Liked: 447

Default rFactor League Race #8: Heartland Park

Ok race fans. Coming down to the last few races where each track has hosted the SCCA National Championships. The first stop on our tour we're racing at the newest track for our rFactor league in Topeka. Last week we had some great racing with surprisingly few cars. Inge and the Markleins dropped out before the checker, but there was still some decent racing left with the remaining few. Come on out and run some laps!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 129

Updated points:

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques N. Dresang
    Last edited by Gokart Mozart; 12.14.10 at 11:58 PM.
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

Liked: 0

Shoot I left before the end of the first lap! Sorry for the wild start.. I broke a bit early into the first corner and seen Keith coming fast.. tried to get out of his way.

Nah no problem, it was a fun first lap. It was interesting to see where you were going to go exiting the bus stop.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Here's Jac's points sheet with the two lowest races dropped.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Keith,
    I have a suggestion. What do you think about some, if not, all of the following:

Making the races shorter/ possibly 50%
    Having them every week
    Keeping the same or 2 races in 2 weeks instead of 1 every 2 weeks (ex:Race 1 and Race 2 at Track XXXXX)

I think this may draw out more people due to the shorter time commitment, make it less likely for people to drop out of the races, and if you didnt get them in the first race- you have another shot in the second.

Just a thought as the season has a few races left. I know there will be a lot of opinions but could we take a poll or something....
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

I personally like the race distance. The longer the better because it gives you a chance to catch up, pull away, lap traffic and such. I think the distance between races is what distracts people from coming back. In other leagues I have raced winners get weight penalties and such. Reversing the field would also be interesting. Also another thing we did before is that if you win a race, the next race you MUST take a mandatory pit stop within the first five laps. If there was an easy way to "even" things up I think the pack would stay strong. It's no fun to be running around in last all the time (Dave). Not sure what the deal was but we lost a TON of fast guys from last year.

Mossie
    Warped
    Matt
    Todd
    Nabil

BRING BACK SRF!

Oh yea we lost Chris too.

I'm not sure if anything will draw more people out due to it getting to be real race season. It should be something we consider for the next season since this season didn't get a whole lot of buy in from everyone. Make notes of your ideas and we can take a poll on it whenever.

Mandatory pit stop?
    Race every week?
    Race length?

I'm open to suggestions to get people to come out.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 1417

Start the season in November after the RunOffs. Two weeks is fine if we're not running in the springtime. Too many other things to do that take up people's free time after the Daytona 500, including race real cars.

The cars we're using this year are great, but they do require a LOT of time invested to get good setups at different tracks. I know Keith says he uses the same setup everywhere, but my setups at every track couldn't be more different—and they took a LOT of time to develop something that was comfortable at race distances.

And speaking of race distances, I thought they were too long originally, but I don't think that after running the season so far. They do give you plenty of time to make up time, and the winner really needs to have a consistent run for a long period of time. There were a couple in there that I would have liked to have been a few laps shorter, but the distance had nothing to do with my finishing positions.

Slower cars are better for leagues, IMO. I didn't like the lack of setups on SRFs, but the cars were much less involved to get stable because of it. Made for better racing and probably better turnouts, too. Plus, your race wasn't wrecked because someone forgot to brake at T1 of L1 and ran over both of your wings. I do miss the SRF league.

And all of those Trackpedia guys decided iRacing was more fun. I guess they like to pay for their online racing experiences.

The race length does allow for you to screw up and then make up time to make your way back up front like I did at Watkins, but is that a good or bad thing? I think if it was a shorter distance and I messed up the first lap and had damage, I may be more inclined to drop out cause there was no way I could come back to race with anyone. Maybe for the next league if it's decided to race rFactor we could do the Caterhams or something. From track to track, I really don't change too much besides gearing. If I do start to tweak things it's already when I'm as fast as I'm going to go and I'm looking for tenths. A lot of the things that Colin mention are good in order to keep people interested. It just takes more administrative work I would suspect. Who knows maybe next time, we'll do iRacing with private races if enough people want. I've been through this many times with all the leagues we've done and the interest drops about half way though. Maybe we do a 5 race league instead....
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 25

I really like the idea of inverting the field. I do NOT want all of you crashing into me at T1 though. You guys all go really slow in Q. I'll get the pole and go to the back. That's enough glory for me!
    Dave

Good ideas. Another thing I have seen in other leagues is mini seasons. They will run 2-3 five race seasons, using different mods for each season. Also for more interest did you ever consider listing the league on rfactorcentral? As far as Iracing goes if I have to pay for racing it won't be behind a computer screen. Also as far as setup goes I have run the exact same setup for each race other than gears and wings. Never changed anything else at all. Changing all of those things would make much more work for Keith though. Maybe we could ad a Dave rule? Top 5 finishers of the previous race must consume 6-8 brewskies before the race?

