Liked: 0

Default Wanted: a cheap Hans device

I'm looking for a cheap, used Hans device than still meets SCCA regulations and all. I'm thinking like the $200-$300 range. I don't know if they even go that cheap, but it's worth a shot. Preferably a 30 degree, cause i have a formula vee. You can also contact me at Razorback-14@hotmail.com.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I suggest Google-ing

the lyrics to the Aerosmith song "Dream On"...

Liked: 1432

Unfortunately Coop is correct. Used ones on apex go for around $500 and are sold within a few hours.

Liked: 2

I was lucky and found one on apex for $450. I think that would be the minimum you will be able to find one for. I have the steering wheel if you still need one, will bring to Laguna next weekend.

Liked: 84

I was quoted $475 shipped for a brand new DefNder neck restraint. How does this product measure up to the Hans? I've read a few pretty good reviews on it. Does anyone here have first hand experience? I'd like to get one.

Liked: 1432

My 2cents, spend the extra $100 and get a Hans. I tired a Defender at the Sprints last year and in no way at all would it work in my car, 92 VD FF. I sit very reclined, so that might have a little to do with it (yes, I adjusted the angle on the Defender, and tired all 3 angles.)

The large bars that sit on your shoulders sit high enough that I could not even get my helmet on. With my helmet on, I was looking at the microphone, and could not get it any lower. I tired a few friends' helmets with the same result. I tried it in several sedans and it worked well there, my only concern was that when I tried to get out the metal adjusters on the belt got wedged between the black plastic bars of the device and the pads. If I were in a panic to get out, I could see this being a large problem. Also, it is pretty uncomfortable as the shoulder pads are not all that thick and the plastic was pretty obnoxious pushing on my clavicles.

And Defender's customer service is horrible from my experience.

Get a Hans.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 95

I've got an original hans that I could sell thats well within your price range.......

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    I've got an original hans that I could sell thats well within your price range.......
    If it's the original darth vader looking one I'd be interested in just having one on the shelf to show people.

10rmotor, will your hans meet regulations for SCCA? They will be required in 2012. How much do you want for it?

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    If it's the original darth vader looking one I'd be interested in just having one on the shelf to show people.
    You have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I was lucky and found one on apex for $450. I think that would be the minimum you will be able to find one for. I have the steering wheel if you still need one, will bring to Laguna next weekend.
    What kind of wheel is it? How much do you want for it? And do you think I could get some pics? Thanks Bruce.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    10rmotor, will your hans meet regulations for SCCA? They will be required in 2012. How much do you want for it?
    I honestly do not know about it having to meet any current regulations. I also do not know that H&Ns will be required in 2012. Where did you see this?

A fellow Vee racer told me, I believe he got it from an administrator or something. Could I get some pics? Thank you

Contributing Member

I will send you some pics if you PM me your email address, but I warn you ahead of time: You will need to get some hardware to be able to use this thing. When I contacted hans about using it they basically told me to go F### myself (no joke). They didn't support it AT ALL, and their attitude towards those that want to use them is, shall we say, ice cold. It really soured me on their whole business, and it killed me to spend any money with them when I got a current hans.

Bottom line is call them on monday to see if their attitude has changed. If it has warmed up then let me know and we can go further. As much as I'd like to get a fraction of what I paid for this getup, I'd hate to knowingly sell you something that you truly intend to use and have you find out you wasted your money. I really do want to sleep at night......

Ok, well thank you for your consideration. My e-mail is in the top post but I PMed you anyway. Does your HANS have a model type or something so that I can research that specific type?

There will be an SFI 38.1 requirement starting in 2012. All drivers will have to wear a head restraint that meets that standard. I'm not sure if the original device would meet the standard. It would need to have the little silver SFI sticker on it.

Contributing Member

Got your PM, thanks!

Quick google search found this link:
    http://www.autoracing1.com/GoodBoys/001107HANS2.htm

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    I was quoted $475 shipped for a brand new DefNder neck restraint. How does this product measure up to the Hans? I've read a few pretty good reviews on it. Does anyone here have first hand experience? I'd like to get one.
    Unlike Reid, I've had pretty good experiences with my DefNder. You do have to spend some time adjusting it to fit, and the further you recline the tougher it will be to get set up properly. On top of that, some helmets just won't work with it. You have to adjust the angle AND the length of the shoulder pads to get it right, and that takes some time. When I first got mine, I couldn't get thr fit to work until I'd spent 4 or 5 rounds ajusting to get it right.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Actually, I won't be participating in Leguna that weekend. But anyway, Is that one on the website the one you have? Cooleyjb says it has to have a SFI rating of 38.1, does yours have that? And just out of curiosity cooley, where did you get that information?

