Liked: 309

Default Swift 016a approved in FA

Although I haven't seen a press release yet, I have it from two impeccable sources this morning that the 016 was approved in FA with a 32mm SIR, as listed in the proposal. Other restrictions apply to the chassis as well, but that's the bottom line.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1

Stan,

Any idea how the 32mm SIR size was determined? Was it based upon dyno testing, track testing, simulation, etc.?

All three, Rick. The data traces from a leading pro-series 016s and 014s were compared to see where the two cars differ, then extensive simulations were run at several power levels. Finally, a fresh 016 engine was run on a trusted dyno with several SIR sizes to identify which size matched up most closely with the data. In view of the spec parts (wings, sidepods, etc) required to be run on an 016 in FA, and the added 100 lbs the car weighs, 32mm was chosen for the SIR. The same engine in a 'generic' FA chassis at generic FA weight gets a 31mm SIR. Once 016s enter the fray, the CRB will monitor their performance and adjust as needed. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan,

Thanks for the good info. Will the CRB be seeking "equivalent" performance (i.e. Zetec/Pinto scenario), or will the goal be for the 016a to be just slightly slower than the top 014's and RT-41's?

The aim all along has been to bring the 016 in at the most equal performance potential practical. Protracted parity nudging has proved *cough* unpopular *cough* in the Club.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

This is a pretty big develpment and I'm surprised there isn't more discussion. I've not tech savy enough to understand all of the consequences but this seems like it would be a pretty big deal to the FA class. I was chatting with an informed bystander earlier today and it was his impression that the 016 is too big and that it will be severely underpowered if it is restricted to 250hp. My concern is that this will be a moving target if the 016 is immediately uncompetative.

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by campbell53 View Post
    This is a pretty big develpment and I'm surprised there isn't more discussion. I've not tech savy enough to understand all of the consequences but this seems like it would be a pretty big deal to the FA class. I was chatting with an informed bystander earlier today and it was his impression that the 016 is too big and that it will be severely underpowered if it is restricted to 250hp. My concern is that this will be a moving target if the 016 is immediately uncompetative.

The FA gang doesn't throw a "Fit" about change every once in a great while, and isn't into the Spec Car (or engine) Club of America.

Jim Gustafson
    Racing Since Drivers Wore Goggles

Quote Originally Posted by campbell53 View Post
    I was chatting with an informed bystander earlier today and it was his impression that the 016 is too big and that it will be severely underpowered if it is restricted to 250hp.
    It's getting a bit more than 250 with the 32mm SIR, and should be competitive without being an overdog.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 4

The new FA engine rules also open up another can of worms.
    I'm putting a 2.5 Liter Offy 2-valve with no SIR restriction, and no compression restriction in my 014. Est. 325 hp.

Let the games begin!

Liked: 101

Default John B

Re-read the rules....under 9.0 CR for engines from 2.0--2.5 liters. Also, 32mmSIR will be a bit more than 250hp

Regards,
    Bill

Default John B

My Bad....I missed the 2-valve spec.....sorry

Bill

Default Stan

Hi Stan,

I owe you a call.........also, do you think the club would consider lifting the 4 cyl restiction for FA engines ? There are some interesting alternatives out there !

Regards,
    Bill

Liked: 2

well...if you all aren't concerned then I guess I won't be either. I'm new to FA with an 008 that I'm now selling to purchase an 014. Just to be clear...it's the informed majority's opinion that the entry of the 016 won't kill the value of every other car?
    Last edited by campbell53; 10.21.09 at 9:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    My Bad....I missed the 2-valve spec.....sorry
    Bill, you were correct. The <9:1 CR spec still applies to 2v engines over 2135cc.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Hi Stan,

I owe you a call.........also, do you think the club would consider lifting the 4 cyl restiction for FA engines ? There are some interesting alternatives out there !

Regards,
    Bill
    Call anytime...I'm always here.

Yes, there are lots of interesting alternatives out there, but unless a strong consensus developed in the FA ranks, I don't see SCCA lifting the 4-cyl restriction.

Anybody wanting to scare themselves even more silly is encouraged to consider an F1-67 in FS...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Doug,

I will have to respectfully disagree with Jim here........I think that your concerns about the 016a are quite reasonable. Many of the interested parties are not regulars here on Apexspeed, which is probably the reason for the relative lack of discussion. Don't assume that the lack of posts here means that no one cares about the performance of the 016a. There are actually some strong opinions within the FA community on this issue (pro and con), and I am aware of some long-time competitors who are absolutely opposed to this rule change.....they just haven't posted their thoughts here for all to see.

My personal opinion is that this change was somewhat inevitable. The FA class gets more cars and entries, the Pro Atlantic teams get a market for their used cars, Swift gets to sell more parts, Cosworth gets to rebuild more engines, etc., etc. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the 016 performance is limited so that it does not destroy the top-line 014's and RT-41's. If the 016 ends up with a clear performance advantage, then we should all expect the CRB to make prompt adjustments as promised. Time will tell........

As the new owner of a very nice 014 (congrats!), you have every reason to be paying close attention to these developments. In the meantime, enjoy your new ride!

Since the oversight committee has both a National Champion 014 owner and a National Champion 41 owner on it, you can rest assured that a close eye will be kept on the 016.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 77

In regards to both the 2 valve and 4 valve restrictions (SIR and CR) for engines over two liters, there were some errors as published previously. The corrections will appear in the next Fastrack (due out yesterday!). These are listed under CSR, but apply to both FA and CSR.

Dave

Default Dave

Can you summarize for FA, until the new, corrected Fastrack is available?

Many thanks,
    Bill

Liked: 24

If the 016 is being accepted for club racing, in what configuration is it being allowed.

Current Pro Spec Configuration with no modifications + a 3?mm SIR?
    Club racing GCR specifications? (I beleive the car fits outside the current GCR dimensions)

Jason,

Fastrack this summer listed the line spec for the 016, if approved. looks like pure pro limits on wings, shocks, chassis, and engine ( MZR only)

Looks like engine/ ECU/ is open except for 32mm SIR......the final spec may be different when it is released in the next Fastrack.

Regards,
    Bill

The proposed rule change was in the August Fastrack. As Bill pointed out, essentially Pro spec weights and components. The 2.3L MZR engine is required, although with no restrictions on ECU. And a 32mm SIR is of course required along with a spec air box of some kind.

Now we'll just need to wait for the next Fastrack and see if the BOD made any changes to the original proposal.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Bill, you were correct. The <9:1 CR spec still applies to 2v engines over 2135cc.

My bad. I misread the table in the June Fastrack and stand corrected. It looks like a 2.5L 2-valve would be <9:1 compression = unrestricted SIR, or 33mm SIR = unrestricted compression.

A 2135cc displacement 2-valve would be completely unrestricted though, and have a 40lb lower minimum weight. That could maybe make 275 hp. Still food for thought...

Liked: 24

I heard that an 016 ran as FS at the ARRC, does anyone know if it ran unrestricted or did it have an SIR installed?

According to Jacek's crew, the car ran in pro spec without the club SIR. I am not sure, but Jacek's lap times did not appear to be significantly faster than he has done in the past in his 014a.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    According to Jacek's crew, the car ran in pro spec without the club SIR. I am not sure, but Jacek's lap times did not appear to be significantly faster than he has done in the past in his 014a.
    The race winning FB had a faster lap in the ARRC race than Jacek's 016 FA.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Thread Information