Liked: 0

Default Anybody know the history behind this picture?

I found it and it was just labeled "German Grand Prix".
    What Year is it?
    Who is it?
    What car is it?
    Thanks,
    Adam
    82 Royale RP31

Liked: 29

Nurburgring, I believe it is '67, and the car/paint scheme suggests a BRM. Drivers were Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart. Could also be a Brabham with Jack/Denny Hulme.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications

Liked: 353

Late '60's BRM. Possibly J. Stewart. There are a lot of pix of cars "flying" at the 'Ring from that era.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

What a GREAT pic!!!
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com · www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Jackie Steward BRM P261 1966
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 24

It is the Ring ...14.7 miles track they say 187 turns...in fact JS said that...one of the Greatest tracks ever, and probably the most dangerous

Default driver: not Stewart/Hulme

Definitely the 'Ring.

But

not Stewart-- his helmet is white with his tartan band above the eyebrow.

not Hulme-- his helmet is silver with a single longitudinal band and (I believe) a perimeter band in the same color (dark blue?)

An alternate choice for the chassis would be Brabham.

Liked: 47

Default I'll Take a Stab at it

Year - 1966
    Who - Jackie Stewart
    Car - BRM P261 - 2 litre V8

I'm pretty sure the year was 1966 because BRM ran the H16 in 1967.

Couldn't be a Brabham - they had outboard front suspension.
    Last edited by Rene Gimenez; 12.15.09 at 1:57 PM. Reason: .

Liked: 956

John Surtees
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default 'Ring Flugplatz

Check the background - looks like a tinop that had rolled was left up against the bank off track on driver's left. As if the track itself wasn't dangerous enough!

Liked: 29

After further review, Stewart, BRM, '66. John & Rene nail it. The helmet is white and Stewart's signature tartan just can't quite be seen under the goggle strap. The tires in '67 had a lower profile, more like modern race tires, so this is '66.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications

I placed it in a couple of different photo shop and played with it...you just can't get a clear image of his helemet...but you are correct it is wadded up taxi cab on the right...

Quote Originally Posted by Joby Graham View Post
    Check the background - looks like a tinop that had rolled was left up against the bank off track on driver's left. As if the track itself wasn't dangerous enough!

Liked: 210

The greatest race in the history of motorsports took place at Nordischlifer (Nurburgring) in 1957. Fangio in a 3 1/2 hour F1 race. Iron men back then.

What happened:

Much like today's mercenary F1 drivers, Fangio had a knack for spotting the best cars. He bolted Ferrari in 1957 to rejoin Maserati, winning a 5th title with such sublime performances as the German GP at the 187-turn Nürburgring — pictured above — where Fangio lost 56 seconds and the lead in a pit stop, but returned to win by letting loose the most spectacular pursuit of his life, bettering the track record for the 14.2 mile Nordeschlifer ("North Ring") by an amazing 12 seconds on three consecutive laps. Fangio said, "I believe that on that day in 1957 I finally managed to master the Nürburgring, making those leaps in the dark on those curves where I had never before had the courage to push things so far."

The details:

The Lancia-Ferraris of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins lead away to begin with, with Fangio trailling them, but by lap three he capitalised on their squabbling to move clear into the lead. He remained there until lap 11, when he sacrificed his 22 second lead to come into the pits to refuel. Nowadays a fumbled pit stop might cost a driver a second or two. Fangio’s mechanics spent 1m 10s wrenching his tyres off and hammering new ones back on, while he chatted with chief mechanic Guerino Bertocchi and team manager Nello Ugolini and sipped a bottle of lemonade.

After bedding in his tyres on his out-lap, Fangio lay 51s behind Hawthorn and Collins. He began an awesome effort to reduce the gap. Afterwards, he spoke of sliding the car into each bend in a higher gear than he ordinarily used, keeping the revs as high as possible and leaping from one corner to the next. In one lap he gained an entire ten seconds on the leading pair. He then set a fastest lap 8.2s faster than his pole time had been.

As they began lap 20 Hawthorn screamed across the line two seconds ahead of Collins, with Fangio now just three seconds away. From the infrequent pit boards Fangio was uncertain whether he was tracking down one Ferrari or two. As they plunged down the Adenau descent he made out two bright red cars ahead of him.
    He darted past Collins at the first opportunity, but ran too deep and was quickly relegated back to third again. Wasting no time, Fangio drew back alongisde at the next available straight and brushed Collins aside.

Eager not to give Hawthorn the chance to retaliate as Collins had, Fangio pounced on the leading Ferrari as they navigated a left-right chicane, pinning his rival to the outside of the corner, perilously close to an unguarded ditch. Fangio was through, having overcome a deficit of nearly a minute in eleven laps of the most terrifying circuit ever built.

“I was stretching myself to the limit,” said Fangio afterwards. “Until that race I had never demanded more of myself or the cars. Whenever I shut my eyes it was as if I were in the race again, making those leaps in the dark on those curves where I had never before had the courage to push things so far.”
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 1417

Above photo by Rainier Schlegelmilch, August 7th, 1966: Jackie Stewart, BRM 261 at Brunnchen. Buy one for your garage!