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    Actually, I won't be participating in Leguna that weekend. But anyway, Is that one on the website the one you have? Cooleyjb says it has to have a SFI rating of 38.1, does yours have that? And just out of curiosity cooley, where did you get that information?
    It's in one of the fastrack communications over the last year. You could go through all of them on the SCCA website. Not sure when it will make it into the GCR, this coming year or next.

Liked: 5

had same issue with fitment in my stohr and did all the adjustments and it never fit right , returned for a hans 30 and it works perfect and i can turn my head without fear of hooking the sides with my helmut if i forgot to lift my head slightly

benny

Ok, thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'm still looking into 10rmotors HANS but if anyone else has one I'm still interested.

Liked: 9

Default HANS recertification

If you find a used HANS, you can have HANS recertify it for you. The cost depends on the condition and age of the device. They will most likely replace the tethers (they recommend replacing the tethers every couple of years like harnesses), replace the surface of the shoulder yolks where it is textured to grip your harnesses and inspect the device for any cracks or wear issues. However, if the device is really old, they may not recertify it at all so you can check with them prior to purchasing and they will ask some questions about the device. Check to see if the seller has a serial number or something on the device. If you don't get it recertified, I would recommend at least replacing the tethers on it but I think it's scary buying a used device. Who knows if the thing was involved in an accident or what conditions it has been exposed to.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Alright, thank you ApexPerformance. That was actually really helpful.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPerformance View Post
    (they recommend replacing the tethers every couple of years like harnesses)
    Gotta love even the folks at hans jumping in on that bandwagon. Why am I not surprised?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Recertification?

Recertification? This implies that these units were certified at one time. If so, why would a unit need to be recertified? Are we being saddled with another piece of gear that has an expiration date? Does SCCA intend to enforce some expiration date?

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 9

Default Hans Recertification

Some older HANS Devices don't have the FIA/SFI tags on them. Sometimes the friction material on the older units starts to peel off too from continued use. HANS recommends replacing your unit every 5 years or so but as long as you take care of the unit (keep it out of direct sunlight/heat, keep it clean and inspect it for cracks or wear on a regular basis especially if involved in an accident) it should last your racing career. The only thing that expires that I am aware of are the tethers which should be replaced every couple of years (similar to harnessbelts).
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPerformance View Post
    Some older HANS Devices don't have the FIA/SFI tags on them.
    Some of the very first FIA devices had the FIA certification cast into the rear of the neck brace. Can be hard to see.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 2

Default GCR

It's already in the GCR. See section 9.3.20.C.2

[FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]2 Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell [/FONT][FONT=Univers]sticker 2000 or later Special Application (SA2000), or by the [/FONT][FONT=Univers]SFI with a SFI Sticker 31.1a for open faced helmets and a SFI [/FONT][FONT=Univers]sticker 31.2a for closed faced (if purchased prior to 12/31/04), [/FONT][FONT=Univers]SFI 31.1 (if purchased after 1/1/05), or by the FIA standard [/FONT][FONT=Univers]8860-2004, or British Standards Institute BS6658-85 type A/[/FONT] [FONT=Univers]FR. The back of each driver’s helmet shall be labeled with a [/FONT][FONT=Univers]minimum of the driver’s name. The use of a head and neck [/FONT][FONT=Univers]support system is highly recommended. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers-BoldItalic][FONT=Univers-BoldItalic]As of 1/1/12, head and [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers-BoldItalic][FONT=Univers-BoldItalic]neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers][FONT=Univers]Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his [/FONT][FONT=Univers]or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 [/FONT][FONT=Univers]Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph) 916-331-5073 [/FONT][FONT=Univers](attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be [/FONT][FONT=Univers]included. Freon based total loss helmet cooling systems are [/FONT][FONT=Univers]not allowed.[/FONT][/FONT]

Liked: 29

Where did you find one for $475.00?

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications

Thread Information