Thread: SCCA Pro Racing

Liked: 45

Default SCCA Pro Racing

I attended the SCCA Pro event this past weekend at NJ Motorsports Park, and it was a great event. It was my first Pro event, and it really spoils you for the club racing weekends. For anyone considering attending a Pro event, I highly recommend it.

Inclusive of the promoter test day on Friday, I was in the car and on track for a full 4.5 hours over three days. And when you’re on the track, you’re really on the track practicing/racing – it’s all FE’s; no black flag alls; no Formula Vees in your way; no Formula Atlantics blasting up behind you.

Everything was professional. As valuable/necessary as volunteers are at Club races, they are volunteers, and it’s nice to deal with the SCCA Pro staff, who are knowledgable and experienced.

The group of drivers were also impressive. Fast and aggressive, but also controlled. I didn’t see any maniacs on the track. I learned an awful lot, and my driving is significantly better by being able to watch the fast guys.

If you can get to one of the races, I highly recommend it!

Jon

Liked: 0

I am very upset I missed this event as I wanted to spectate. Sounded like a great time with great racing.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Liked: 11

Default Miller June 5-6

Next SCCA Pro FE w/e is June 5-6 at Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake City in support of TransAm and VW TDI Cup.

More info here: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=132
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 76

It is great to have a series with one class in a race. In club racing you're not even garuteed this at the runoffs anymore. Inthe past when the Valvline Pro Vee series ran with nationals most people ran both the national and the pro race the same day. The Vee only race always was a better race and had a different conplection with only one class on the track. The only way I ever see this happening in club racing is if some class can bring enough cars to a weekend to justify there own race group. I'm afraid this is just a pipe dream with the exception of a few special events like the FV birthday parties and the ff 40th.
    Maybe the fords will have there own race again at there 80th rerunion.
    Butch
    butch deer

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    ..... The only way I ever see this happening in club racing is if some class can bring enough cars to a weekend to justify there own race group. I'm afraid this is just a pipe dream with the exception of a few special events....
    We have a group out here in ICSCC racing that's DANG near done that on their own.

Called PRO-3. 325i BMW's (1987 to 1991) built TOUGH but relatively inexpensive. They run their engines WELL over 50,000 miles of racing and put on a great show! Usually have 25 to 40 PLUS show up for a weekend. Right now they run in a mixed group with A/P, SPM and SPO cars. They play well together and on occasion are awarded a "special race" just for PRO-3.

They also put a huge effort in as a group to support the club and promote the sport of road racing off the track.

All you need are dedicated drivers to do it. They have a serious BLAST on track too!

Even have their own web site:

http://www.pro3-racing.com/
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 42

The pro series has been a blast so far. At NJMP multiple people who were there to see TransAm or TDI cup made comments about how much they liked the FE and SRF races.

14 cars for FE was nearly as big as teh SRF group at NJMP. Nice work to get the field out there. I'm trying to justify the Miller race to my wallet and wife as it's been so much fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    We have a group out here in ICSCC racing that's DANG near done that on their own.

Called PRO-3. 325i BMW's (1987 to 1991) built TOUGH but relatively inexpensive. They run their engines WELL over 50,000 miles of racing and put on a great show! Usually have 25 to 40 PLUS show up for a weekend. Right now they run in a mixed group with A/P, SPM and SPO cars. They play well together and on occasion are awarded a "special race" just for PRO-3.

They also put a huge effort in as a group to support the club and promote the sport of road racing off the track.

All you need are dedicated drivers to do it. They have a serious BLAST on track too!

Even have their own web site:

http://www.pro3-racing.com/
    I'm loooking forward to running one at the 12 hour this year.

Thread Information