And another angle of Stewart through Brunnchen...

Found this one of Gurney in 1967...

Denny Hulme, Brabham-Repco, 1967

Liked: 23

They were just practicing for that 'Fly GTI' ad from the 80s...all part of the German plan...
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Found this one of Gurney in 1967...

Gurney...Eagle a beautiful car ..even now

Liked: 33

That shot was either taken at Flugplatz....) or one of the crests in Pflanzgarten, complex. I will have to look closer again. If it is flugplatz it would be a quick right hand turn after this shot.

The Nordschleife is a fantastic place and one of the meccas of racing.

I might as well allow the cursing at me to start now, since I will let you know that I am intended to travel to Europe next summer and the first event I will be at will be the Nurburgring 24 hours. Later to be followed by Le Mans. I will be a marshal for these events if it all goes to plan. You can curse me out now,

Donations for travel and expensies are more then welcomed
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Can't help with donations...however I am great at carrying bags/luggage...I'm house broken and can be ....at times .....very quiet.
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 12.15.09 at 6:24 PM.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default more precisely...

it is 2009!....however the photgraphic image was captured in 1966 with Jackie Stewart aboard BRM P261 (2614) on his way to a fifth place finish (assuming this photograph was taken during the race not practice or qualifying)

Liked: 896

If you have never driven on the Nurburgring you MUST go there. I did about 10 laps there 2 different times & one of those times was in the rain. WOW, one of the MOST amazing experiences of my life & hard work too! I cannot imagine a 3 1/2 hour race & what it must have taken to do it.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    If you have never driven on the Nurburgring you MUST go there. I did about 10 laps there 2 different times & one of those times was in the rain. WOW, one of the MOST amazing experiences of my life & hard work too! I cannot imagine a 3 1/2 hour race & what it must have taken to do it.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

The 'ring is a fantastic way to spend a weekend, in 2007 I spent so much time in germany that I bought an annual/unlimited pass, you can drive almost anything on the track and you need to watch out as there will be everything including buses & bikes all at the same time, another fun one is Hockenheim where laps are around 15 euro and you get to do the grand prix course. the two are about 1 1/2 hours apart so you can do them both in a single day. if you do go to the 'ring, take a look at the memorial park those guys had a big pair to ride as a mechanic or driver in the old days that close to the trees at speed.
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Liked: 47

Its pictures like these that remind me that race cars should never have wings! BTW- if anyone has the video "Nine Days in Summer" which is a documentary about the introduction of the Cosworth DFV and Lotus 49, there is a great sequence of F1 and F2 cars jumping the Flugplatz during the 1967 German GP.
    Last edited by Rene Gimenez; 12.15.09 at 11:41 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    Can't help with donations...however I am great at carrying bags/luggage...I'm house broken and can be ....at times .....very quiet.
    Sorry I think I am good with bag carrying...I think. Will have my pack from backpacking and prob a spare bag attached to it also not including tent and sleeping gear and what not. I hoping to spend a month between the N24 and Le Mans touring Europe and visiting other tracks and such. It was a trip I wanted to do with my Dad who was also a marshal, he passed away last fall.

I am going to be putting his ashes at the Carousel on the ring, and a few key turns at Le Mans, and like to also do Eau Rouge at Spa, since it is not too far away. Damn F1 moved Monaco a week up so its same weekend as N24 this year. He always wanted to go there. Guess that is ok I am missing it, to marshal Monaco you need to speak fluent French, and I am very very far from being able to do that.

Also hoping to do some UK events since I was invited by some workers that I see at Sebring. Of course going to try to see all the other European locations, and really want to visit Normandy and see the historic locations before the sea takes anymore of it away.

Jay and the others if you have tips for traveling or any tips feel free to let me know, the more info I have the better off I will be.

And I have plenty of space on my gear and backpack for decals and patches for sponsorship

Thanks
    Love the other pics too.
    82 Royale RP31

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

That's just awesome

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default ring

trackbrat those were way way way too cool!!!

the best race video i never saw!

and loved the FV camera car chasing the F2
    Last edited by provamo; 12.17.09 at 2:37 AM. Reason: kantspel

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

This picture is hanging on the office wall at the Stonebridge world headquarters. It's Denny on his way to winning the 1967 "Suspension Grand Prix" I saw the poster at the Vintage fall festival at LimeRock about ten years ago and had to have it!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrackBrat View Post
    Donations for travel and expenses are more then welcomed
    I can't sponsor your travel, but would like to cover your costs for a Spaten Oktoberfest while you're at the Ring. Are you still on Kedvale Ave?

Jon

PS: My father's ashes are also at a Carousel, that of the northern kettle moraine variety.

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post

This picture is hanging on the office wall at the Stonebridge world headquarters. It's Denny on his way to winning the 1967 "Suspension Grand Prix" I saw the poster at the Vintage fall festival at LimeRock about ten years ago and had to have it!
    Denny had a BAD habit of getting cars oriented in that manor. When he tried it in the McLaren Can-Am's he did ENDO's TWICE!!!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information