Thread: Runoffs Updates

Liked: 0

Default Runoffs Updates

Since I am at home for the Runoffs (suck), I would appreciate if someone could keep us folks on the outside informed about the events of the day. Anyone....

Liked: 1

It rained all day today for qualifying. I doubt anyone went out at all. Been sitting in the hotel all day
    Matt Schneider
    Jay Motorsports
    FE #31

Liked: 29

q1 results are already out on mylaps.com

basically, rained from mid morning to a little before we went out. mostly done during session but track was still wet.

I saw the weather forecast earlier, let's hope things improve. Thanks guys.

Liked: 68

There were 10 or 11 FEs out there for Q1. I was the lone idiot trying to run slicks; it seemed OK on pre-grid, but once I got around to turn 3 and started getting the spray on my visor.....

At least I got the car back in one piece.

Results:

http://www.scca.com/popup/raceresult...13506&file=883
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 3787

I walked onto grid, and through the fog saw what looked like slicks on Marshall's car. I'm thinking to myself....WTH... Then I realized he was from the Cheese State. I told him he was crazy, just for the record, as if he didn't already know it.

Sure was glad to see him return in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I told him he was crazy, just for the record, as if he didn't already know it.

Crazy perhaps, but it worked out better than I expected. In my case, luck is generally more reliable than skill.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Some of the toughest conditions I have ever driven in. Heavy overcast, drizzle, already darkening at 5:30 in the evening, and the fog rolled in. Coming down the front straight, you could not see the starter tower, the pit lane, and certainly could not see turn one. You had to look for the access road on the left and you knew to slow down. Fortunately, as bad as conditions were, most everyone stayed on the track.

scott

Liked: 447

Who woulda thunk it? Worst conditions of the year so far at Road America and you guys get a full session and everyone stayed on track!?! I would've thought for sure that there would've been cars off all over the place and a couple of FCY's or a BFA. Nice job keeping it on the track guys!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 9

Default It starts today. . .

Yesterday, conditions were absolutely horrible. Fog, mist rains etc. I am amazed that all kept it on the track. I went out on the track and promptly spun on the brief straight section going into the carousel. It was nuts. However, there were a few out in that mess that were flying around. Steve Stadel and Scott McQueen were pounding around. At least that is what I saw as they flew by me.

Today looks like it will be pretty good. The weather forecast looks really good. My bet is that all the fast times will be today barring someone balling it up. So far, only one casualty to the class. Rumor, is that an FE compatriot had an incident on Monday which required some significant assistant to remove the damaged car from the track. After being placed in the boneyard, the tow and hook staff and/or other officials refused to transport the car back to our brethren's home away from home. As a result, use of a quick jack was used to drag (literally) the less than operable hulk back to the pit spot. Given the trouble and presumably the damage that has occurred, one scheduled car and pilot will not see the curtain rise. 18 is now 17. Hopefully, the rest will remain on the black stuff and ready to mingle on the jewel that is Road America.

All the fast guys remain looking pretty fast. Rittich, Evans, Aleckson, Stadel, McQueen, Schneider (squared), Novack are looking good. Time will tell.
    Z

Keep it out of the tire wall, Zambo!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Zambo appears to have been clean . Our session was cut short by a FC literally breaking his car in half against the wall at T5. From my data, we got 4 actual hot laps before the black flew and ended the session. It looks as if everybody set a faster time today than yesterday (no big surprise), though I have a feeling that some of the guys never got a clean hot lap. Q3 will be interesting......

The standings after Q2:

1. Eaton
    2. Rettich
    3. Aleckson
    4. P. Schneider
    5. Novak
    6. McQueen
    7. M. Schneider
    8. Stadel
    9. Mauney
    10. Rackley
    11. Opperman
    12. Przyborowski
    13. Osinga
    14. Zamborsky
    15. McDonald
    16. Kelleher
    17. Evans

Wish you were here, Keith!
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Me too!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Looks like Q3 results are up.

