Thread: radio system

Liked: 0

Default radio system

I am new to FE as well as new to car racing. I am coming out of karting. I am looking to add a video system to my car as well as a radio system. Just looking for some feedback . What is good and what should I stay away from.

Thanks for the help
    Joe

Liked: 4

WRT radios, I recently put a set in my car. If you keep an eye on the classifieds, you'll see used sets advertised here periodically. I have motorola CP200's, which seem to work pretty well, and have a better range than the little FRS jobs.

For my FE, I mounted the antenna on the front shock cover, which gives room for a ground plane to be added below the mount. I just cut one out of some sheet metal.

As far as video, I haven't done that yet, so can't help.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 218

Hold off on the video until a good HD system comes out. While I have great video with data overlay (CDS data overlayed on Stable Imaging video), I don't like the way it looks on HD TV's. It looks great on the computer or SD TV, but an HD image will be light years better.

We've had really good luck with Kenwood systems from Trackside. I think Trackside is an advertiser on ApexSpeed.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 4

radios: Kenwood TK 3160

http://www.tracksideradios.com/

Liked: 1

We bought the Sampson Racinig "Pro Package" which uses the Vertex radios.

http://sampsonracing.com/sampson_racing_new/home_f.htm

Good support. As with most of the radios, the channels are programable.

A ground plane will make a big difference in range and reception.

At the big tracks we use an old repeater that my brother found in his attic. With the repeater, we can talk anywhere on track at Road America.

scott

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Segers View Post
    radios: Kenwood TK 3160

http://www.tracksideradios.com/
    I have used just about every radio system out there between customer cars and my own cars. Do yourself a favor and contact Larry at Trackside radios.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 0

Thanks for all of the help. Has anybody used the AIM smarty cam system.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    Hold off on the video until a good HD system comes out. While I have great video with data overlay (CDS data overlayed on Stable Imaging video), I don't like the way it looks on HD TV's. It looks great on the computer or SD TV, but an HD image will be light years better.
    Steve:

There are several factors that affect the quality on big screens:

- Resolution
    - Frame Rate
    - Compression scheme
    - Bit rate of storage.

The unit you have records with:
    Resolution 640 x 480
    Frame Rate 30
    Compression MPEG4
    bit rate: 3mbs max

True HD that will record at 1080p will result in HUGE file sizes. I believe the thing holding up true HD systems with remote cameras is the availability of HD lipstick cameras. There are some all-in-one HD camcorders out and coming out but they are really not suitable to hang out in the air stream on a small formula car, IMO.

A BIG step up from what you have, in terms of picture quality, is true D1 (DVD) quality which is:
    Resolution 720 x 480
    frame rate 30
    Compresssion MPEG2
    bit rate to 10 mbs

Using the MPEG2 compression and being able to store at up to 10 mbs makes a huge difference in picture quality when you view it on a big screen. It looks like a DVD.

We are introducing a DVR that meets these better specs and can take up to 4 camera inputs. We hope to be selling it by Christmas so make sure Dana sees this ( hint hint)
    Last edited by CDS; 11.10.09 at 4:16 PM.

Thread Information