Liked: 2

Default Lucas Mech. Fuel Injection Timing?

Seeking advice on Lucas fuel injection timing on my 1600 supervee
    I've heard accuracy is not real important so long as you inject sometime during the inlet stroke.
    I have the #1 fuel port "just cracking" with #1 at tdc on the beginning of the inlet stroke (overlap)
    had it running and it runs good, just thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks,
    Scott Sanders

Liked: 17

Scott,

I tried calling you this morning. You had mentioned in your voice mail that it is running extremely rich at higher RPM's. Is this correct.

Tim Bland

Liked: 141

Per Cosworth for BDJ
    "No. 1 starts to inject at 18 deg. A.T.D.C. with No. 4 firing"
    Same for BDH and FVC

Liked: 0

Default As per Engine Development Limited

"Fuel injection timing is 120 deg ATDC #1 cyl inlet valve open.
    This is achieved best by approximating the 120 deg position by find TDC induction stroke # 1 then moving from TDC clockwise 1/3 or 120 deg further.

Now remove #1 injection pipe and union if the metering unit is rotated by hand looking into the open port, you will notice the port being uncovered . This is the point of injection and should be set just cracking at 120 deg position.

Now the timing is set and injection pulley can be tightened."

This from the Engine developments Limited paperwork I got for my car.

Hope this helps.
    Ricardo
    Last edited by RVJ; 06.26.10 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add photo ref:

Default ? helps?

I can try copying the pages some other way, if that helps , too.
    Are these photos of any help?
    Ricardo

Default Lucas injection timing

Thanks, Ricardo. I have been researching this same question. After seeing the photos you posted, I was able to find the Engine Developments document, and it can be downloaded here:

http://www.vwmotorsport.com/vwcat/fi...uper%20Vee.pdf

Also, Kinsler has a wealth of Lucas injection information. You can download their catalog #32 here (warning--clicking on this link will start the download--it is about 22MB so be prepared if you don't have a fast connection!):

http://www.kinsler.com/Cat_32_Whole_...9_WholeSec.pdf

Lucas is covered from about page 207 through 216. Page 211 discusses timing Lucas injection--the following quote is taken from that page:

"For most engines, the best fuel timing is about 40 crankshaft degrees before top dead center, coming up to start the intake stroke."

And for those who haven't seen it, here is another site with great information on Lucas injection:

http://www.lucasinjection.com/

Earl

Thread Information