Rettich 2:14.9
    Eaton
    M. Schneider
    Novak
    Evans
    P. Schneider
    McQueen
    Aleckson
    Oppermann
    Stadel
    Rackely
    Mauney
    Osinga
    Zamborksy
    McDonald
    Kelleher
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

14.9???? Throwin down!
    ProMotion Driver Development
    Young Racer PR, Marketing and Driver Representation
    http://twitter.com/ProMotionDD
    http://www.facebook.com/ProMotionDD

14.9 is outrageous. Congrats Scott! Now slow down!
    Matt Schneider
    Jay Motorsports
    FE #31

Good job Matt... you put in a good run in qualifying.
    ProMotion Driver Development
    Young Racer PR, Marketing and Driver Representation
    http://twitter.com/ProMotionDD
    http://www.facebook.com/ProMotionDD

Liked: 14

Any news on Wally hope all is well

Thanks Cole. Wally is ok. His car is not too bad. Looks Like mostly suspension damage but he says he'll have it ready to race Sunday. I talked to him after the wreck and he said he went through the kink just like he had every time, but this time it just came around on him. He says it felt like something went wrong with the car, which makes me wonder because I know others including Nick have had left rear tires go down. Nick had two in a row! Based on how he crashed it seems Wally may have had a similar problem. I seem to recall people at the Sprints having the same problem. Maybe there is something about these cars and this track that is a problem for left rears- that is just me speculating though. Could just be coincidence!
    Matt Schneider
    Jay Motorsports
    FE #31

Could be Matt. The left rear gets the hard work out during the carousel, and then is called upon again to go through the kink. GLad to hear Wally is okay and cant wait for the race.
    Matthew Inge

Liked: 14

Thanks for the update on Wally. One of the true good guys.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Inge View Post
    Rettich 2:14.9
    Eaton
    M. Schneider
    Novak
    Evans
    P. Schneider
    McQueen
    Aleckson
    Oppermann
    Stadel
    Rackely
    Mauney
    Osinga
    Zamborksy
    Przyborowski
    McDonald
    Kelleher
    Missed one....

Looks like these are still provisional - "scrub-gate" must still be in the SOM.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    - "scrub-gate" must still be in the SOM.

?

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    ?

Ya, what do dat mean?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

A protest was lodged against a driver near the front of the FEs who was scrubbing tires on the out lap. The complaint was that it severely held up the rest of the FEs, to the point that the front of the FCs caught the back of the pack on the 2nd lap.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 9

Default Notes from the brink

Marshall is apparently running for Congress with the last response.

I'm not.

Mark's times were protested due to excessive tire scrubbing which resulted in what is being called "blocking". The Stewards upheld the protest and disqualified his times in the third session. As a result, Eaton starts 4th.

Notes from the session-

The guys at the pointy end of the spear are really fast. Smoking tires, locked brakes and lots of speed were the drink of the day.

Wally is doing fine except for the suspension damage on the left front and rear. Minor tweek on the rear wing but nothing too major. Front nose and wing UNTOUCHED!! I came through the kink just as it happened. Video didn't work (sorry all) but it was pretty dramatic. I got taged witha bunch of crap from the side of the track but I am totally amazed at how little damage there was for such a shunt.

BS move of the day - Leaving Brian Novak's beached car IN the gravel for the session even after the black flag. Come on guys, it's called a tow rope. It's like they said "Hey, if you want to go off in 1; aim for Brian."

Matt Schneider!! Where the hell did that come from! Congrats!!!

Scott Rettich - Yeah, we all know you are fast, now you're just showing off. Way to go dude!

Erik Skirmants turning 41!! (Come on, we all know he still gets carded at bars.) Congrats Erik!!

Paul Schneider - Monster energy drink sponsorship!! But don't try to get any free drinks from the cooler in front it's either empty or Cole Morgan is pilfering them. BTW - Paul rallied to put a new imput shaft in his car after breaking one during qualifying. (Actually Peter installed it in record time which is why I nominated him for mechanic of the year. Who would have thunk it; a doctor AND a mechanic!!)

Mark Eaton - Ahhhh, I'm glad your not chasing me down. Remember, breathe; in with the good, out with the bad. Serenity now, Serenity now! Woosaaa; woosaaa!

