Liked: 42

Default Road Atlanta Weekend Thread

In the middle of Thursday testing. Updates to follow on www.f2000championshipseries.com and ofcourse, www.twitter.com/F2000 .

More to come from Road Atlanta!

Liked: 126

Would someone contact Mike Rand for me? I'm wondering if he would be kind enough to bring a motorcycle engine back up north to the the Lime Rock National? Is a case of beer incentive enough?

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    Is a case of beer incentive enough?
    Yep. That should be plenty.

I hope Mike doesn't mind me answering for him. :-).

Is the engine in the ATL area? If yes, and you don't hook up with Mike, I'll be glad to help get it to you.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thanks Russ - Coopstar is bringing it to Road Atlanta Saturday.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Mike Rand here, I told Rob by email just now that sure I'll bring it back, he just needs to have GC get it to me before 2PM on Saturday.
    And hopefully cleaned, not leaking oil and not stinky, it's a good 14 hours back home !

Liked: 1880

Any word on Weitzenhof's crash?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

I'll leave it to Dave to explain, suffice to say it was a single car impact into the tire wall drivers left around turn 4, down through the esses.
    Dave is fine, totally unhurt, the car not so much.
    Unlikely Dave will be running the Road Atlanta races after 17 years away from the track of his multiple National Championships.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Crew list

Hey I was wondering if anyone has a spot. I'd like to come up and watch a bit on Saturday, PLUS I gotta get in to drop off an engine for transport back to MI.

Thanks!

Thanks Mike - and too bad about Dave.

Liked: 3787

[color-purple]Coop, I'm sure we can get you in as a series guest. PM me a phone numberf so i can get you the secret password.

[/color]

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar

Default Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Done

Top five for race 1 are separated by a tenth of a second.

The 18-lap or 30-minute race gets underway at 2:15 eastern, about an hour from now!

Watch on http://twitter.com/F2000

These photos, leaked to the F2000 communications staff, show the results of an incident last night at the Comfort Inn in Oakwood. Apparently, according to sources familiar with the situation, series boss Mike Rand left his doors unlocked.

Un-photographed was the rather large, and full, hotel-lobby-sized trash can in the trunk.

Last edited by Monty M; 05.08.10 at 8:47 AM.

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar

I have stayed there before, that is a rough area. Can you believe that some one dented Rand's LF corner and didnt leave a note...shameful.

I wonder where a certain series chaperone was last night...

Liked: 296

I would like to thank the Purple Frog for giving me a great rundown on the track Wednesday night. I would also like to thank the entire F2000 CS staff for running what is an amazing and completely enjoyable racing series. Finally, I have to thank Brad at Primus and whoever else had a hand in the lunch (Sandy?) everyday. What a great weeekend!

The Series visited my home track. Reality sets in. 35 car/driver combinations all faster than I.

30+ cars, beautiful weather, one of the greatest tracks in North America, and a large crowd of spectators. What is not to love!

In one year's time Alegra Motorsports has gone from rookie to domination.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 05.24.10 at 11:17 AM.

So many stories. There is almost no difference between the Masters and the Kids in terms of lap times.

Gotta show that fast pinto...

Chris wrote some kind words about my coaching. But when he hit the track behind me, i think he took about 3 turns of coaching and said "adios". I guess he didn't need coaching on 'slow'.

He jumped up into the top 5 in one of the sessions. With John Walko wrenching, they are developing the pinto program. We have seen what a pinto can do at Road America.

I cheer for these guys because the driver and crew come in with a trailer behind a pickup, and obtw... the trailer is their living quarters. Keeps the low budget all going to racing, not sleeping and breakfast buffets.

Cole was on the podium Friday. Saturday he just dusted the field before his motor went kaboom.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 07.27.10 at 1:07 AM.

The most unbelievable 'save' of the weekend was Keith McCrone's in Friday's race. He was battling Chris Gumprent through T1 about 4 seconds behind Jonathon "ventilating" a motor. Major oil spill. Keith spun on the uphil (120 mph), did a complete 360 while disappearing out of our sight. He snatched into into 1st as he rotated, and continued on without ever coming to rest.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 06.15.10 at 2:25 AM.

Ardie takes my teasing well. He did beat me at the ARRC one year.

He was fighting a big "oversteer" condition. He still had the 'oval' setup on when he went out to practice.

Seriously, he is putting his program together and is now running in the top 10. And... he might have the best looking crew.

You know we are getting to be a big time Series when we quit using Mike Rand to do trophy presentations.

