Liked: 146

Default Stolen Historic Formula Ford

Stolen from Hurlstone Park - Sydney Australia - last night 20th April 2008, Red and White 1973 Hawke DL 11 – numbered 11 - and trailer rego E74306. Trailer is Grey Canvas top, single axle. Trailer with car taken from ute after returning from Eastern Creek Historic race.

Reward.
    Last edited by Hawke; 04.20.08 at 6:07 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Hawke,
    I would strongly recommend hooking a fence charger to the trailer and hiding a switch to turn it off so you don't get knocked on your butt.

That will deter any thefts if you are fortunate enough to get it back.

There are ones that will run for weeks on a regular car battery.

won't seriously injure a wanna be thief, but certainly will make him look elsewhere.

Especially since the lawyers in the southern hemisphere are a lot less sue happy than they are here in the US.

Or a little old man with a sawed off shotgun guarding it.

there is progress here in the states though.

In Texas, I am told that it is legal to shoot to kill anyone that is trying to steal your property.

We need more of that sort of thing to protect us from the scum that would steal the things purchased with our hard earned money.

Liked: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    In Texas, I am told that it is legal to shoot to kill anyone that is trying to steal your property.

We need more of that sort of thing to protect us from the scum that would steal the things purchased with our hard earned money.
    Are you kidding me... people actually voted and thought this was a good idea.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Yep, in Texas you have the right to protect persons AND property.

I don't think it is a particullarly bright idea However, if the theives know you might blow them away just because they wanted your 1984 Dodge Omni they might just leave the Omni alone....imagine that. If you aren't out stealing peoples' stuff you don't have anything to worry about, except maybe a stray round

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Punks deserve it

A co-worker of mine was at a clients office the other day and he was carrying some computer gear back to his Toyota truck. He notices 2 kids underneath it and yells at them and starts running towards them - they hop out from under the car with his catalytic converter in hand along with a battery powered saw-all and zoom off in their Civic with no license plates. Apparently they are getting over $100 for each one they turn in to the scrap yard. Too bad he wasn't packing so we would have 2 fewer thieving punks.

Hope you get your Hawke back!

Liked: 605

two ideas

www.traileralarm.com

and i have a padlocked chain connecting through the wheel spokes of two of the trailer wheels on one side as well as two different types of locks on the nose of the tongue - but really all that would do is slow 'em down.

Thanks eye for the suggestion on the alarm.

I did have a chain securing the wheel of the trailer, but it now looks like they used a flat bed truck, and just dragged it on.

Of course, it was only parked there after getting back late from the track on Sunday night, so it will be OK, as it would be put away on Monday morning.

Liked: 0

Default stolen car

I truly hope the authorities locate the car soon! Hard to believe that someone would go to the extreme of using a roll back to steal it..unless it is someone you know. To me it was not a random act. Look at 'friends' or associates as suspects. My opinion is based on 30 years of law enforcement experience. Mike Canan USA

Mike,

Thanks for your responce. We do have an ongoing dispute with a neighbour, and our thoughts mirror yours. I think that they have just escallated the issue.

If somebody really wanted a car trailer, they could have gone to the track last weekend. There was a smorgesbord of over 200 in the trailer park. If they wanted a race car, they could have shown up after hours and taken what they wanted. The next garage to ours had at least 3 F1 cars in it.

Default No longer stolen Historic Formula Ford

Found today with trailer. Very dirty, and with the extinguisher emptied, dumped in an industrial area about 20 km away.

Looks to be complete, but further investigation will show more.

Default stolen car

Great news!! Intact and undamaged is amazing after all this time. That's for letting us know. I was wondering about it a few days ago. Mike Canan

Liked: 1

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable that it turned up that way. Many of should probably think more carefully about the security of our cars and trailers.

Coverage in the U.S. is around 250 dollars a year for my car to cover everywhere except on track. I think it is time to buy a policy.

Tod

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by todcp View Post
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable that it turned up that way. Many of should probably think more carefully about the security of our cars and trailers.

Coverage in the U.S. is around 250 dollars a year for my car to cover everywhere except on track. I think it is time to buy a policy.

Tod
    What the??? I'm paying around $600 up here in Canada for the same thing. How much coverage do you have?

Thanks for your comments guys, but I think that the biggest problem I have now is negotiating with the insurer, as I have been paid out. I should only have to repay the salvage value of the car. We still have to negotaite the costs I expended in recovering the car.

As far as insurance goes, the cost was about $500 per year, and that included track cover. It always seemed cheap to me.

Default stuff

You got it back..that is the most important thing. Have you had a chance to check the systems..motor etc. to verify that no internal damage was done? I would think the insurance company really would not like to have the car and would be willing to settle with you in a resonable manner. Just my opinion. Mike Canan

Default Kismet

The person who was behind the theft of my race car was gunned down in Sydney last Saturday.

What comes around ...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html

Liked: 1

Default ...gunned down..?

I thought the Aussies had given up their firearms to the Bradys and Shumers of their country?

Bill Roland

As usual, only the law abiding citizens give up their guns. The criminals, by definition, don't follow the laws and decide to keep theirs.
    Ken

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    As usual, only the law abiding citizens give up their guns. The criminals, by definition, don't follow the laws and decide to keep theirs.
    Good point, VehDyn. Out here in Arizona, gun control is developed at the firing range

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default I LOVE Texas!

Texas is a great state, and their laws often emphasize personal responsibility. Their laws regarding the use of a gun to protect yourself and your property make sense, too. First, Texas has plenty of areas where population is sparse and it may take the sheriff an hour or more to respond, so what are you to do if you catch a thief? Ask him to hang around?

Second, most criminals aren't all that stupid. They're just lazy. They weigh the probability of getting caught, the probability of being punished and the probability of turning your hard work into their cash. If probabilities 1 and 2 are low, probability 3 is likely. By raising P2 to the possibility of being shot and/or killed, you help lower P3.

If you look at the event that made the Texas law famous, you find that a neighbor shot two thieves that were stealing from his neighbor's house. Both thieves had prior records, and one was an illegal alien that had been deported before, and had sneaked back into the country. The world won't regret the loss of this sort.

I would be in favor of giving the shooter a medal, the key to the city and a life membership to the NRA! Hopefully others will follow his example.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by todcp View Post
    Tod, can you give us a contact for this insurance? Thx! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 210

From the article:

"Fahda, 25, was shot 29 times as he stood next to a petrol bowser at a Punchbowl service station"

That sounds like a classic case of 'over kill'! No wonder his buddies were mad.

Glad you found the car and all will be well!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

"Detectives are investigating links between Saturday's murder of Abdul Darwiche and the 2003 shooting of Ahmad Fahda at Punchbowl."

Am I the only one here surprised to see names such as these in an Aussie paper?

I remember a joke going around about Australia's immigration policy with a picture of a sign that says "keep the f*ck out". I thought it was not only funny, but also a VERY smart policy. Evidently, they don't follow it :-(

Glad to hear you recovered the goods. Sad you have to put up with what the rest of us do too these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    Thanks eye for the suggestion on the alarm.

I did have a chain securing the wheel of the trailer, but it now looks like they used a flat bed truck, and just dragged it on.

Of course, it was only parked there after getting back late from the track on Sunday night, so it will be OK, as it would be put away on Monday morning.

Alarm is a great idea..

Thanks for sharing..

Thread Information