Liked: 4

Default Wheel Speed Sensors

Hi All-

Time for winter projects. I'm working on setting up my data logger, and one thing I'd like to get going are wheel speed sensors. The front uprights seem to have mounting provisions built in. Does anyone know the part they were designed for?

2nd question: Is anyone running wheel speed sensors on the rear? I don't see any easy mounting options back there but maybe someone has an idea.

Thanks!

-Chris
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 0

The Pi wheel speed sensors go into the front uprights. You will also need the trigger that bolts to the inside. If it was me, and I've built and supported a few FE's, I'd go with GPS for speed and timing and forget the trackside transponder and wheel speed sensors.

Chuck

Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

you can pay Pi hundred of dollars for it or you can buy the hall effect sensor end from Honeywell for $30. Then you need to find the right connector for the harness. I did this when my original ripped off with the wheel.
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Liked: 4

Yeah, I was looking for something more in the $30 price point. I'd like to put on 4 so that I can measure wheel slip. The best I'd found so far is:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...qMOzs5Xg%3d%3d

If honeywell makes the original, I'll see if they have something sized for the existing hole. Tips for the rear mounting? I'm thinking I'll make a bracket from the extra brake caliper mounting holes and try to use the rotor bolts as the trigger.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy...WELL/1GT105DC/
    This is where I bought it and I think they had drawings. For my FE. Same part number as on the original sensor. TTL logic interface.
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Liked: 2

Hi Chris,
    It was nice to finally meet you face to face at Sebring. The sensor that most data systems use, which the upright was set up for is a Honeywell or Microswitch GT101. Look at Newark Electronics for a decent price. I think the last time I looked I could get them in the neighborhood of $22 - $25. The next thing is there is a toothed wheel that bolts in place of the aluminum cap that the 6 hub bolts go through that can be purchased for Star Race Cars for the front. On the rear there is also a toothed wheel that can be purchased from Star Race Cars, it has to be machined slightly to fit on the output tripod housing of the gearbox, then gets tacked in place. As for mounting the sensor on the right rear side of the gearbox I’m still working on that one. I’ll post back with the part numbers for the toothed wheels from Star.
    Chris Doyle
    Surface Exploration Ltd - Rocky Mountain Division - CSR for Formula Enterprises/Enterprises SportsRacer - Shop 303.940.1500 - Fax 303.940.1509
    Elfwerx Engineering - Engineering & Design

Thread Information