Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default USA Today Legends

Did anyone elso notice that the back page of the sports section of USA Today was a full page ad for Legends cars? (Jan.8, 2010). I wonder what would happen if SCCA Club and Enterprises got together and ran a similar ad for FE and SRF......

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by La Scuderia Raggi View Post
    Did anyone elso notice that the back page of the sports section of USA Today was a full page ad for Legends cars? (Jan.8, 2010). I wonder what would happen if SCCA Club and Enterprises got together and ran a similar ad for FE and SRF......
    I thought I saw something like that on a table this morning but here in NC I passed it off as local paper stuff.

There's something like 2000 Legends Cars out there being actively raced. I have plans to test one this spring at Lowes if I have time. They look like a blast to race.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    I thought I saw something like that on a table this morning but here in NC I passed it off as local paper stuff.

There's something like 2000 Legends Cars out there being actively raced. I have plans to test one this spring at Lowes if I have time. They look like a blast to race.
    We had a BUNCH of Legends cars that were looking for a place to road race in the Northwest. ICSCC opened the door and designated them as ESR's. We now have about 14 to 18 of them running with the club.

It's one race group that a LOT of other drivers in the paddock come trackside to watch. The Legends racing is clean and TIGHT! They put on a great show and do look like a blast to drive. With the tires they run you hear a lotta squealing rubber on occasion. As tall as they are you'd think they'd be unstable. But we've seen a whole bunch of um spin and I've never seen one go over.

They aren't as quick as an FC or regular sports racers. But they are having fun!

The drivers out here are really great and OFFER them up to any licensed driver that wants to try one out! And they are the first to offer 'for charity' rides at our benefit events.

If you can get a gaggle of them running they have a whale of a good time together.

With all of the road racing experience they get up here, a couple of 'our drivers' did really well at the World Championships for Legends in Las Vegas last November.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 0

I was planning on getting into that, but I really wanted to stay racing with SCCA, and they're a little bit pricey up front. I got a chance to drive one...on iRacing, and they were really fun. I was offered a chance to drive a Mini-Mod (Pinto engine with 200hp, Hoosier slicks, around a 3/8 oval) fully paid, and I could win some money, last season, but I never took that up, but I definately will this year.

I'm hoping to get a job with SCCA once I get out of college, and work in the promotional, marketing, division. If SCCA would spend money, and showcase training programs like PDX's, and solo's, people will eventually move to Club Racing (or stay in solo)
    Gotta spend some money to make some money
    SCCA WDCR
    Crew # 92 1986 Reynard SF2000
    Driver:# 92 1989 ITA Honda Civic Si

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 19

Default Missing the point?

While all the comments about Legends cars are great, I think that what Chuck was trying to suggest was that maybe this might be a good thing for the SCCA to consider.

FE is a really fantastic class and could pull in more drivers with more publicity (as Legends is attempting to do). Matter of fact, SCCA has a LOT of really great classes that could garner more drivers than the small segment the Legends folks are targeting.

Maybe some more discussion on that vein might be interesting, whatcha think?

Lee

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default "What what whaaaaaaat?" - Mrs Broslofsky

Did I just read about a 200HP Pinto engine?
    For how long?

Contributing Member

Default Yes Lee,

Yes Lee, that's exactly what I was trying to point out. I had emailed this to Enterprises and had hoped that my fellow FE'ers would make a little more noise about the FE, not the Legends or 200hp pinto motors.

Chuck,

It's because of marketing like this ( and the low cost of entry ) that they've sold so many of those little buggers.

I think a lot could be gleaned from those guys. (The Legends manufacturer also owns a place called Infineon Raceway as well as many other race businesses/tracks)

They've got the cabbage to be able to afford this kind of advertising:

http://www.speedwaymotorsports.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WorldSpeed View Post
    Chuck,

It's because of marketing like this ( and the low cost of entry ) that they've sold so many of those little buggers.

I think a lot could be gleaned from those guys. (The Legends manufacturer also owns a place called Infineon Raceway as well as many other race businesses/tracks)

They've got the cabbage to be able to afford this kind of advertising:

http://www.speedwaymotorsports.com/

Marketing shmarketing. It's the low cost of entry, races every Saturday night, 30 dollar entry fees (and you can win money), at least one track within 40 miles of 95% of the population(I haven't lived in a city without a circle track or 4 nearby).

Cheap (relatively) and easy. Something I just don't see road racing ever having.

Contributing Member

Default SMI

Mark,
    Thanks for the reminder on the SMI link. Just to toss this out, as a teenager I'd go watch the "super modifieds" run at 99 speedway in Stockton. paved 1/4 mile, 400+hp "open wheel".
    I wonder what the cost comparison would be in today's dollars to run an FE or a Pro Mazda in similar venues? Sound crazy to put a junior IRL in front of the circle track crowd? Could we do respectable times on a 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 mile paved oval and keep it off the wall (and each other)?Would the Satruday night fans be as excited about watching an FE or ProMazda race as a stock car, modified, sprint, etc? Anybody ever run a circle track? I wonder if any of the local tracks would be open to a test session and a trial run..............
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Marketing shmarketing. It's the low cost of entry, races every Saturday night, 30 dollar entry fees (and you can win money), at least one track within 40 miles of 95% of the population(I haven't lived in a city without a circle track or 4 nearby).

Cheap (relatively) and easy. Something I just don't see road racing ever having.

Joe, I fully agree. Road racing will never be this cheap.

Chuck, we have raced FM and Pro FM on all kinds of ovals in the past opening for IndyCar and NASCAR. I doubt you would get much club level interest in this though. Having said that has anyone considered taking those cool F600 cars and making a small oval series that mimics the Legends model? (What you may not know is that many tracks have a very tiny oval or mini square course that they use for these cars that is not as tough on the equipment or driver.)

Make mine dirt ready and I'll race it at the Petaluma Fairgrounds track that's a couple blocks from my house.

Joe, I fully agree. Road racing will never be this cheap.

Chuck, we have raced FM and Pro FM on all kinds of ovals in the past opening for IndyCar and NASCAR. I doubt you would get much club level interest in this though. Having said that has anyone considered taking those cool F600 cars and making a small oval series that mimics the Legends model? (What you may not know is that many tracks have a very tiny oval or mini square course that they use for these cars that is not as tough on the equipment or driver.)

Make mine dirt ready and I'll race it at the Petaluma Fairgrounds track that's a couple blocks from my house.
    There's a group of cars, at least in the upper midwest, called mini-Indy's. Sorta the same idea. In Midwestern Council the ones that came out to the road courses were grouped into FC. Not nearly as fast as even me in an 89 VD but still looked like fun. No clue on powerplant but here's one in the background going through turn 7 at Road America

I never heard of those, so I Google'd it and didnt find the series but did find a car for sale.

Wow that's CHEAP!

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...-indy-CAR.html

Liked: 210

I never heard of those, so I Google'd it and didnt find the series but did find a car for sale.....
    Mini-Indy AKA Formula Indy:

http://www.formulaindyracing.com/

Photos:

http://www.formulaindyracing.com/07_season%20photos.htm
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information