That is exactly it. If you crash in the beginning or middle you can come back? Now when is that actual application. If the races were a little shorter, the guy who was consistent AND fast will be up front at the end versus the guy that made a mistake with 5 to go because the tires were going away and lost. I do agree though if we start having to pay for racing, I will be buying a remote control car before iRacing.

I like having the crash damage enabled however I think I knocked off the front wing 3 times last race....

Either way, as Keith Im sure knows; there will always be one thing: complainers. lol
    Matthew Inge

Yea, I would say you could come back when you have damage... don't forget the guy in front of you may have damage also, or spin, or be slower, or get caught in traffic Also being consistent and fast applies in a 5 lap race or a 30 lap race.

In my case, I think the only thing that should be changed for the next series is the starting and ending date. The Winter wonderland that is Wisconsin promotes indoor activities, but when late-March comes around and I can go out for a run without a parka on, the last place I want to be is indoors. Thus, the only thing I would promote would be that the Winter series begin in early-December and end in mid-March or so.

Since the rules and regs have been in place for this season, I say we should abide by them, especially since we only have three races to go. With that said, if you guys want to go ahead and change something, let me know.

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang

I agree. There was some slowness getting everything together between Stecher and I. With a newborn in our house I wasn't really motivated to get anything going until after the holidays. Hopefully we'll get the ball rolling earlier next year.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default i agree with jac's post...

plus:
    this season is already set up, so let's finish er out...
    a lot of people are busy i can understand that and this might make it so you can't show. but a plea from me: if you can (even if you are not really up to snuff on your setup) PLEASE do show. it has been fun racing with you ALL, so "IF" you can, please do.
    and, no matter what you do as far as making the rules, somebody will want it another way, that is one of those things in life i guess. i think when this September rolls around we can float a bunch of ideas and see what everybody likes the best.
    also, it is very easy to say "we" should do this or that.. but it also has to fit into the schedule of who/whom ever is setting it all up. i get to just show up and race and have fun. Keith, Doug and ?? have to make all of this happen within their own busy schedules.
    so thanks for doing all the work guys, i appreciate it. thankless that it is.

also, if i have to drink 6 or 8 brewskies before i race - i won't be able to find the wheel
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Santucci 33 View Post
    also, if i have to drink 6 or 8 brewskies before i race - i won't be able to find the wheel

Little secret Jerry. Open them all first. Then grab the wheel with one hand and never let go.
    Dave

Default good one...

"Use to be" --- CF #33

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Little secret Jerry. Open them all first. Then grab the wheel with one hand and never let go.

Liked: 6

For me, since this is my first season running, although I've only had time to run one. I have done a few practice laps, although not always on the server, I'm having huge trouble with the setups. I spend most of my time trying to get a descent setup and not getting to run enough practice laps. I've spent a little time reading over the setup matrix but.......
    Maybe I just really suck at the driving?
    Btw, anyone want to offer a setup suggestion for Heartland? I've tried 8 so far and either I get a car that's pushing, tail happy or not fastest enough on the top end.
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Don

If you log on later tonight (I'll try to around 10:30 or so) I'll send you my setup.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 6

I'll be there.

Thanks

In October of 2007 I finished dead last at the Runoffs and vowed that I'd never set foot at that place again. 23 laps in and I'm having horrifying flashbacks of being 4 seconds off the pace, except it's now 5. :P
    Jacques N. Dresang

You can come race with me Jacques, I'm having the issues with this damn track.

Alright, I got most of the drama in my setup worked out, but I'm still lacking grip. Oh well!

Who is all planning on making it tonight?
    Jacques N. Dresang

Im there
    Matthew Inge

Liked: 9

I'll be there bringing up the rear again!

There will at least be 4 now!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I will attend the first lap again!

Not sure if Dave (tifosi) will make it.... I got some secret spy pictures.... not sure if he is fully recovered yet. haha...

Recovered from what? A Schitz, 2 Lites and a couple of Squirrels? Sounds like brunch to me. That huge sun may be a problem for me though.
    Dave

Looks like you'll need SPF 10000000 with the sun that close.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    There will at least be 4 now!

Even on the computer, still can't get anybody to show up for a race in Heartland Park, huh? Awesome...

Cheers,
    Rennie

Liked: 1417

Schlitz... that explains a LOT.

I'm lovin the Schlitz tall boys lately!

That Schitz ain't mine Doug.
    Dave

Default my race tonight...

hey guys.
    was going good for the first couple of restarts. then i hit wall and got wing damage, then pit.. doing ok until anyone got near me. i mean like just in my area - warping or something - car went screwey..
    so - i got out of there so you guys could race..
    seeeeeeeeeeee ya at mid-ohio
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

HPT on rFactor: 'It's just like the real thing Dad!'
    Jacques N. Dresang

Those restarts were fun! And ZOOM into the lead I go haha.. Go job everyone. It was wild but still fun.

Thread Information