Liked: 0

Default 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 4X4?

I've already maxed out my Land Rover Discovery! So now I'm looking at a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 4X4 with a 5.9L I6 Diesel. DRW with 41k miles on the clock. The thing is a beast and looks great but, I've never owned a Dodge or a Diesel. Plan on using it as a daily driver as well as a tow vehicle for a 20' enclosed CargoMate, CSR, and equip. Approximately 6000 lbs.

Just looking for any comments from current/previous owners.

Thanks for your help.

Mitch
    Mitch Schwartz
    Shannon 92PS/CSR

I have a 2003 2500 4-door srw Laramie that has been a terrific tow vehicle for my 18 Pace. I use a Smarty Jr. to up the power and improve drivability. I now have 80k miles on it and no trip failures/delays. The weak point will be the low pressure fuel (lift) pump which are known to fail at 75k+. There is a factory fix but aftermarket is much better and will improve performance. The 2003 auto tranny was junk from new and I had it rebuilt using Sun Coast stuff. 2004 has a much improved box, but Dodge waited until 2007 to really address their autos. GM and Ford are way out in front on this.

The back seat is not habitable for an adult for an extended period. I installed gauges (boost, egt, tranny temp) so I can see what is happening on those long grades.

Liked: 142

i picked up an 04 dodge 2500 a few month back and so far I've happy with it. I've put about 10k miles on it and it's been pretty reliable and a solid truck.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 8

I have been towing my 20' enclosed trailer with a 1999 Dodge 3/4 ton V10 gas for 3 years now. I use synth lubricants, and turn the overdrive off most of the time when towing on grades. With @ 85,000 miles on the clock, I am happy to report "no issues",,,,,yet?!

Belair
    Last edited by belair; 11.27.09 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarification

Liked: 123

That is one of the all time great tow vehicles. If it suits your load, grab it. I think the SLT is the lowest trim level, if so it's what I have and the seats are utilitarian. they will never wear out, but they aren't the most comfortable either. If it has a manual trans, the package is good for 500K miles. I know a guy who has over a million km's on his, in a tow truck.

Dodges of this vintage have what many consider the best version of the engine. Froom what I hear the latest ones, with the pollution controls, don't have the power or economy of the earlier ones. If I were looking for a new tow vehicle, the truck you are looking at would be at the top of a short list... My current pickup is a 2003 Ram 2500 with 5 speed manual and Hemi.

Brian

Thanks for all the inputs. Appreicate it.

Mitch
    Mitch Schwartz
    Shannon 92PS/CSR

Liked: 2

Brian, I have heard that you can't tow with a manual transmission, that it's just too hard on the clutch. I guess that's not correct?

Liked: 142

I towed a 44' gooseneck with 3' of extra height with an 01 chevy 3500 dually with a gas 8.1 and a 6 speed, no prob with the tranny or clutch whatsoever. Stop and go traffic majorly though.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 2

Yea, that's probably it, the sawing of the shifter.
    I tried towing with a manual S-10 for a while. I think it contributed to tranny problems.

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default 97 3500 Cummings

It only has 98K but all I do is tow my 20ft ~ 5K trailer. It's a dream. My wife drives it on occasion and also when trailering. Had to put a new auto in at 85K but the aftermarket is a monster. 19mpg around town 15 @75 on a tow. Biggest issue is the truck will rust around the engine. Drove it to work today (snow in NE). Drives like a limo!
    LJS Motorsports

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Horvath View Post
    Brian, I have heard that you can't tow with a manual transmission, that it's just too hard on the clutch. I guess that's not correct?
    The reason OEMs don't recommend MTs is the fear that many owners won't know how to drive them properly with the increased load. Hence easy way out is to recommend only ATs - which coincides with the market demand anyhow.

Having said that though if you do buy a manual, because you are a competent driver, it could be that the clutch turns out to be a weak point since it won't have been tested.

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default Pressure Plate / Clutch

Cheper to replace then a AT......
    LJS Motorsports

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 110

Default Ram 5 speed...

When I had a 1500 I knew the trans was an issue. We had a manual (bcause at was an issue) and put over 120,000 miles on it and used it to tow a 22' trailer. The only thing we heard is to not pull in 5th gear. Not a single problem...(except being under powered with the 318) -

cj

Thread Information