Carly volunteered, and didn't have to ask twice.

Default If you work hard...

R Sports was having the 'weekend from hell'. They were fast but 'stuff' kept happening. Including a complete engine R & R on Friday night late. Paul and crew just kept digging, and not sleeping. Saturday they had two cars finish in the top 5. Makes the drive back to Penn's state a lot easier.

It also helps if you have
    lucky shoes.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1491

So at least three Zetecs went boom? I thought that reliability was the incentive to go Zetec!

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

the one in my car went 7 seasons without a problem. that's pretty reliable

Liked: 0

2 top five finishes made all the work worth it. " Big Thanks" to everyone who helped get the #22 car on track for Saturday....
    4 out of 5 voices in my head say "Go For It"

Quote Originally Posted by DS63 View Post
    2 top five finishes made all the work worth it. " Big Thanks" to everyone who helped get the #22 car on track for Saturday....
    Don is talking about Purple Frog here. Mike put in a few hours with the R-Sport team to put a new motor in my car burning the mid night oil to make sure I did not miss any seassions on Saturday. Ive never heard of an official, exspecially the chief of tech get his hands dirty with one of the teams out of pure love of the sport.

Also thank you to Rob Nicholas who did some Calculations for us to ensure some questions we had about a new clutch if it would work with this motor.

This series is as fierce as it gets on the track but as friendly as possible off the track. Truly a terrific series.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    The most unbelievable 'save' of the weekend was Keith McCrone's in Friday's race. He was battling Chris Gumprent through T1 about 4 seconds behind Jonathon "ventilating" a motor. Major oil spill. Keith spun on the uphil (120 mph), did a complete 360 while disappearing out of our sight. He snatched into into 1st as he rotated, and continued on without ever coming to rest.
    Only lost 3 positions in the process....
    4 out of 5 voices in my head say "Go For It"

Liked: 9

Default A Great Series

Want to publicly thank all who helped get the 06 back on track for the Saturday race after our last lap crash Friday. The team worked late into the night Friday and back at it early Saturday to make it just in time for the last 2 qualifying laps. The shakedown gave Tim some confidence nothing was too far off for the race.

Being new at this I am amazed at the welcome we've received from the series staff and participants.

Special thanks (again) to Glenn @ GTP, Ardie, Mike Rand and series staff. the crew and my partner Tad for all your help.

We are having a blast. With a little more experience we can find those last couple of seconds.....

Rick Paul

Most of us mere mortals ( I can't speak for Cole) usually wonder as we are screaming down the steep hill into T12 at Road Atlanta, "what if something breaks right about now?"

Well, Tim Paul found out. I was in the starters stand, and just at the apex of T12, Tim's toe link on the left rear snapped. Immediately the right rear pointy wildly out, and Tim was along for a big ride into the wall before the starters stand. A really big hit. Luckily the car had rotated over 180 degrees, so it was not head on.

A major thrash by many folks, and bruised elbow, et al, Tim was seen driving down the ramp to Qualify on Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 06.15.10 at 2:24 AM.

Liked: 19

What a great looking car....

Still has the original motor from '02 as well.......

Frog, what the hell are you talking about - thinking while driving?? Who does that.......

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Ardie takes my teasing well.

Seriously, he is putting his program together and is now running in the top 10. And... he might have the best looking crew.
    Great crew, great team. Really enjoyed working with them during the week!

Ditto on ML!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Any word on Weitzenhof's crash?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    I'll leave it to Dave to explain, suffice to say it was a single car impact into the tire wall drivers left around turn 4, down through the esses.
    Dave is fine, totally unhurt, the car not so much.
    Unlikely Dave will be running the Road Atlanta races after 17 years away from the track of his multiple National Championships.
    Suffice it to say that I made probably the dumbest mistake I've ever made on the racetrack:

I looked in my mirrors between 3 & 4, and drove off the RH side of the track. That left me on the grass inside the corner, and I slid across the track on #4 exit and into the outside tirewall.

The impact tore off both LH suspensions, and damaged the LH sidepod and nose. The frame escaped with one small crack on one of the LH upper a-arm pickups, which I welded easily. The DAQ display went blank, but that was only a fuse that blew and saved the unit when the LF speed sensor got ripped off.

I'll be at M-O for the National, but the bodywork may be a bit ratty.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 309

Default Dan Erickson?

I was looking at the results over on the series' website, but see no mention of Dan Erickson and Primus Racing.

I thought he looked like a real up-n-comer. Anybody know what happened?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Lack of cash.

Thread Information