Liked: 17

Default SV Ignition Recommendations

I am thinking about replacing my Luminition ignition system on my super vee. 1600 water cooled with mechanical injection. Any recommendations?

Tim
    828-713-8947

Liked: 0

I went through a variety of ignitions last season with my Ralt RT 5.

Points and coil good to about 7000 rpm, simple, parts are easy. Bosch blue coil good to about 7500. Have this same set up on my Ferrari street car, and it has been reliable for years.

Aftermarket electronic points (pertronix, etc) with hotter coil (pertronix) similar to points. I have also used this on on a FF with good reliability. Low fuss factor. By seat of the pants, seemed to fall away above 6500 rpm.

Add on ignition box with coil trigger and big coil. Too much for the little Bosch distributor. Only advantage I could see less fuel loading on the cold race spark plugs at lower rpm.

Finally, called Bertils and he sent out his crank fire, electromotive kit. This is it. Easy start on race plugs, good to 8500 + rpm all day long in any weather or fuel load. Only problem, make sure all electrical connections non stressed, the small wires will end up with a poor contact and the system will just stop. Also make certain to fasten down the a trigger wheel with pins or it will rotate on your pulley. And finally, the mount for the magnetic pick up must be perfectly aligned or the control box will not read the trigger point. Some of the boxes that electromotive is currently building have intermittent problems. Mail it to them and they will rebuild it for free. And finally, do not mount the control module in the engine compartment, it is sensitive to ambient temps.

I hope this helps. Any questions come to mind, let me know.

Scott B

Liked: 0

Default Supervee Ignition

I have a brand new Electromotive ignition, which I bought for my Ralt RT5, that has never been used. I was going to use it in conjungtion with a Racetronic fuel injection unit. Ultimately, ended up putting on a Redline injection/ignition unit. If you are interested, drop me an email and we can talk.

Bart Perlman

Liked: 33

Default SV ignition

i have that exact set up, Luminition system on a 1600 cc water cooled super vee with Kugelfischer mechanical injection on my 79 March. never had an issue with the system in the last 4 seasons.
    if you do decide to swap out, i'd be interested in buying your old system.
    regards,
    Fletch
    1979 March 79V, S/N 2
    Fletch
    March 79V

Thread Information