Myself - I am going to Walmart tonight to buy a clue because I obviously don't have one given my times. Dropped 8 sec and went under 2:21 but that's just embarrassing when compared to Eaton and Rettich.

Z

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Way to go Novak!

Wow, STRONG Q time, on the second row, and might just be the guy with the least amount of time in an FE of everyone there...

(I wouldn't expect anything less, go get 'em!)

GC

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
    Marshall is apparently running for Congress with the last response.
    Nah - that gig doesn't pay enough to support my racing habit.

Myself - I am going to Walmart tonight to buy a clue because I obviously don't have one given my times.
    See if they have a six-pack of those - there appears to be a whole pack of us back there with you.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 23

Go get 'em Brian,

Looks like your in the middle of some really fast company.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Brett

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
    Myself - I am going to Walmart tonight to buy a clue because I obviously don't have one given my times. Dropped 8 sec and went under 2:21 but that's just embarrassing when compared to Eaton and Rettich.

Z
    Hey Zambo, what happened, did you leave your balls at Watkins Glen?
    I know you can go faster than that, so you better pick it up for the race.

Justin

So who is hung over?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Great coverage on Speedcast TV

Wow, I was actually watching the F1 race on TV and the FE race online. They both took the checker almost simultaneously.
    Great run for Evans - he showed blazing speed at VIR a few months back, guess it was no fluke!
    I was really pumped for my adopted lil bro Brian Novak. Bummed as he was sidelined, anyone know what happened to him? Was it another issue of a darn shift actuator f'in up? Hit/turned around? Flat? Wha????????
    Nice runs also by Scott R/2nd (who suffered actuator issues), and Aleckson/3rd.
    P. Schneider, sorry bro, just missed the podium and NO coverage on line, but goodresult just the same.
    Mauney - smoke show there worthy of a F1 engine expiration in Canada Corner, figured you'd pit...
    Bummer for McQueen, although no apparent damage w/ the hi speed off into the beach at T1, looks like there was some racin' contact on the front straight...
    Fine dice for 5th w/ Opperman (getting the nod), Stadel and Racklee, good show by the red trio.

Great race guys!

Marshall, Did an oil fitting come loose? Apparently you didn't notice a lack of power or else you would've pulled off so I'm thinking it wasn't an immediate blow up in Canada. Hopefully you didn't starve the motor of oil to do any damage, but you stayed out there a while afterwards.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 111

Spoke with Novak. Did have some actuator issues after getting hit from behind at one point. Didn't cause his off, though.

Brian said he didn't have the setup that Nick did through the Carousel and doubted he could have held him off forever. Got in a bit deep into Canada and looped it off. No major damage except desire, pride, and a podium finish.

Marshall--no update.

Eaton something odd like a damper breaking or something to that effect??

jim

Default Apologies to the rest of the FE grid....

Guys, I owe everyone else in FE an apology for oiling the track. It was not intentional.

Here's what happened:

Midway through the 4th lap, I lost second gear. In T5, I thought I simply missed the shift, so I kept going. Apparently, in T6 the remains of 2nd gear exited the transmission housing through the right side, spraying oil onto the tailpipe and leaving a quarter-sized hole (and making life very interesting for the cars right behind me). I still had full power, though - just no 2nd gear, so I didn't realize that the tranny was losing oil. My [incorrect] assumption was that I could just keep going, using 3rd for T5 and T8. I got no black or meatball flag at S/F, and I had no radio for my "crew" to warn me. As I came around through T7 on lap 5, I felt the car beginning to slow. When I saw the surface condition flag at the kink, I looked in the mirrors, saw the smoke, and got off line and came into the pits.

Frankly, I still can't figure out how I lost a gear and was able to drive at nearly full speed for another lap. I also don't know why I didn't get a meatball flag when I went past S/F.

No excuses, though - I know better, and I should have been looking in my mirrors enough to see the fog.

[Edit: Updated with new info from a witness.]
    Last edited by Marshall Mauney; 09.28.09 at 9:34 AM.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Matthew Inge

Liked: 1417

Or here. With the rest of the SCCA RunOffs class reports...

Thread Information