about twice the cost of a POV.
    My Stack system is the same as the Chasecam, in that it's hard wired into the car. Toggle switch on the dash to turn it on and off, and a second toggle to start/stop the recording. As I said above, I haven't had the chance to use it on the track yet, but playing around with it, I've been quite happy.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Quote Originally Posted by mblanc View Post

maybe that was my secret plan to wreck Scanlans fast lap !
    It didn't do much to help MY lap! I came around just as you rolled off and hit the dirt and grass that you threw all over T11 and damn near craped my suit!

Now,....for that Fu(king piece of pipe in the ground at the end of pit lane. I hit that same POS last year and it stopped my car so quick that the sub belts almost decapitated little Mikie! Sucks that that's what put you out for the last half of the weekend Marc. You really learned the track quick and got fast!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 22

[quote=mblanc;261955]That might have been me,

Glad you're OK!

DaveZ

Thread Information